And the award for worst group name goes to...

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by CommodoreSlacksburn, Feb 9, 2013.

1. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure where I saw it now but if I recall correctly there are 1K members in supporter groups. Rapids STH # 3K, so it could mean 1/3 STH's is also a SG member. Wonder what other MLS Clubs ratio (SG to STH) are?

2. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's probably more like 700-800 season ticket holders that now fall under the C38 umbrella, but I haven't looked at a new roster.

While we're on the topic of fuzzy math, the total number of Rapids STH's is probably about 4,000. Thats based off of their HERP DERP moment when they decided to accidentally release their complete season ticket holder list, which we determined that there were exactly 3,561 STH's at the time. It is also based off the assumption that Tim Hinchey saying new STH numbers were up a lot last year is to be believed.

22SteveD repped this.
  3. COphysicsDave

COphysicsDave Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Centennial State
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't mind the name. Is it ideal from my point of view? Probably not. However, the important part is that all the supporters are now under the same umbrella and for my money that can only be a good thing.

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just realized the Caribous would have been a great SG name.

BYLRPhil and Dom. FC repped this.
  5. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No it wouldn't.

6. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    C38 sounds cool. I never would have figured out what Centennial 38 meant on my own and I grew up in Denver. It seems like whoever made the decision wanted a cool abbreviation rather than a easily understandable name.

7. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    I'm pretty sure that that's what the 'C' stands for.

[Guy that gets everything wrong on SNL Weekend Update/off]

8. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Caribooze?

BYLRPhil repped this.
  9. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still going to call us the "38 specials".

10. 30Something

30Something Member

Jun 3, 2004
    5280 Feet
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lunatic Fringe

BYLRPhil and jayd8888 repped this.
  11. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alfred Packer's Pid Army ... eating up the league ;)

spot and RapidStorm repped this.
  12. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When we decided on Centennial 38 (C38), we considerd a lot of things. We wanted something that was:
    • Unique
    • Easy to brand
    • Easy to remember
    • Easy to sing
    • Would fit the identities of Pid Army, Class VI, and BSG
    • Didn't sound juvenile
    • Didn't sound dull as mud
    • Didn't sound like we cobbled too many ideas together
    Considering all of the above, its a pretty tough thing figuring out something that accomplishes all of that.

Trust me. We had a lot of suggestions that were very samey, too generic, too obscure, or something that a lot of people would have really hated. We examined each of the "themes" that emerged out of the suggestions, and this was by far the best choice.

Also, as far as having to explain the name to people, pretty much all of the previous groups had to do that. People can't make the connection of what "pid" stands for. People don't what the hell a "Class 6" is. People also thought the "Bulldog Supporters Group" was some kind of actual dog lovers club.

If you don't like it now, you'll get accustomed to it later. It's just like anything else. It's a good name.

13. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quinn, just pulling your leg with the Alfred Packer thing. C38 is as good as any name. The most important thing is that the various supporter groups are unified. That couldn't have been easy so good onya!

14. jdub3379

jdub3379 Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like the majority of the people that are actually in the SG are OK with the name (except TeleRock). Is the OP in our group?

15. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    With everything I've read here I must say the one idea up thread that seems to have some potential, not for the whole supporters conglomerate (coop?), but for a smaller and perhaps wilder splinter group -- would be the "Dead Kennys". It could be a hit on multiple levels with multiple demographics, zombie-ironic-local-National etc. etc. The name itself would give license to all sorts of fun over the top types of support (much like Section 8 in Chicago) and most important of all it would potentially add a lot of fun to the live and televised match experience.

16. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you ever see the women in that section? ZING!

17. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be only slightly better than Manatees.

18. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    disagree with the bolded

19. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty much wrong.

Easy To Brand: It is actually. No one else uses that term for anything and its not trademarked. We also has no problems grabbing good domain names. The abbreviation by itself is super easy to remember. Also the possibilities for designs, shirts, tifo, etc is pretty much endless.

Easy To Sing: The name can fit in 2, 3, 4, or 6 syllables. It's incredibly easy to sing.

Too Many Ideas: We had to include more than one idea because we had to think about about compromises. Two isn't bad at all. With all the people that helped settle on the name (which included multiple people from all of the groups), we all felt really good about the choice we had made. You have no idea how unusual that is. The choice we made was a very good one.

20. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    "C-Three-Eight, (clap, clap) F-T-W (clap, clap)" said one Dead Kennys member "this sh!t is easy!"

21. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    FWIW Cen-tenn-i-al Thir-ty Eight is 7 syllables. And I'm not sure how you're getting it down to 2? I'm personally with Jon on that point, it's a bit of a mouthful.

22. Buffbollocks

Buffbollocks Member

Aug 16, 2008
    Denver
    C38 Name: Growing on Buffbollocks, especially as abbreviated.

Cat Fight in Thread Over How to Sing Name: Buffbollcks turns back to building an LBO model for more entertainment.

23. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The both of you really need to think outside the box more. Using pieces of the name or abbreviations is not unusual at all.

Thanks through for reminding me that it can also be 7 syllables. So that actually means we have 7 different ways to use it and it can fit into 2, 3, 4, 6, or 7 syllables.

2: Three-Eight
    3: C-Three-Eight, Thir-ty Eight.
    4: Cen-ten-ni-al, C-Thir-ty Eight
    6: Cen-ten-ni-al Three-Eight
    7: Cen-ten-ni-al Thir-ty Eight

Odds are we will probably end up using "C-Three-Eight" the most. Thats the same amount of syllables as Pid Army or BSG.

Not so much a "cat fight". More like certain people throwing themselves in front of a speeding train.

24. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speeding train or speeding submarine? Speeding sub sandwich that is :)

Quinn 33 repped this.
  25. Rich the Eagle

May 13, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm still wondering why we should care whether C38 is easy to sing or not. One of the least helpful things all three groups did for relations was chant their names instead of pulling for the team. Now we have a clean slate surely we should put that stuff to rest?