Anti Pier 40

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by QueensNick, Apr 12, 2012.

1. EL YANQUI

EL YANQUI Red Card

Jun 3, 2011
    ACEVEDO DIAZ Y CHANA
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    LIC wont happen the land has become to valuable and whats going up over there is high priced buildings for high income individuals... I dont think a stadium is in the plans in LIC today...it could have happened back in the days of the hookers and pimps and drug dealers hanging out on those factory filled blocks of LIC.... TODAY the lure of having a upscale extention of manhattan in LIC is to good to give up space for a stadium....

Citi field paking lot is the perfect spot... LIC i think its to late now to consider that area but i maybe wrong I dont think LIC will happen as fast as say citi field would right now...

2. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Citi Field Parking lot or Willets Point - there are your most realistic and best options and as I said before, think that location would be best served for MLS.

3. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    so maybe i don't really understand but where in the Citi Field parking could you put a stadium. i assume there is that much parking because Citi Field needs it.

it seems to me there is plenty of empty space in nearby Willets Point in the space between the Van Wyck, Roosevelt and Willets Blvd.

4. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the only way a stadium could be build in the parking lot is by adding a multi level lot across roosevelt. That was the plan Wilpon spoke of back in 08. The lot was something promised to the mets when the deal for both baseball stadiums were made. The Yankees got a lot paid for by the city and the Mets were going to get the same, but never did. Wilpon brought that up to the Councilman in a meeting we had with him.

The good news is that sela has the money to throw in the extra funding for the lot and it could give the whole deal more leverage.

HOWEVER, i think you are right the easier solution is Willets point and I posted an article from about 2 years ago in here where garber specifically talks about the plans of Willets point.

There is space in the parking lot but more parking would need to be provided either accross roosevelt or in Willets Point.

5. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    First, I think this conversation is pretty much academic because Pier 40 is not going to happen.

But, for the sake of conversation, I'll bite. Obviously, the Manhattan location has a certain iconography that Queens and Brooklyn just don't have. I think that from a pure attendance perspective, you can put more asses in seats in Flushing Meadows than at Pier 40. But that's not the league's interest, it seems to me. I think they're thinking that a manhattan stadium would put the league on the map with the media, creating buzz and television ratings (the holy grail).

I think that view is shortsighted. What they are overlooking is the compelling game day experience around the stadium that a Queens stadium would offer. The carts, grills, and soccer culture are already there. Soccer would both be shunned and subsumed by the myriad non sports activities that are occurring in Soho and the West Village all the time. You'd have these games at a sexy location, but in a neighborhood that has no affinity with soccer.

I think the type of game day experience that Queens would offer would create the kind of buzz that would force the media to notice, and that will create television ratings.

And don't get me wrong, personally I would love to have a soccer stadium at Pier 40. I could hop a west side train and enjoy a tipple of ricard and soda after the game for $14. But I'm not the demographic MLS is targeting, nor should I be.

6. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Hey shitbird, why don't you spend a little time fixing the website you're hawking on our board rather than coming on here and exposing your ignorance. We'd all be better off.

7. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If you have a stadium in Queens, Citifield in particular, it will be filled locally before anyone from another borough can even get here.

The epicenter of futbol is already here and not somewhere closer to manhattan. That's why Citifield makes so much sense.

Queens already is a futbol town. I see it in our sales. On FIFA days our sales are down a good 30%. On days when Barcelona played midweek, sales are non existent for at least 4hours.

This trend is becoming more and more apparent each year. Baseball never did this, it just caused traffic, now soccer is changing the scene.

Soccer has changed the economic scene in queens and it doesn't seem to be changing any time soon.

8. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Does know Wilpon this situation ? And therefore why it is so difficult to build a sss in Queens ?

9. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its difficult anywhere in this city to build a stadium. No matter what site is picked, its going to be a challenge.

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I don't remember "hawking" anything. I'm also unaware that the site linked in my sig is broken.

I'm also unsure what, in my comments, you consider ignorant.

1. If people want to go they'll go.

2. If people want to find an excuse not to go, they'll find the excuse.

Exactly what the hell is ignorant about that?

I applied it to the situation at hand where folks use the excuse that the MetroStars (then Red Bulls) were not in NYC as a reason not to go - followed by the existence of this thread where once a potential stadium site crops up within NYC, the excuses not to go to that location start appearing.

That's not ignorant, it's just pointing out the obvious. Sorry to bother you.

11. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    That's an easy question. What you are ignorant about is the demands on people lives that might preclude them from spending lots of time and lots of money to travel to a soccer game. You don't understand that most people don't travel around NYC in cars. You don't understand that public transit can be a challenge in NYC on the weekends. You don't even understand that for a lot of people, being a soccer fan is a lot more than just going to the game.

