An example of a Year-2013 payroll budget (NWSL)

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by WPS_Movement, Jan 14, 2013.

1. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    BOSTON BREAKERS:

Allocated
    Sydney Leroux
    Subsidized
    $55,000
    Heather O'Reilly
    Subsidized
    $65,000
    Heather Mitts
    Subsidized
    $70,000
    Adriana Leon
    Subsidized
    40,000 Canadian
    Rhian Wilkinson
    Subsidized
    60,000 Canadian
    Anisa Guajardo
    Subsidized
    315,000 peso
    Cecilia Santiago
    378,000 peso
    Player Salary
    Leslie Osborne $25,000

Cat Whitehill
    $22,000
    Kyah Simon
    $19,000
    Kristen Mewis
    $17,500
    Tameka Butt
    $17,500
    Nikki Marshall
    $15,000
    Ines Jaurena
    $15,000
    Jillian Mastroianni
    $14,000
    Bianca D'Agostino
    $12,500
    Taryn Hemmings
    $12,500
    Jess Lucinski
    $10,500
    Amanda DaCosta
    $10,500
    Katie Schoepfer
    $9,000
    TOTAL=
    $200,000

HOUSING: (Forest and Tree Apartments)

3-4 girls per two bedroom floor-plan.
    Each floorplan costs $850 per month.
    Utilities (air, heat, electric/gas, water/sewage, trash) are also paid for the players.

Each two-bedroom apartment/townhome at Forest and Tree Apartments comes with two bedrooms, two bathrooms, one kitchen, one adjacent dining room, one living room, and one patio/balcony. Separate carport is also included. One parking space allowed in carport per unit.

2. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for you, WPS_Movement. A dose of reality. (I deleted other comments that would have sounded like Ayn Rand or Mitt Romney.)

3. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do wonder what teams have to negotiate with, since obviously they can't do much salarywise. Our two-bedroom apartments are better than the other teams' two-bedroom apartments?

4. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Peronally I think the best negotiating tactic will be "Our coaching and training environment is the best. We will be a fully professional, with daily tactical and individual technical skill work. We will also have rigorous personalized physical training including assessment."

5. lukephan

lukephan Member+

Oct 1, 2012
    WPS where did you get these numbers from?

6. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe it's all hypothetical.

7. lukephan

lukephan Member+

Oct 1, 2012
    Numbers that intrigue me the most is Syd and Mittsy.
    How Syd would end up with 27% less than Mittsy when she has at least 27% more potential than her?

8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because WPS_Movement made up the numbers. They aren't real.

The title of this thread is completely misleading. WPS_Movement did not post an example of a real budget. They posted their own hypothetical, made up numbers.

9. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Which is why it's titled an "example" of a budget (aka hypothetical).
    There is no official payroll list yet, because most players aren't even signed yet.
    Why would anyone actually think that there's a real payroll list out there?
    We know the budget (max. salary cap) is $200,000, and we know that the players haven't signed yet.

And the allocated players salaries are also hypothetical.
    I was assuming Mitts is paid more than Leroux, because she's been with the national team a lot longer, and because of that seniority, total time put in to the national team, merit, etc.

The point of the thread is to show an example of what a budget would look like.
    Some players will get 2 to 3 times more than other free agents. Maybe 4 times more.
    Not everyone is getting $15,000 or $16,000. Some will get over $20,000. While others will get less than $10,000. The league and its franchise representatives have basically confirmed that.

10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Though the Breakers are trying to use host families for the players (I've volunteered to house Sydney ;) ), your plan above might need a bit of adjusting to reflect the local market. An apartment of any quality inside 128 is going to run at least $500 per bedroom and probably closer to $6-700. Considering the team probably will practice at Harvard and will play in Somerville, you'd have to put them about an hour drive away to get any kind of reasonable apartment at the prices you suggest.

11. pressurecooker

Feb 22, 2009
    Boston
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With all the amenities included within 5 miles of Boston for a 2 bedroom you are looking at around $2000. Unless you are going for a crack house with the windows shot out in Mattapan. :)

12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I rent my 4 bedroom unit in Davis Square to some nice folks for $2500. I guess I just don't offer *all* the amenities. You get better deals with bigger units, but you run up against the weird housing laws (In Somerville, no more than 4 unrelated individuals in a unit). Otherwise, I could house 1/2 the team.

13. pressurecooker

Feb 22, 2009
    Boston
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By all amenities I was referring to WPS's list. $2000 for 2 bedroom in Watertown square is the going rate.

