And the award for worst group name goes to...

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by CommodoreSlacksburn, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Cos_Mos

Cos_Mos Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Broomfield
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quinn, I for one really appreciate your explanations about how the name was chosen. Thanks for taking the time to let us know how it went down.

If you volunteered your time to make this merger happen: Thank you very much for you time and efforts!

If you volunteered your time and you are unhappy: Say your piece and then move on!

If you did NOT volunteer your time and are unhappy: Just shut the hell up!

Quinn 33 and meanderingjeeper repped this.
  2. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    What was driving the decision to merge?

3. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got to hand it to you Richard, that is about the most inaccurate and backhanded comment I've read in a while.

Ironic that for somebody talking about "clean slates" and "putting stuff to rest", I can't help but notice that massive amount of obvious butthurt emanating from this post.

4. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mainly so that so we weren't needlessly duplicating efforts (tailgates, buses, tifo, etc). Also because its gives us a bigger voice coming forward as a single, much larger, group. Another reason is that a lot of people were getting tired of the subterfuge and backstabbing that was going on behind the scenes.

There really is no point in being split up. All of the groups suffered because of it.

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without getting into whatever happened behind the scenes between Quinn and Rich I have to agree with Rich's general point. I always thought the Class VI chants were distracting from the point of being there, rooting for the rapids.

Just a personal view though, I never thought my opinion should stop the rest of the group doing what they wanted to do.

crazyjon85 and Cos_Mos repped this.
  6. Cos_Mos

Cos_Mos Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Broomfield
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This exactly. I just don't get into the: "Who are we... Class VI" chant and I don't boo the apposing left back randomly. I do plenty of boing but prefer to pick someone who deserves it based on their on field actions, but I don't want my idiosyncrasies to effect the group.

TeleRock, crazyjon85 and Jasonma repped this.
  7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What? That's crazy talk. ;)

Seriously though, whatever works for each person.

jayd8888 repped this.
  8. Rich the Eagle

May 13, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    All three groups did chants with their names in them in the stadium last year. That's a fact & is accurate. There's no 'obvious butthurt', so please don't put words into my mouth.

Thanks to the subsequent posters who understood that the point of my post was a positive thing.

9. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Within the context of what were truly the "the least helpful things" to the supporters movement over the last few years, as opposed to the context-free vacuum of this tread, I actually found the way you worded that post to be awfully loaded and passive-aggressive.

One group had 5 or 6 songs, while the other two groups had one song each...and the latter two were often reactions to the former. To me, that implies something. In addition, group songs if anything were a symptom...not a cause. Even then I think that is reading far too much into it, and it lacks a real understanding of why the groups did that.

Lets leave it at that and not go down this road. This thread has been useful in explaining the merger and naming situations to people, and I think thats a much better use of bandwidth.

10. 30Something

30Something Member

Jun 3, 2004
    5280 Feet
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally agree with that.

Onward and upward.

11. Rich the Eagle

May 13, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We'll agree to disagree on whether my post was any of the things you accuse it of being. Back on track, the discussion issue is whether all the people on here think that group songs are something we want to have or whether the past teaches us that group songs can be negative things. I believe in the latter.

12. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty confident you're in the minority. It would also be more appropriate for the group itself to decide, rather than the tiny sample size of people that are reading this thread.

13. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, but I will still give my opinion here.

If it is a chant/song that is just about the SG. Waste of time during a home game because all it will do is ostracize the non-member fans. Maybe it would be ok while on the road to do something like that though, but even then it has too much of a "look at us, we think we're awesome" feel than a "we love our team more than you" feel.

If the song/chant is something about how the team is great and the SG will support them, that's fine as long as it really is more about the team, and since there is only one group now, maybe the rest of the crowd will join in. To encourage full stadium involvement though I would encourage not peppering in the SG name too much.

14. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Maybe this will change with the groups joining together, but from where I sit (west side), I can never make out what anyone's singing.

