An Uncertain Donovan

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by neems, Oct 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    This is not "directly" before the Hex. (Giving this interview on 1/23 and not 10/23 would have been "another thing entirely.")

This (coming at the end of the Concacaf semi-final round and toward the end of the MLS season) is directly before Donovan and his employer MLS need to likely consider either extending his contract or entertaining any possible offers that may be arriving for him to be sold this winter.

A lot of players in the US pool are likely going to go through distractions (of where they'll be playing their club ball) between now and the end of January.

Berks repped this.
  2. FakeFlopper

FakeFlopper Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    I think from the interview that Landon is just saying that anything can happen between now and then, and doesn't think it's smart to just pencil him in. (Injuries, retirement, him sucking, etc..) If he's able to, I'm sure he'll play. The end of the Donovan era will be sad though.

uclajames, Berks and StillKickin repped this.
  3. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's get to the heart of the matter. Landon, if you read between the lines, seems dangerously close to forever hanging up his international boots. He is clearly in a funk and doesn't feel like playing anymore. If you push him too hard, he's going to retire. If you give him a chance to recharge his batteries, then you might convince him to give it one last hurrah in Brazil. It's not a question of what I want. I'd want him playing every game. It's a question of what Landon wants. Let's not squander the chance to include Landon in his 4th World Cup.

Martin Fischer repped this.
  4. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, it would be unforgivable. I can appreciate that you and berks are trying to be pragmatic about the situation, but its only one way of looking at it.

Last time I checked this was a MNT forum and we were discussing Donovan's role with the squad moving forward. The next major set of matches is the Hex. His dealing with MLS is not of concern.

Although, it would be ironic if he (selfishly?) pushed for a career move elsewhere and just now realized that he might not be so bored with the game if he had applied himself fully much earlier in Germany :whistling:.

5. lplaksina

lplaksina Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Amazing how so many folks "know" what he "should" have done, where he "should" have played, and "how" his passions should have been displayed.
    Opinions are like derriers, everyone has one.
    Germany was a cluster xxxx, both Bayer and Bayern. If you take the time to criticize him for those fiasco's, at least have the fairness to seek out the facts of those loans.
    I personally have enjoyed watching him play for these past 14 years with the national teams and MLS.
    He certainly owes me nothing. Or you. (pl)
    And if he has had it with soccer, so be it. If not, I'll continue to enjoy watching him play.

babieca, Berks, yellowbismark and 3 others repped this.
  6. LuckofLichaj

LuckofLichaj Member+

Mar 9, 2012
    You've got beer goggles if you think there's hot girls coming out now.

7. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I got carried away with my personal frustration in understanding his motives. It's just difficult to see our current struggles at the National level and have Donovan seem disenchanted. I don't really WANT to be in the position to determine these things for him, but one can only wonder if he challenged himself at the club level e if he might be more engaged. Then again, it always ends in speculation.

Regardless, he will be gone at some point and that is a interesting future to consider.

8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The world of soccer is abuzz with the rumors of Landon's imminent retirement. Whatever the USA fans think, across the globe there seems to be agreement that he is a special player, America's Hagi or Stoichkov, and that the USA will lose a lot once he retires.

A recent poll about "players that carry their NTs" is here:

http://theshinguardian.com/2012/10/24/poll-on-landon-donovan-consequential-value/

Many Americans due to certain personal stuff ("He could have been great in Europe! He plays in a league that sucks! He plays for a team I hate!") fail to notice what an important man Landon has been for the team. The world does, though:

http://www.sopitas.com/site/183730-landon-donovan-se-retira-el-enemigo-no-1-del-tri/

Is the enemy #1 of El Tri retiring?

http://esportes.terra.com.br/futebol/copa/2014/eliminatorias/noticias/0,,OI6248765-EI18777,00-Maior artilheiro dos EUA Donovan cogita aposentadoria precoce.html

Greatest goal-scorer of the USA thinks of Retiring

Etc.

Also, there are news in Europe that he has refused a third loan spell with Everton:

http://www.tv2.no/sport/fotball/sje...paa-to-manchester-unitedstjerner-3908800.html

"The American Landon Donovan (30) has admitted that he recently said no to a third loan spell with Everton."

Although other sites are less definitive and hint the door may still be open.

As I said a couple of months ago, I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see him again in a competitive match --I said I suspected he may "pull a Bobby Fischer." I'd be sad over it, of course.

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    BTW, in an Italian newspaper (can't find it now) I read about an interview with Klinsmann at some point in early September where he had told them that he wanted to infuse the USMNT with youth. The writer inferred that perhaps LD stepping aside was part of that change, something done in accord with the coach to allow for new players to take his role, considering his lack of motivation.

Another thing noticed reading the reports: while the Portuguese media tends to call him "artilheiro" (that is, goal scorer), the Italian media tend to call him "fantasista" (that is, playmaker). What seems interesting to me is that in Brazilian futebol culture, the "artilheiro" is the hero of the team, while in Italian calcio culture, the hero is usually the "fantasista."

neems, Berks, StillKickin and 1 other person repped this.
  10. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's been both our best goal scorer and creator, although he seems more comfortable in the creator role, and has generally been pushed to be more of a goal scorer by necessity.

StillKickin and Berks repped this.
  11. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad he turned down another loan with Everton. What's the point of that? I'd rather he move permanently or take a few months off.

