Announcement for ATL MLS coming April 16th!

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by ArsenalACE, Apr 6, 2014.

1. ArsenalACE

ArsenalACE Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Rome, GA
    SoccerPrime repped this.
  2. Polemarch

Polemarch Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Sacramento, California
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I just hope they don't become NE 2.0. Given the amount of effort put into trying to get in and his son being a Soccer fan I remain somewhat optimistic.

3. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Atl is going to win it all!!! MLS, US Open Cup, CCL and FIFA.

4. westau

westau Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least this stadium is being designed and built with MLS specifically in mind. It also helps that it is in the middle of downtown Atlanta and on the MARTA rail line, not out in the middle of nowhere like NE.

Lucho305 repped this.
  5. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "sources close to the situation"? wish we had more to go on than that. if true, congrats, atlanta. wonder what happens with silverbacks

6. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    They should move to Birmingham.

7. chudbeagle

chudbeagle Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #7 chudbeagle, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2014
    By Doug Roberson

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

A Major League Soccer expansion franchise is coming to Atlanta.

An announcement is scheduled for April 16 in Atlanta, a person with knowledge of the situation said Sunday. The Atlanta team would become the 22ndfranchise in MLS and would open play in 2017, which is also when the new $1 billion downtown stadium is scheduled to open.

Falcons owner Arthur Blank has been pursuing a franchise for several years. Both sides have acknowledged that they have been in deep discussions but neither seemed to have a timetable.

A Major League Soccer official issued this statement on Sunday: “We are continuing discussions with Arthur Blank to bring a Major League Soccer expansion team to Atlanta; however, we have not finalized an agreement at this time.”

{SNIP - copy and paste is a no no. Link provided above}

8. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Orlando, Miami and Atlanta... The South-East push will be what everyone expected

9. rxdawg

rxdawg New Member

Apr 6, 2014
    Cumming, Georgia
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    This is beyond awesome. A few questions/comments..
    Regarding the post above that the team would play in a new stadium designed with MLS in mind.... I don't see that in the article. Did I just miss it? There are comments about the new downtown stadium being complete in 2017 (same time as the inaugural season, which scares me), but that stadium is the new Falcons stadium. It would in no way be designed for MLS, and the thought of a new team playing in a cavernous, mostly empty facility is daunting. They need a location built for soccer, probably what... 9 to 12 K seats at most.. not a partitioned off section of a giant football stadium.

Next.. details like team logo and name... Can the city of Atlanta possible resist our tendency to "WhatIzzIt" or put put together a complicated abomination like the Thrashers logo? Can we keep it simple, yet marketable? In the early 1800s, Atlanta was once named "Terminus." How about calling the franchise FC Terminus? Sounds cool, and marketable, to me.

Arthur Blank is the owner, right? MLS teams have corporate sponsors on the jersey. Are we looking at "Home Depot" splashed across the front? Heck who cares... Sounds as good as X Box! ;)

Last, if the team will not be playing at the new billion dollar Falcons stadium, please oh please put it in the north side of the city. A location on 400N would be so much better..

Such a great day!!

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stadium design. Think more Seattle than New England.

[​IMG]

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  11. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love for Birmingham to get a team in the NASL.

But I think the Silverbacks should drop down to USL pro and become the reserve team of the Atlanta franchise... Gwinnett Silverbacks

But as far as MLS getting a team:

BOOM SHACKA LACKA!!!!!!

12. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    MLS 22!! Everyone join Terminus Legion!! All aboard

Holla at ya boy and ArsenalACE repped this.
  13. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this is true, I'm gonna laugh sofa king hard.

At Miami.

15. ArsenalACE

ArsenalACE Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Rome, GA
    This is what it is going to be for MLS. The MLS configuration would seat about 25k and have a "roof" to create the intimate feel of a SSS. The two parts I am not crazy about are the suites ground level on both touch lines and the artificial surface. We can only pray the advancements in artificial surfaces will continue to make it a better option for soccer.

[​IMG]

16. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I agree playing in a SSS would be preferable, every indication has been that Blank wants the team to play in the new Falcon's stadium.
    The 25K lower bowl configuration may lead to a bunch of empty seats if Atlanta doesn't embrace the team...but building a stadium that seats 9-12K at most? That's not enough for MLS. Average attendance is now past 18K. The only teams that play or played at venues that small only did so as temporary venues until they could get stadiums built.

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just because Atlanta may leap frog Miami to #22 doesn't mean it isn't happening. Anyone paying attention to this new Falcons stadium and Blank's interest knows it predates Becks in Miami and would be done before Miami is ready (2018 is the new date).

18. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know all of that. At the same time, things have been pretty quiet on the hard news front from Atlanta recently. For all the sound and fury from down south, Atlanta made their presence known quite firmly.

Now to await the prawn sandwich brigade...

19. Alamo City Ultra

May 15, 2012
    san antonio, tx
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS is the Walmart of American soccer. Here is to hoping the Silverbacks can survive.

San Diego Socker and CorbinSC repped this.
  20. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No more "Gwinnett" crap! US counties are geopolitical entitites, not communities, and the leaders of Gwinnett in the 80's and 90's spearheaded the suffocation of any metro cohesiveness of this region. A thousand times "No" to anything more trumpeting the Gwinnett brand.
    I get what you're saying but in the insular market that is pro sports that's how things operate. MLS has been far more positive for US soccer than anything USL or NASL could achieve, so while I hope the 'Backs find a safe landing spot this is overall still great news.
    I have my Terminus Legion membership and am already budgeting for season tix!

21. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I want to get season tickets. How much do you think they will cost?

22. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Glory hunter. Support the Silverbacks before, during and after MLS. If they move then your off the hook.

23. MPoole

MPoole Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally, I remember when Garber came to Atlanta in 2003 and said that MLS would like to get a team started here, and then there was 2008 when Blank was trying to get it started the first time but backed out due to the economy. Atlanta fans can finally celebrate!

For those who are interested, 680 The Fan has an hour long interview with Arthur Blank tomorrow at 11 AM.

Lucho305 and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  24. ATLNewsDog01

ATLNewsDog01 Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Winder, GA
    So depending on who is conducting that interview, there will be between 15 and 45 seconds of soccer talk. Yay!

25. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    What's the over/under on how many rimes the Falcons/NFL is mentioned?