COMtnGuy and crazyjon85 repped this.
  15. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're going to push really hard this year to make that a thing of the past. Having the terraces together for more than two games will help. We're also trying to make the capo and drummer situation more organized.

jayd8888, Jasonma and Stuart95 repped this.
  16. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Focus on the big picture here, regardless of what the group is called or whether or not they chant C38, it will be great have a unified SG coordinating chants across DSG. This is a great step forward. I'm hoping to make it back to Colorado for some matches to see this is action. Again, kudos to everyone who made this happen.

17. TeleRock

TeleRock Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For clarification, I'm OK with the name . . . I just don't think it's particularly awesome. Mostly, I'm perturbed with how it was presented to the supporters. We got an email saying, "Vote, the winner will be the theme we run with" . . . but in reality half of the list that was given to us was eliminated behind closed doors essentially nullifying any vote for those options. From the outside looking in, it certainly seems like a vocal few got exactly what they wanted and doesn't really reflect the group votes.

That being said, I completely agree with Quinn's points regarding singability, marketability, etc. . . . and as with anything, it's what you make of it.

COMtnGuy and Jasonma repped this.
  18. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God, I really wish it was actually that simple...

We looked at what themes everybody voted on and broke it down into percentages to get a grasp of what people wanted. We then went through the options, seeing how/if we could mix and match in such a way the we kept the most people happy...but at the same time not make all of the other criteria impossible.

We rejected some of the popular themes because people were far to polarized on them one way or the other, "Mile High" and "Queen City" were good examples of this. We also cut out pretty much all of the military terms such as "brigade, legion, militia, etc." because we felt like people were trying way to hard to sound like "Pid Army" without actually calling it "Pid Army".

If you really want to know why we ended up doing it this way, look no further than the scarf voting incident last year. Pid Army and Class VI wanted to try a joint scarf. In theory each side would be dedicated to have one group per side and everybody would vote on the best option. In practice however, it was a complete and utter disaster. We ended up with options that would have clashed like a clown pants, and people ended up voting based on what they hated rather than what they liked. We also caught people trying to cheat and stuffing the ballot box. It become apparent that nobody was going to like whatever design would win the voting, so we made the executive decision to scrap the whole thing.

We really didn't want a repeat of that, particularly with something as important as a name. This really was the best way to do it.

19. CommodoreSlacksburn

Apr 11, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It just came to me that if "5280" was struck down in the name choice because its too Denver specific should we ask the rapids to take the 5280 off of their jerseys?

22SteveD repped this.
  20. commercecity

commercecity Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Commerce City, CO
    I don't care for it, it's a nod to heritage, maybe, but since the move out of Denver, 5280 is a point in space above every MLS stadium, including the Dick.

14,265 would be more Colorado, less Denver.

21. jdub3379

jdub3379 Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we're gonna keep this thread around can we at least change the thread title? A C38 thread is helpful for info for all, it shouldn't have such a condescending title. Or start a new one and merge?

CommodoreSlacksburn, Jasonma and Cos_Mos repped this.
  22. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

23. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All, I know is all the bickering and bantering and disliking each other needs to be done on personal time at the tailgates or bar across the street work out the differences in words like men and not violence like animals / psychopath's. Another thing as many as supporter groups as there are a time has come to when we all must unite and choreograph our chant's at the same time EVERY GAME 15 mins in start with a here we go rapids. 25 mins rapids till i did. 40-45 mins walking in a rapids wonderland yada yada so forth. But i also think we are just using recycled chants that every mls team creates. We all need to brain storm better new chants. We are all one club. its about time all the supporters act like it.

I want to see more costumes. unity and willingness to go crazy until the entire crowd gets into it. we might be small in numbers but what we dont got in numbers we sure as hell can make up in everything else.

24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When has a Rapids SG EVER become violent?

And that's rich coming from a poster who laughed about the Zakuani injury...

crazyjon85 repped this.
  25. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the tackle on zak was clean. yes the rapids never been violent expect that rsl game when we all got kicked out.