An Uncertain Donovan

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by neems, Oct 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Capable... but not a REAL replacement.... fact is... no one besides Dempsey has had the true impact Donovan can have in a game if he wanted to...

HartwickFan repped this.
  2. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    That's why I used the term "stand-in" as opposed to "replacement."

3. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Ahhhh... gotcha. Either way, I think Zusi is good for now.... but put him against top level competition.. and he's a fish out of water.

4. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Heh. Wish I could say that was intentional.

5. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zusi IS the replacement, he is just not at the same level as a 2002 LD, but come to think about it...neither is the current LD.

6. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    When healthy, Donovan is better (and different) today than he was in 2002. In MLS he could playmake or run off people in '02, but internationally he was a guy that ran off people. Today he can be either but is generally the one who sets the table for others. We haven't seen his 2010 World Cup form anywhere apart from his last loan spell to Everton since, except in that weird (and I think flukey) Scotland match.

I can say this pretty plainly, though. Without him, we're pretty hosed. Dempsey can't get the team clicking in the final third the way Donovan can (though he can score a lot of goals), and Bradley's ability to direct traffic doesn't quite equal the same ability to enter the final third productively on a consistent basis.

wsmaugham, Berks, Geneva and 2 others repped this.
  7. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zusi is untested outside of MLS/CONCACAF. I'm interested to see if makes a move to Europe, 26, will be his last chance. Unlikely he'll get much better but perhaps it would be best for him to make a move while his stock is high. Gatt can burn defenders in Norway, can he do that in a better league where the defenders are smarter, more talented?

Of course Donovan is irreplaceable. Donovan possesses the playmaking ability and vision that no other American player has. Not Dempsey, not Bradley.

wsmaugham, HartwickFan, Berks and 2 others repped this.
  8. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Landon Donovan.

There may be a replacement, but there is no substitute.

9. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think I would callup Landon for the Hex. Give him a break to recharge his batteries. After qualification, ask him if he wants to play for the National Team again. If he says no or he's not sure, then you have your answer.

10. usfootball20

usfootball20 Member+

May 15, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't the other way around make more sense?

11. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He keeps telling people he may be done in the near future. No one wants to hear it, but don't be surprised if he does just walk away.

12. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shh, don't say it!

But it's the truth. I don't see why a lot of people on these boards want to keep relying on guys who just can't do it anymore ( whetherit be due to injuries (Donovan) or loss ability to perform (Boca))

Dempsey is keeping himself at a high level, club wise, so he may have a bit more shelf life but he could possibly have a drop off as well.

13. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zusi is not a replacement for LD. Doesn't have near the pace, on the ball skill, ability to beat guys down the touchline, isn't as good a crosser and his through balls are pretty non existent. He also hasn't proven anything beyond the MLS and lower CONCACAF level. Has yet to even play a friendly in Europe, which is one reason I'd like to see him in Russia to see how he deals with higher pace and less time on the ball. There's also the issue of how much better will Zusi get at 26?

I like Zusi and he has a spot on our NT, but I'm not even thinking bout him possibly replacing LD in any fashion. LD just wants out of MLS and he will, soon. He'll be fine once he gets back to Goodison.

Zusi still has a fair amount to prove beyond having good moments against a Guatemala or an A&B. One reason Shea keeps getting called is that he's 4 years younger than Zusi, and has already shown at France, at Italy, at Belgium, quality Euro sides that his pace and crossing ability stacks up against that level of competition and he can be an asset at that level, when healthy, and at 22 he has a few years to refine that talent. Zusi has been much more impressive of late than Shea, but he still has to show his quality is an asset against that level of competition. The fact that Gatt is also considerably younger, has upside to tap into and great pace which can be an asset against the better sides internationally also enters into this. I just have a fear Zusi will get exposed on the wing against better competition. I hope he doesn't as it makes out NT better, but at this point I have nothing to go on as he hasn't faced that competition yet. If you don't have the pace or ball skill to create room to cross against a Russia, an Italy or a France, you're not a NT starter, let alone an LD replacement. We have to see Zusi show he can do this first. Well, at least I do.

wsmaugham repped this.
  14. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shea was terrible against France and Italy. He also was schooled by Panama.

