An Uncertain Donovan

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by neems, Oct 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to a ESPN FC interview posted today, Donovan is really considering his future and the nation team may not be a part of it. Now, this may not be breaking news, but this is the first time it has seriously been elaborated on by the player himself.

I don't think I need to emphasis the implication of such a huge decision, but this really opens the door to further analysis of the National squad. His involvement in Brazil is rested at a 50/50 chance. This is a huge challenge for JK.

Now I do not think that every thread should be assuming he won't be there. So, beginning with this article, this may be a good place to discuss/analyze the future without Donovan. This way we can keep the topic concentrated.

Where do we go from here? Who emerges? How does this change our WC chances (either leading to or at the finals)?

deuteronomy and Mr Martin repped this.
  2. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Didn't he say something similar before.... and then scored 3 goals for us vs. Scotland?? Or 2 was it?

I am not worried. For sure his last WC is this one.... and I see him retiring playing a year or 2 in mexico.

s7kru repped this.
  3. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did hint at it before, but this is a pretty extensive interview. He does much more than hint at it. Landon basically says there is a 50 percent chance he wont be involved and, for me, that is quite high.

4. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    While I don't disagree.... it's worrying....

I still think he's just going through a 'funk'. He just feels like the hot chick that is getting older, and doesn't feel 'wanted' as much as he was before, and feels there are 'just as hot' girls coming out now.... and just doesn't feel like he belongs.

He's for lack of a better way to put it... IMO... a 'sensitive' guy.

Like I said before, it just will take a warm welcoming from the boys in the locker room to remind him how much they need him, a couple of hugs, and phone calls, and then an amazing performance with teh USMNT jersey on AGAIN.... for that passion to come back.

I would be interested in reading a book of his too. I am sure he has some stories...

5. az2004

az2004 Member

Jun 5, 2012
    zusi and gatt see an opening here...

s7kru and FuzzyForeigner repped this.
  6. manq360

manq360 Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is about time we stop relying on LD to play for us in 2014. I am not sure why he is going through this soul searching, but he is (and I respect him for that) and it appears that he is may be through with the Nats. Since he has been so forthcoming about this, I think it is time BS and JK start to take him seriously. It is time to start looking for replacements for him. I say "replacementS" as I do think he is one of our best players and has been for many years.

But just as LD was brought into the national team, so others will be. It usually works this way when some particularly good player retires from national team (think Reyna, McBride, etc.), we think they can never be replaced, but eventually they are (or not, think McBride).

I have said all along that this WC will be a real challenge due to transition players. I don't think JK can be blamed for this, just, maybe, for not looking at new, young players earlier than he has. He will soon be forced to, and that's not always a good way to select people.

7. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, if he isn't enjoying playing, then he isn't going to contribute much, and if he isn't going to contribute much, then he shouldn't be out there.

That is his thought process. He has been carrying the ball for US Soccer since around 2001. 10 years is a long time with that burden. I think JK and the soccer community need to salute him for what he has done, show him some appreciation, and let him know that he can still contribute, but he doesn't have to be THE guy anymore. He doesn't have to be Robin Hood, just one of the Merry Men. I think that might take some pressure off and boost his enjoyment, and thus increase the chances he'll play.

Regardless, whether it is 2014, 2015, or 2013, we have to prepare for life without LD. Josh Gatt is the obvious choice. Tim Chandler (RB/RM), Pontius, Shea, and Fabian Johnson are also guys who could play with some explosion outside, with Dempsey a possibility on the other flank. Maybe Gyau if he has a big breakthrough soon. Or if Zakuani gets his papers and returns to top form.

s7kru repped this.
  8. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of great players go through something like this when they reach later stages in their careers especially if they start having some injury issues that they never had to deal with in the past. I'm not worried, I think he'll be around in 2014.

9. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    This is why we need to be proactive in mitigating his absence.

10. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Landon is seriously beer goggling then. At best we have a few butterfaces in comparison to him.

wsmaugham, Bolivianfuego and StillKickin repped this.
  11. FW__

FW__ Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I the only one who read it as "I think there is a 50/50 chance I play in the World Cup because I might not want to, plus Klinsmann might not want me, plus I might be injured, etc"

I didn't read it as I might not play just because I don't want to, but rather, 1.5 years is still 1.5 years away and who knows what will happen in that time.

jakepc42 and gsterp repped this.
  12. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, that's the way I read it.

13. moytoy12

moytoy12 Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Even when he had the hat trick, he didn't seem all that fired up. For whatever reason, his play with the national team this year has looked uninspired to me. That isn't to say that I think he is washed up, etc., but I don't believe the guy we have seen this year in the USMNT is starter worthy.

I'm not bashing him; LD is 1a or 1b for the USMNT when he's hitting on all cylinders. But I think it's best if JK starts preparing for 30 minutes of LD a match instead of 90+ minutes.

14. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He really needs to move abroad. Stoke that fire.

15. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Bravo. You just created the thread title for his move to Stoke.

16. LBS8844

LBS8844 Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Needing time to think and taking a break sure doesn't sound like another offseason stint with Everton, which one would think would put him in the very best possible form for the February and March WCQs. I can certainly respect his desire for a break, though. Sure hope the fire reignites and his body holds up, because he remains an asset to the USMNT. Either way, thank you LD. We were privileged to have watched you play.

Berks and StillKickin repped this.
  17. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't believe for a second he wouldn't put on a US shirt if he didn't think he could help this team. If his teammates and fans are looking to him, he will not want to let them down. I think he's just trying to maintain some perspective based on how his year has gone. I mean he has missed the last four straight qualifiers due to injury. I doubt he'd be saying this stuff if he had been healthy and playing.

I believe he has accomplished all there is to accomplish in MLS and perhaps that is leading to some of his mental stagnation, but I'm not convinced moving to Europe will reignite his fire for the game. If he feels like he's wearing down, then 10 trans-atlantic round trip flights in 2013 is not the solution. Maybe he should go to Mexico, where the level of play would provide him a better challenge and he's in the western hemisphere so he wouldn't have to travel far for the Hex callups.

Either way, he has given us fans more than enough. But selfishly, I hope he keeps going.

StillKickin and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  18. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    But read it carefully. He didn't say it was 50/50 based on his decision. It was several factors including if he's got injuries and even 'if he's wanted.'

I believe he is contemplating his future, but I still think the motivation will come back if he gets on a good run next season. Keep him busy. This is what he does when he's bored.

StillKickin and Bolivianfuego repped this.
  19. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Bingo.

20. holly nichole music

May 3, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    We don't need LD in 2014. A fit mentally healthy LD would be a nice spark off the bench. Especially if he went abroad and thrived. But he a luxury at this point
    I have been saying since 2010 that relying on LD and Dempsey to carry the team in 2014 is insane

21. Billy62

Billy62 Member

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    This might be counter-intuitive, but why not make him captain for the start of the hex? I usually see the captain as a symbolic thing, but it would give him a new responsibility and motivation, and serve as an encouraging factor for him to renew his commitment to the national team. He's a good captain by all accounts for LA, and lord knows he deserves it for the MNT.

Could backfire spectacularly of course if we end up with a half-interested captain.

22. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    We still have not come anywhere close to effectively replacing him.

wsmaugham, Mr Martin, tab5g and 2 others repped this.
  23. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Exactly. If people think Zusi is his replacement..... they have another thing coming to them.

wsmaugham repped this.
  24. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    You know, I have a feeling that if he'd wanted to be captain this whole time, he would've been.

25. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Zusi's a relatively capable stand-in. Gatt looks great, but has done exactly nothing at a level higher than Norway up to this point.