An Eintracht Braunschweig thread, feat. your host Alex_K [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: Clubs' started by Alex_K, Jun 15, 2011.

1. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Alex, you're getting me really excited about watching Braunschweig this upcoming season. :D

2. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    1860 played Rapid Wein to a 0-0 draw. Leverkusen before we play you guys on the 17th. One of our CBs suffered a jaw fracture so we are going to be VERY weak in central defense. With almost an entirely new back line I don know what to expect.

Do you guys play the ever chic 4-2-3-1? Or a different formation? The teams that have beaten us have used this most successfully.

3. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    FR: well, actually I'm surprisingly excited to watch Eintracht again. You probably can't believe just how jaded I was in 2007, when Eintracht had managed an awesome 4 wins in 16 months streak (yes, 4, in total - official games only of course). While I would have never switched to another club, I took some time because I became excited for a team again, but the current squad is cool in my book.

Eintracht plays 4-1-4-1. One DM, two wingers, two AMs and one central striker.

4. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    That is going to be interesting to watch in the 2.BL. Paderborn tried that last season and got picked apart but they has lazy midfielders who allowed the 4-2-3-1 to slot in behind them.

1860 plays a 4-4-2 double-6 midfield. It has a tendency to leave the middile WIDE open and relies far too much on the flanks. If the opponent knows how to shut down the flanks AND knows how to couter fast through the middle we can be caught off guard. Sometimes we flex back into a 4-2-3-1 or even a diamond 4 in midfield. What I think our biggest problem is that we never stick with a formation which works to the strenghts of the guys we have on the field. For me, the 4-2-3-1 would be optimal...we just don't have the CB and DM strength to play the double-6 midfield.

I will be watching the 1860 match on their streaming service, so I won't be looking at any threads while the game is on. The service steams the game but only AFTER the end of the match, so I have to avoid any news and pop-ups if I want it to be a surprise.;)

5. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Eintracht's biggest strength is the attacking midfield - they could switch to two DMids, but this would be wasting one of their best players - Kruppke, Boland, Zimmermann, and Vrancic are all attacking players and sure starters (last season it was Bellarabi instead of Zimmermann). In the 3. Liga most teams couldn't deal with this. The good defense stopped their attack, and then they got the shit counter attacked out of them by the 5 attacking players.

Won't be that easy in the 2. Bundesliga, but I don't think the team will be ill-prepared for the new division.

6. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Oh I believe it and I sure as hell don't blame you. That is enough to disenfranchise any diehard supporter. Although you still appear jaded in some ways. :D

7. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    I come in two flavors - jaded or extremely jaded :p

8. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Against the lower and mid-table teams I would agree. The better teams saw through it last year and were able to break it down very well. FCA and Hertha were especially effective in pressing fast and closing down the attacking lanes forcing their opponent to regroup. It will be interesting to see if Braunschweig can pull it off.

As an 1860 fan, I can wholely understand this.

9. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Yeah, we'll have to see. Last season in the cup game against Fürth Eintracht played 4-4-2, I think - did prety well despite a last minute over time loss. The team this season will, except for Bellarabi, be almost identical to the team that played the cup game.

10. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    6:2 win against Acosta. I was too lazy to go, despite the game being literally only minutes away... not much insight to be had here, the annual game versus BSC Acosta is more like a folk festival with charity stuff. Unfortunately Vrancic was injured in the game :mad:, hope it ain't serious.

11. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    In the final friendly before the first league game Eintracht beats Osnabrück 3:0. Surprisingly, the formation Eintracht started with will most likely not ne the starting formation for the 1860 game. It's pretty unlikely that Bohl or Reinhardt will start then. Good news is that Vrancic was back. And the Korte brothers did pretty good in pre-season, I think they will become first team fixtures in the near future, faster than some expected originally.

Season ticket count is at 12.500, sale will be stopped now for a while (but continue after the cup game).

12. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Damn!!! That's Great!!!

What is capacity? 20,000??

13. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    The official capacity is 25.000, for soccer games it's capped at 23.000, though. The season ticket total is now at 13.000 (last season it was 11.500), it's possible that the sale won't be restarted then.

14. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Horrible dance. ;)

15. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Quite a start. :cool: Long way to go but would be great to see Eintracht return to the Bundesliga.

16. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Quite nice to win the first game. While I expect a good season from the team anyway (promotion would be a bit premature, though) it can only be good for them to see that they can keep up. After all, most players have little to no experience at this level.

But 1860's goal - come on, jumping into the keeper is now ok? :mad:

Bohl starting surprised me (although it was due to injuries), but he was often tested in defense during pre-season after all.

You get used to it :p

17. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    good start

18. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Congrats!

Braunschweig is my pick for dark horse of the year!

19. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Agreed! Congrats. I suspected your attacking formation was going to pick apart 1860 if Maurer stuck with the 4-4-2 "double-6" formation. I REALLY had hoped he would have used the 4-2-3-1 and played it closer to the chest. I feel like the that guys in Star Wars who Darth Vader chokes with "The Force" when he dis'es him when I say this, but "His sad devotion to the 4-4-2 double-6 formation will be his undoing".;)

20. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Does this include the Pokal as well? :p

21. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    A good pick, my friend, but we always have someone who starts strong then fades. In years past it was Aue, Union, Paderborn and Cottbus. Also 1860. Am hoping Braunschweig can stay consistent and healthy. Love having a second Löwen in the league. :)

22. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    It's all about the long term. This year staying in the league matters, and I don't care if the points are won in the first or second half of the season. All in all, this should be quite possible. If Eintracht stays up 3 seasons in a row, they'll go up sooner or later. The potential has always been bigger than with clubs like Bielefeld, Mainz, Freiburg or Bochum. Keeping up the good work is what it's needed, and then there will be pay off in the not so distant future.

But again, this year staying up is what counts, 4th or 15th, that's not that important.

23. nahkampfbiber

nahkampfbiber Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    :rolleyes:
    One match, and the self-delusion already kicked in?

Braunschweig will find themselves back in third tier, if everyone starts to think this way.

24. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Let's not go crazy. Ingolstadt will win that. :D

Yea, one win means nothing but my gut tells me they'll surprise a few people.

25. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Pfff, I you'll dig deep enough on BS you'll find me saying the same one year ago. The club is now debt free, has a bigger fan base than any of the mentioned clubs, and it's not as if I said promotion now or next year. But if things go according to plan - challenging for promotion in 4-5 years isn't unrealistic (and also the goal of the club, although they are a bit more vague right now).

For this and next year staying up is the top priority.