Again, replacing anyone is ridiculous; the national team will just move on.

BimmerBenz95 repped this.
  15. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I trust the France coach singling out Shea after the match as being impressive more than your opinion, lol. The point also flew right over your head. But this thread isn't really about Shea and I'm not debating back and forth with you about it here.

16. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, I trust my eyes over anyone generally. And the second part of my previous post was on topic.

17. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Donovan can certainly still play for the US. Without him the US are less dangerous. He can move on if he wants but to act like it's not a big loss? That's insane.

wsmaugham, StillKickin and Berks repped this.
  18. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would certainly be a huge loss. It would be difficult to replace a player like Donovan. His vision and speed add a tremendous aspect, not to mention match up problems for our opponents, not readily recreated in our pool. It is frustrating for him, I am sure, to be confronted with the injuries he has sustained this year. He has been an icon for us. There may be aspects of this situation that we do not know. Who can say. I really hope that things work out, somehow, for him to continue.

StillKickin, russ and Berks repped this.
  19. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    If you can't see why people want to still rely on Donovan, you should just stop watching, because you're not seeing anything.

wsmaugham, StillKickin and Berks repped this.
  20. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. furby

furby Member

Mar 25, 2003
    Non-story. Donovan gets burnt out sometimes but maybe more importantly he also likes a little special attention, even if he has to straight-up ask for it. A year from now he'll be thinking about his legacy, scratching and clawing for his starting spot as part of his last hurrah.

Wake me up in 2 years when Donovan is starting in the World Cup.

22. la torre

la torre Member+

Dec 27, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An interesting article on MLS about how good of a playmaker Donovan has been this season: http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/10/23/analyst-extra-donovan-playmaker-still-charts

If he's not working with a sports psychologist or a therapist he should be. There's clearly something bothering him that doesn't have to do with soccer and he will be unhappy until he figures out how to address whatever it is. I wonder if he has been single since his divorce.

I hope he figures things out. He still has a lot to add to the USMNT and I could see him being our Diego Forlan in Brazil.

23. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    You're saying Donovan can't do it anymore and comparing it to Boca? What? No player can play when their injured. Its when he's not injured you still see great quality. When Boca's not injured its obvious its over for him not Donovan. No player will make a team when they're injured you don't preemptively discount them for a temporary injury. It was a bruised knee for crying out loud. We need him, We'd love to have him. And its only a year and a half away. I think he's depressed with all the small injuries he's having. A good off season. A transfer to Everton will do wonders. My only concern is now the increased travel for all the qualifiers next yr.

StillKickin and Berks repped this.
  24. usfootball20

usfootball20 Member+

May 15, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to tell if relationship status is relevant, but I'm 100% sure he hasn't been single since his divorce. The older sister of a girl at my school near Seattle was going out with him about a year ago. Not sure if they are still dating, but I had it confirmed by multiple people who knew the family that they were. I apologize if this is too off-topic.

25. Billy62

Billy62 Member

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    At the end of the Guatemala match, ESPN's sideline reporter, Marta Gonzalez, pulled Dempsey aside for one of those on-field quick interviews:

Gonzalez: "...what's allowed you to be able to continue to score goals for the United States, 5 goals in this round, 2 goals tonight?"

Dempsey: "yeah, nah I mean, you gotta give it up to my teammates, they were putting good balls in, I was just trying to get on the end of 'em... hopefully we can get some guys fit, like Landon, get him back, we need him, but uh, and it was good having Michael Bradley back..."

If Clint Dempsey thinks the United States still needs Landon Donovan, then I'm inclined to agree.

(*no link other than the ESPN3 tape of the game, the interview is 2:41:28 in, right at the end)