Another pro/rel thread yayz!

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by Black Tide, Apr 13, 2012.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing. Like always he threw some random statement he believes out there without any facts to back it up and as soon as he got called on it he's started twisting what he meant and moving the goalposts so he never has to admit he's wrong. Typical trollish behavior from DCU1996.

2. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are certain posters on BS (we all know who they are) who simply aren't worth arguing with, because they seem to have no ability whatsoever to remember the position they stated in a previous post, and instead just knee-jerk react to your last post, usually without reading the whole thing. Arguing with them is like arguing with your cat.

This is not an exaggeration: I am certain that with a little effort, I could create a computer program that could simulate the experience of getting into a forum argument with one of these guys. All I'd need to do is scan the input post for key phrases and then assemble a response post from a library of standard responses. But then a torch-wielding mob would likely drag me from my home and lynch me, and I'd deserve it.

------RM

Jasonma repped this.
  3. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Good thing AFC is willing to force pro/rel. I wish CONCACAF would do that"

Can I help produce the dataset?

Jasonma repped this.
  4. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    One thing is sure for me. I rather be a football fan in Blackburn than an American-football fan in uh.. say Norfolk, Virginia.

5. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has to be self-pardoy at this point, right?

6. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Why do you say that? Someone brought up a club Balckburn in a open pro/rel system.
    I brought up a no team in Norfolk, VA in a closed franchise system.

7. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because you repeated, verbatim, your position on that matter after 1.) it was demonstrated to you that Norfolk has A. an NCAA D1 football program and B. a UFL team a scant 28 minutes away and 2.) after a prolonged discussion about how humorous it is that you simply repeat yourself instead of providing new insight into the situation

8. chuwy2000

chuwy2000 Member

Jun 17, 2000
    El Paso Tx
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    http://www.worldfootie.net/?p=3360

I'll leave this here. First time I ever hear soccerreform. Hate to say it, but he doesn't sound as bat-sh!t crazy like his twitter makes him seem.

9. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Not surprising he'd pop up there. The crazy find each other.

One of the "bloggers" there, who is a friend of Ted, wrote this gem to remind you of the crazy. If you are looking for a well written and thought out argument for an open system, that also addresses the numerous realities on why it will not happen here, don't bother reading. Just pure pro/rel kookiness.
    http://www.worldfootie.net/?p=3630
    Apparently "the" MLS is a failure(who knew?) and pro/rel must be implemented now because that is how the rest of the world does it. It would be hilarious, if it weren't so sad and misguided.

10. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The article isn't really crazy. It is just completely bereft of any actual argument other than "pro/rel would be awesome."

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which, personally, I find crazy. ;)

12. chuwy2000

chuwy2000 Member

Jun 17, 2000
    El Paso Tx
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Oh wow. I hadn't seen that article. Did he even present legit reasons for pro/rel other than "the rest of the world does it"?

13. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pro/rel is magic.

14. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    As I said earlier, I agree that it's very unlikely the BofG would ever approve this, but beyond that if the question isn't whether to adopt it but how to adopt it, mechanically it would be much, much easier to adopt promotion and relegation in a closed, two division league. Not only would the standards be more uniform with respect to capitalization, ownership, stadiums, etc., but it would remove the fear of a team "free falling" down the pyramid.

With respect to extending the pyramid up instead of down, I actually proposed MLS and the MFL forming a single, joint 20 team first division a couple years ago (with each country maintaining its own domestic second division and below) with promotion and relegation linking the leagues. I still think that has merit, but, needless to say, reaction was far from positive.

(And I'm pretty sure some of the helpful suggestions I received aren't even anatomically possible.) :D

15. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    A true "SuperLiga" would be fun.

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would MLS teams keep the salary cap and Mexican teams be allowed to spend freely?

if so the 1D would be all Mexican teams in a few years.

17. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    We should probably start a different thread about it if we actually want to discuss it.

18. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The craziness kicks in when it is stated that MLS is a failure . What criteria he bases this on is not explained since it goes against actual reality. But I can only imagine it is, "Because they don't have pro/rel!" Then it reaches its peak when he says "we only have this system because we want to be different!" Tying recent USMNT results to not having pro/rel just adds to the fun.

19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well here you go.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/...at-if-mexican-clubs-want-to-join-mls.1943983/

I do not think it is possible, unless some big changes happen to the rules in FIFA/Continental federations.

I do hear the Netherlands and Belgium will start a united women's soccer league (D1) so maybe multi-federation leagues are not far away, I do not think it would be MLS like the tread I linked to suggests, but perhaps a split of top Mexican and top MLS teams to form their own brand new league.

20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, after talk of pro/rel making more games "meaningful" 4 of today's 10 final EPL games will have no effect on relegation, Europe, or the EPL championship. 5 of the others are games where 1 of the 2 teams are playing for nothing more than to increase their final position somewhere in the 6th-16th range (which to me is fairly meaningless but I understand opinions vary). Only the Man City - QPR game has two teams fighting to move up in the critical top 5 or bottom 3 positions.

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And this weekend in the Mexican league 4 teams are playing for something, the other 14 teams have meaningless games, I can not even find the Chivas-Cruz Azul game on my TV Schedule, what is Morelia playing for right now? :p

22. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While we're on the same side of the fence on the big picture, take the opposite of how you presented it ...

... only 4 matches of the 10 today had zero implication on anything. 12 of the 20 teams were directly involved in a match that had significant implications.

23. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    Agreed. Hard to argue that wasn't a wonderful advertisement for the EPL and its system.

24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But only one game had two teams with (IMO) something to really play for beyond the win or loss today. I'm not suggesting that the players didn't care but a number of posters have suggested in the past that teams who are out of the playoffs have nothing to play for, which makes games less interesting. Well to me 13 of the 20 teams today fell into that same bucket despite it being a pro/rel league.

25. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    It was demonstrated to you that ODU represents the school not necessarily people there.
    I was raised/lived in Norfolk, but went to James Madison University. ODU is a team for me to support for American-football? uh... f7cked up.

A UFL team, hahaha that's what I'm talking about. Thanks for proving my point.
    Wasn't there like XFL and other stuff? hahaha. Yup you certainly provided new insight.