You don't know these things, and yet you see fit to comment while you hawk your little soccer pictures business on a ridiculous dated web site. You're a fool and everyone sees it. Now leave.

PS, watching you play the victim after calling people "poseurs" really says it all, doesn't it?

Buh bye.

12. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Right - attack and then play innocent - happens a lot on big soccer. lol

Also, for the average born and raised NYer, when they leave their Manhattan Office on Friday night, they dont want to be bothered with the city again until Monday Morning.

Not just for soccer but for most things.

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Okay, so the team has to be in NYC as long as it's not Manhattan. Got it.

14. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet a lot of these arguments could be said about the Ironbound district in Newark or the neighboring areas of Harrison, where Spanish and Portuguese flags fly, Barca gear is always on display, etc. Probably not to the extent of Flushing. Though, people that watch Barcelona daily have proven to avoid MLS over the years.

I'm just expressing my concern off of the success of (or lack thereof) attendance of existing franchises. I should've known that RBA would struggle once I realized that nearby NBA and NHL franchises struggled to get people in the stands. So when I see a baseball team in a new ballpark struggle (and it's not new) to get fans in the seats in a baseball town, it simply raises my concern. I still have Parking Lot or FMP at 3rd and 4th on my list (assuming G-point is dead). I'm just concerned.

What if it doesn't sell out? I mean...a reputable Mexican and Thierry Henry couldn't get people out to Harrison and its soccer-loving communities nearby in Newark, Kearny, etc. (I imagine winning would do it, but still.)

15. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man - you really dont know how to engage in a coversation. Whats your point? Make it! Dont just make an obnoxious comment and then come back and play the innocent act.

NO one is saying IT CANT BE IN MANHATTAN - actually we are saying if its in Manhattan - it would probably succeed

However, I also am saying a Manhattan stadium while great, would not capture the market the way the league wants to. I think a Pier 40 location would be more hurtful to Redbull. Which would not create two successful franchises and create a great rivalry in the area, which Garber wants.

The league always said there is a market of fans that are not being lured to an MLS stadium and they even have said its those fans east of the rivers. I guess not understanding NYC, you will not understand the demographic and the people who live here.

The stadium for sure can be in manhattan, it would be iconic and a lot of fun, but the end goal of that Cascadia like Rivalry in NY would take a hit with a Pier 40 stadium. Opinion of course.

Matters not, I really think Pier40 is a smoke screen and not the real location. The only location in Manhattan I can see feasible is Randals Island. I still think when all said and done this stadium is going to be by Shea. I could be wrong but just my gut feeling.

16. CosmosV

CosmosV Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Finally someone said it.

17. CosmosV

CosmosV Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Not an attack on you here but gut feelings have been pretty poor in all this. So your opnion on all this or whatever loses a little luster.

18. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well yea dude -lol - it hasnt happened yet so yea - gut feelings mean shit.

Ive always said Flushing Meadows, even when Greenpoint looked an option. I think Garber being in bed with the Wilpons has to much value.

Its been a long up and down road dude - there have been facts and opinions posted on the board. Some right - some wrong - frustrating too, your right. This whole ********ing thing has been frustrating.

One night you should meet up with us for a US game or something and talk to us in person. We will lay all the facts on what we do know to be true and what is speculation.

19. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Yes Andy Mead, that the only person on here who is relating to you is this dimwit ought to tell you something about the quality of your post.

20. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    What, and leave his computer screen for 5 minutes? Never!!!

21. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL - well thats a lot of big soccer - i always offer the invite.

Honestly - getting back on Track - we all know pier 40 is unlikely - but it would be a success - would it capture the market like a Queens stadium would? Your a manhattanite. Interested to hear your thought?

22. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Well I'm still a Brooklynite in spirit. No, it wouldn't capture the market like a Queens stadium. As I said in an earlier post, I think the league knows that, but is looking for the iconic value of having a stadium in Manhattan to put the league on the tv ratings map.

That was way back in post #30, before the moron brigade arrived.

23. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be a legacy garber could bring to the baseball interview when he eventually goes on that, that is for sure.

24. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Yes, but he also needs to make sure it doesn't turn out to be a white elephant.

25. CosmosV

CosmosV Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Let me know when you matter in the whole landscape of NY2 then maybe we will see. When you finally understand that the fans don't matter in the grand scheme of things(See Metro/RedBull) and that Corporate names and Corporate money is all that matters to anyone running a major company(Garber/MLS). You can go to town meetings like Orlando City or Charleston and think you matter but you don't. If they really cared about supporters such as yourselves than they would let you in on what's really going on but they don't. So cut your crap , you talk a big game but you really don't matter.PK's group proved that your all just window dressing, good to have around but not worth anything in the long run. Damn all this from my computer and it only took less than 5 min !