An interesting argument in favor of the electoral college

Discussion in 'Elections' started by superdave, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Technically yes that is the house. I guess I can't blame gerrymandering on the feds so it's my responsibility as a state resident to promote a system where we're proportionally represented in the house.

It just seems so much easier to have the president be that proportional representative ... but oh well

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Massively? Really?

The EC system mildly skews presidential elections in a pro-Republican direction because most of the really tiny EC hauls (3 or 4 or 5 votes) are good territory for Republicans. But it's a small factor.

IIRC, it wouldn't even have turned the 2000 election Gore's way, and Bush barely cracked 270 in that one.

3. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I'm actually with stanger on this - the EC prevents candidates from running hyper-regional campaigns.

It actually skews the politics to the middle, not the right. If it was a straight popular vote, then the GOP would have nominated someone way more conservative, and then spent most of their resources in the Deep South and the Plains.

4. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    This can't be proven. For every ideologue you might get in Alabama you may lose one in Ohio or New Hampshire.

A vote is a vote is a vote is a vote. There's no proof that regionalizing your campaign would have the best results. Another candidate with better policies and better personality could bring together a bigger coalition from several regions and beat you. If anything it challenges the candidate to find new voters wherever they are instead of focusing everything on a handful of counties in Ohio.

5. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    In theory, sure. In practice, there's a message that's tested well over generations with Deep South voters, while radical messages haven't done as well in other regions.

And while an ideologue's vote may count the same as a moderate, an ideologue is more likely to vote and more likely to motivate others to vote.

I mean, seriously, this is stuff they teach in high school.
    And a voting bloc is a voting bloc and a television market is a television market. Men are from Mars. The birds and the bees, etc etc.
    Obviously not, since we have an Electoral College system. We can't really prove hypotheses, you know.
    Except they're not, really. What happens is, while they have to appeal to the swing voters, they rely on their base to raise funds and GOTV.

6. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing that seriously skews the electroal college is the arbitrary cap on the amount of representitives there are in the house. There is no practical reason why there should only be 435 representitives with such a disproportion of representitives per person in the house. If Wyoming is guaranteed 1 representitve, then California should have the same population per congressman. So instead of the current 53 congressmen and 55 EV's it should have 66 congressmen and 68 EV's.

MasterShake29 and bigredfutbol repped this.
  7. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Though with some people, it's hard to tell the difference.

Boloni86 repped this.
  8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That seems reasonable.

But then we have to build a bigger congress every few decades.

9. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Wouldn't it be easier to have regional qualifying tournaments to eliminate minnows before they get to Congress?

GiuseppeSignori and Boloni86 repped this.
  10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Play in game

Wyoming vs Maine

GiuseppeSignori and Boloni86 repped this.
  11. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Michelle Bachman = Monserrat?

12. titanicsmarty

titanicsmarty Member

Nov 2, 2004
    States are people, my friend.

Boloni86 repped this.
  13. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's how it was in the early days of the republic. The House expanded from 59 members in 1789 to 435 in 1916, when it was capped there, with the exception of the two extra members that it briefly had from 1959, when Alaska and Hawai'i were admitted, until reapportionment after the 1960 Census.

Do I think that the House should be expanded? Yes. It would make each district smaller and theoretically make each House member more representative of a smaller region. It would also make the Electoral College more representative of the popular vote.

14. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    This tropical storm is actually one of the strongest arguments in favor of the electoral college.

15. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Who will do the seeding? NCAA?

16. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is that? It forces bullshit Republican nominees to stay in Ohio no matter what?

17. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Think about it, smartass. If high density regions were struck by a natural disaster and turnout was severely decreased, unaffected areas would have a disproportionate level of influence on the outcome.

18. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The electoral college doesn't save an election from being rescheduled

19. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Not all states have the ability to reschedule their elections. And even if a state did delay their election, some voters could still be affected long-term, especially the poor, the displaced, and those who don't have access to transportation.

20. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is less about the virtue of the EC and more about the stupidity of location voting. Why we aren't voting online right now is beyond me.

21. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Because I don't want Tagg counting all the votes??

Boloni86 repped this.
  22. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As if there is a difference right now

23. Iranianfootie

Iranianfootie Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I have never understood the arguments for the electoral college (ie. Presidential candidates would spend all their time in CA, Texas, etc)...well California, New York and Texas are where 25% or so of the American population is! So, candidates would spend 25% of their efforts on those three states. Right now, those states get about 5%! Is that fair for people in those states?

For example, without the electoral college, the 2000 election fiasco wouldn't have happened since well Al Gore had half a million more votes than George W. Bush so it wouldn't have matter who won or lost Florida by 537 votes.

But does anyone think this will be replay of the 2000 election (in reverse) ? Romney wins the popular vote by (let's say) over 1 million votes but loses the electoral vote since he loses Ohio? How will Republicans respond then? Will they push for a direct election and eliminate the electoral college (which would require a constitutional amendment)?

Thanks.

24. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    You need electricity to vote online.

25. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have communicated via facebook or text with at least 3 dozen people without power in the last 24 hours. You assertion is false.