And we'd have won the league too, if it wasn't for those meddling billionaires - OTT [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by pgr17, Oct 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  2. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    take the blinkers off, Suarez was a diver in Holland and a diver in England, its not a witch hunt.

Amdrag repped this.
  3. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    I thought you loathed South American players? ;)

4. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's a biatch hunt.:)

Amdrag, johno, J'can and 2 others repped this.
  5. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That point literally scalped you.

6. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You got scalped too.

7. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    [​IMG]

8. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We are all biased I knw but some things just irritates me, it was okay for Pires and Henry to showboat a penalty but not okay for Nani to showboat against the same fancy playing Arsenal or the whole team would try to chop him down as it was disrespectful. It was okay to scythe down Ronaldo as he was a one trick pony and diver but Suarez needed to be protected and giving penalties.

9. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Anyone who has a reputation for diving eventually gets to this place. Unless they're British.

But then they don't have that "reputation" because the "LCDs and Meeja" don't perpetuate it like they do when "johnny foreigner" does it.

Steven Gerrard has no reputation in the English press for diving whatsoever. There's also this perception that Rooney would rather suffer a hail of swords and arrows from opposing players than go to ground.

Even so, it's still better IMO than when great technical players were marginalised in the English game, because the standard, accepted defence against such a player, was to have your 9 ft behemoth anchor man end his career.

"And that was a splendid slide-challenge by young Nathanial "Ripper" Hatsworth. Nice to see a firm young man showing such a hard tackle! Back to the kitchen with you Mrs Frilly Drawers! I say we leave the fancy stuff to the effeminate latins and gallics in the upcoming World Cup, which England will rightfully ignore like the pointless flash-in-the-pan it is!"

Father Ted and SirManchester repped this.
  10. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    real quiet like, slip me her number right quick.

11. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Dead!

I just died.

DWL!

12. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    like Gerrard?:)

13. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Goes without saying.

14. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    well i have always said Rooney swears at refs as if he has tourettes but it gets overlooked. i agree you have a point i just don't think you have a point with Suárez. i don't know how much more he has to do before people see him as undefendable

15. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Refs never targeted any player in the Prem era as they do now with Suarez. That's becoming increasingly evident.

The point all of your are missing is that it's not in defense of him.

What's going on are two things:

Someone decided to pick a scapegoat that they want to target to try and address diving. They conveniently picked a foreigner. It's evident what I'm getting at here. Suarez's depiction in the press is also less than flattering, using images where he scrunches his face, etc.

Secondly, the way refs are doing this is classless. They are retroactively changing the laws of the game in order to punish someone, not on the basis of maintaining the moral code of the game but with tones of race. I doubt any of these referees would treat someone like Gerrard or Rooney similarly. Not even close.

What's happening is a disgrace and funnily enough it is turning a cheat like Suarez into an anti-hero..

Well for those aware enough of what's really going on at least.

16. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Just to mention.
    This is my first time hearing about Gareth Bale's most recent dive. No one in the media, or even this form said anything as far as I've read.

[​IMG]

SyedZada, Futbol_Head and Invincible repped this.
  17. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    ^Wow. Amazing.
    A thread where every post is correct.
    Who'd have thunk it?

18. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    SirM - I was listening to the podcast Radio Cuju (somewhat poignantly, with ex-pro Alexi Lalas guest hosting) last week and they discussed diving.

They brought something up which I hadn't heard for many years: that diving is far less maligned on the continent, if not accepted as part of the game and even praised if done smartly.

My own view of diving (or at least embelishment) is that I'm not too concerned about it, if a foul did occur. It may be nice PR if a player takes hacks and kicks and tries to stay vertical, but if it's resulting in calls - especially penalties - being missed and chances going begging, it's just naive. If you've been kicked in the box, I've no problem with a player 'claiming' the foul by going down.

Feigning injury to get a sterner punishment or pretending to be fouled when you weren't is where I draw the line.

What's the general view in Germany? Is there a greater tolerance than in Britain? Is it just us (and also the US, though largely to denigrate the sport in favour of their own) that has the widespread attitude that it's plain cheating?

Another good point the show raised was the clear presence of diving throughout English football history. They used 70s Leeds as particularly notorious offenders.

19. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Here's an idea. Why doesn't Rogers\Liverpool have a word with Suarez about some of his 'simulations' like Fergie did with Ashley Young? Instead of defending him as the victim in every situation. It's that attitude that will probably keep the press on their back.

barroldinho and Amdrag repped this.
  20. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    i dunno... i fail to see how they pick on suárez in particular. his diving in England is like an Englishman tackling in Spain or like Crouch being called for "elbowing" or his 'jumping' in the CL and internationally. no one mentions Nani/Drogba etc missing out on calls. in fact no one even cares. so i don't know why Rogers or his crew feel their case is new or unique. they clearly learned nothing from the Evra incident or kenny's folly.

added to which who dives more than him anyway? who else would be a better example to use?

21. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    he clearly slipped. i know it is hard to see but look again. in fact if you close both your eyes and stare real hard you will see where Bale slipped.

22. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    SirManc has a valid point. No one player has been this vilified, at least as I remember, for diving in England. Granted, Suarez does it with such consistency that it helps the narrative continue, but the amount of focus on him is slightly out of proportion to the crime (or in proportion, given your opinion of the English press). Starfish has been doing this for years but he's captain England.

Suarez looks like an idiot, is a racist - it doesn't help his cause. And while I can detach myself enough to agree with SirManc, I absolutely love seeing Suarez seeing vilified because I simply dislike him. He's a talented player but seems like a bit of a cnut.

But one should be able to detach from the United rah rah perspective enough to recognize that SM's point is true.

Maybe this is a result of the media - but all that being said, I don't remember a player with so many blatant dives in such a short spell of time in English football. But that could just be what I'm fed.

23. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No one has been vilified like this, because no one has ever been this bad at it. It is like he isn't even trying. He is one of the worse divers I have seen. Add that he is a complete asshole and that he and the club continue to try and act like what he does isn't really what he does, and of course he is getting killed.

None of them would admit what he did in the Evra situation and now no one will admit when he does shit so blatant like this.

[​IMG]

They are a group of assholes who act like they are victims every single time something happens to them on that pitch no matter how obviously it is on them.

Maybe if they stopped playing victims in situations like this they wouldn't get hammered?

barroldinho repped this.
  24. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Suarez is an easy target. He's foreign. He's been found unapologetically guilty of something that is reprehensible, he has a bad "I'm a victim" attitude, he's ugly, he doesn't play for a fashionable team. Oh and he's a prolific diver.

I would feel sorry for him, if he wasn't a prolific diver. But he is. This isn't his occasional dives being magnified. This is his pretty frequent dives being magnified. And yet he continues.

I don't think anyone can deny that he's been unfairly targeted. What I don't understand is why we should care. We know what he isssssss we know what he issssssss Diving/Racist bastard! We know what he is!

Frankly, I wish we'd stop talking about him and that the media wouldn't magnify his dives because every time I see him, I get reminded that I share the planet with such an idiot.

sdotsom repped this.
  25. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Well johno do remember Everything you see exists together in a delicate balance. As king, you need to understand that balance, and respect all the creatures from the crawling ant to the leaping antelope.

Yes that includes Even the idiots too!