Back to original message. Why would an Australian international come over to be the 12th highest paid player on the team? Maybe a player from Cuba or Puerto Rico but Australia?

14. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While WPS_ was not clear that this was just his/her made up numbers, not an actual league or club's hypothetical budget for planning purposes, it should have been clear to all since no actual free agents had been signed, etc.
    Besides, US Soccer has never and I believe the WPS never did disclosed actual terms of any contracts, and in the case of WPS even the length or options terms of any contract for any player.
    I suspect that will be the case for the new league for at least the non national team players.

But WPS_ 's exercise does give the sense of reality about salaries for the non allocated players.

15. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Which was the whole point of the thread, but apparently some didn't get that.

16. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Australian players are not paid that much money by the Fed, and their Fed pay includes playing in the Australian W-League. The Australian players came over last year to play in the very low paying WPSL-Elite. I am sure they can get the same salaries again this year. Which would give them playing time in a quality league during the Australian off-season.

17. pressurecooker

Feb 22, 2009
    Boston
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If memory serves correctly the reason both Simon & Butt came over last year to play in WPSL-Elite was because the Breakers had already signed them to contracts before WPS officially folded and they had to honor their agreement regardless of the league status. Being signed to WPS contracts I am sure they were making well above the WPSL rate and were making over the free agent maximum set up for NWSL as well. That is why I don't see them coming back unless they are being paid the free agent max.

18. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    I repeat. They play for Aussie Fed, which pays less then USSF or England's FA. They must play in the Aussie W-League each winter. That league is very short. They now need a place to keep training and get games. Unless they find slots in Europe they will probably play in the NWSL. Are they in high enough demand to get to one of the few high paying slots in Europe? I don't believe they are. It is unlikely that the slots they find in Europe will pay what the NWSL is paying.

19. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From another thread:

http://blogs.democratandchronicle.com/Devo/

"The National Women’s Soccer League announced shortly after 5 p.m Friday that its eight clubs are now allowed to sign free agents. Truth is, all over the league deals already have been made and now teams can finally announce them. Finally and thankfully. More on who might be joining the Flash in a bit… I wonder, though, if team presidents and GMs had to utter a collective, “Mother May I,” to NWSL Executive Director Cheryl Bailey before the free-agent announcement lock down was lifted? Sarcasm indeed, but I do have some concerns with how this new league is seemingly trying to control so much. I understand why and there is reason to move slowly and try to keep costs down and even for all clubs. Teams can carry a maximum of 20 players. The Flash have six allocated picks with the headliners being Abby Wambach and Carli Lloyd, of course, and all six of those players will be on the roster because their respective federations are paying their salaries (reportedly $49,500 for U.S. stars)...."

20. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

The top end residency contract, with annual increase, would be over $100k by now, from the published information from the announcement of the 2006 player agreement.

Where did you get your info?

21. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Yeah, $49,500 seems kind of low.
    That's not really even a "moderate" middle class salary these days (it would have been 10 yrs. ago).

I would expect newbies on the national team to earn at least $50,000 - $55,000.
    Mid-level veterans would be up to around $60,000 - $79,999.
    Stars on the team should earn >= $80,000

22. Tokonta

Tokonta Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I'm sure the exact numbers will be posted before long......but if the numbers are what some are reporting I don't blame players for looking elsewhere or internationals not coming here. My hope over the next few years the money gets better, but I guess that is up to the fans!

23. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you reading this the same as me? This number supposably is what the US allocated players will get for playing in the league, not their full WNT salary.

I know that someone will post the link to the story about salaries for the 2006 contract, but I believe that the USSF itself never reported what the previous contract terms were and will not for the new contract.

24. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    The original contract announcement included adjustment in residency salaries if here was a league. I'm sure the players would not have settled for a lower adjustment regardless what teams had to kick in.

Here ya go http://www.soccertimes.com/usteams/2006/women/jan04.htm

Later stories had a 6% increase per annum. That is 40% over the six years.

The USSF nor the players have even announced that there is a new contract. That may be part of the problem.

25. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Cmon U.S. Soccer .... PAY THE LADIES, for crying out loud.
    The U.S. men have failed... post 2002.
    And the women have won three gold medals, one WWC Final appearance, and two WWC third place finishes since 2002.

The U.S. men choked in the Confederations Cup Final against Brazil, after being up 2-0 at halftime, and then it was a complete meltdown. They haven't been able to finish what they started in 2002, with the exception of the upset over Spain in 2009. Other than that, the past ten years have been pure tease and failure to finish.