Yes, we damn sure could use him in the hex. But, I tend to take people at face value. This is the second time he's hinted he may be done with pro soccer. That's his right. He strikes me as someone with a lot of things on his mind besides soccer. I have no qualms with whatever decision he comes up with.

Martin Fischer repped this.
  12. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And again tonight dropping similar hints to Foudy on MLS pregame on ESPN2.

13. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [Mod note: the post to which this one refers has been removed, since it was loaded with insults (other posts responding to it have been removed, also). Remember folks: News and Analysis]

^Dude, get a life. Way to make judgments based on absolutely nothing except your own inventions and also manage to insult women in the process.

For the rest of us that actually want to discuss soccer, here's the full interview:
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/s...landon-donovan-eyes-break-from-soccer?cc=5901

"I don't want to feel that way. I want to do it because I'm enjoying it and loving it," Donovan told ESPN. "So I need time where I can just pause, and breathe and rest, let my body heal, let my mind refresh, and I think at that point, I'll be excited to play again."

"The hard part is I really love this team," he said. "I love this city. I love playing for this team. I love playing for our owner. So it would be hard to leave here but I've thought a lot about that, but maybe you need something different. Eight years of anything is a long time."

Something to note: there is an art to editing. This interview actually makes it sound like what LD's considering isn't retirement necessarily right now, but just plain old leaving LA. He even says at one point that he doesn't want to sit on the couch and just watch the World Cup sooner rather than later. He does leave the door open to retirement, but honestly, what this interview sounds like is more: he needs a break, and he likely needs a change of scenery. And until he makes that decision, he's not thinking about the National Team - which is fair. We've got until February anyway.

This is less "the sky is falling!" than what the press have reported elsewhere, and it was educational to see.

tab5g, Winoman and bungadiri repped this.
  14. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Go ahead. Spill the beans. We're listening.

No, he won't.

To paraphrase a movie title, he's just not all that into it.

Never has been.

As he said himself, playing soccer is only a job.

And people change jobs often.

15. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too far the other direction. With the amount he's given to the national team, have no idea how you can say this. If it was "just a job" you don't represent your country 140+ times.

16. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I can say it because he said so himself.

17. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is not what he said. You don't play for MLS and the Nats if it's just a job. You also aren't the spokesperson for World Cup 2022 and MLS and the Nats if it's "just a job."

18. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    OK, he didn't say it was "just a job" but he did say "I know this is a job", which is not the same as a different player - like Roy Keane - might think.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/blog/_/name/espnfcunited/id/1276?cc=5901

Here's Roy Keane's take. Just substitute LA for London :

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Dude... if there is one reason for a man to get all down and depressed, it's a divorce.

Ever been there? Don't be so harsh if you have not.

20. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First, you're quoting The Daily Mail. Second, I could give a flying hoohah what Roy Keane thinks, especially based on the fact that he thinks players don't want to come to anywhere but London because their wives want to go shopping in London - two great statements about women married to athletes in 1 page, sigh. Third, better article, better author:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1170244/index.htm
    "All my life, all I've ever wanted to do was play." "Now I know: If I want to have a good game, it's right here."
    And with that, Landon Donovan pounds his chest, where his heart is."

"I know this is a job" doesn't summarize someone's attitude towards his entire soccer career. He could have been referring to the simple fact that his club pays him a salary. How about we actually judge his 140+ caps, professional play since age 16, 4 MLS Cups, 2 MVP awards, 2 Gold Cup Champion wins, 1 Confederation Cup Final, multiple WCQ campaigns, 3 World Cups, 2 Everton player of the month awards on loans he didn't need to do, and 7 All-Time US Best Player Awards.

Yeah, hoo. Just a job. Mailin' it in there. I just don't get the over reactions to the other side sometimes.

21. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm very happy that Landon followed his own heart, instead of following the Roy Keane example i.e., letting your ego as the best player on your national team completely alienate your federation and consequently keep you out of the world cup.

FuzzyForeigner and Berks repped this.
  22. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Laughable.

Berks repped this.
  23. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wynalda had some interesting things to say about Landons tenure. it is interesting.

24. mattie g

mattie g Member

Nov 12, 1999
    Northern VA
    The guy is the most talented overall player this country has ever had the fortune of producing. He's carried the national team for nearly ten years now, and he's feeling burned out. It's completely understandable, and it's also understandable that he'd voice that feeling. But I 100% do not think that he expects to retire from the game before 2014 - he's just being honest about his mindset.

I expect that he'll recharge his batteries and be a big part of the team that fights its way through the Hex. But by the time 2014 comes around, I also wouldn't be surprised if he's not a starter in every game - instead, being an impact sub when he doesn't start. That doesn't mean he wouldn't still be a leader. All it means is that his role on the team will have changed, as most players' roles do once they get into their 30s. And since he'll only be 32, it may be his international swan song while still playing near the top of his game.

All in all, I think what Landon is doing is actually quite the help to the national team setup. He's reminding everyone that he won't be here forever, and that the end of his international career may come sooner than most people think. That will force everyone to think about how we move forward without Landon in the setup, but if we're lucky enough to still have him hungry and playing near the top of his game, then it's only a benefit for the program as a whole.

Geneva, StillKickin and Berks repped this.
  25. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wynalda takes every opportunity to throw LD under the bus, or just be contrarian. At this point he sounds like a bitter old man. Almost like a dad who wanted his kid to live the dream he had for himself.