An Eintracht Braunschweig thread, feat. your host Alex_K [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: Clubs' started by Alex_K, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    So, with Bellarabi back, I am getting all nostalgic. The 2010-11 offense rides again, baby :cool:.

2. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Eintracht now has an English version of their homepage. Which kinda seems like a slightly touched-up version of something translated via google... but well, still wanted to mention it.

Well, more random stuff: just noticed the Eintracht Braunschweig themed feature film 66/67 - Fairplay is over is entirely on youtube (in German, though). It's a rather bleak drama about hooligans and stuff, and don't expect it to look anything like Braunschweig in real life (well, it's actually filmed in Braunschweig, but they a) focussed on the most run-down places they could find, and b) use lightning, angles etc. to make things look as bleak as possible. I can assure you, that things here don't look as Stalingradin-1945-esque). Anyway:

3. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Don't trust him, he's just trying to get new baseball bat fodder for the hooligans. Braunschweig looks exactly like that!

;-) A little bit of banter before the derby never hurts. Only 3 more months.

4. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    The clueless media is annoying as ********. I've totally stopped reading kicker articles etc. online, because the stupid, it burns.

Since this blog post says most what I could post anyway, I'll just link it (it's only in German, sorry):
    http://www.leopedia.de/2013/09/21/tasmania-braunschweig/

96Squig and "Eisenfuß" Eilts repped this.
  5. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just ignore such articles.

Exactly like Fürth last season, your team doesn't play badly (the 2nd half performance of your guys at Borussia-Park really impressed me) but just lacks fortune & experience in decisive moments. And let's not forget that clubs like Braunschweig & Fürth don't have the financial means of other clubs.

6. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  7. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Ultras Braunschweig are widely hated among fans. Back in the day, they turned that elitist, arrogant Ultra thing up to eleven and threw a fit whenever someone dared to challenge their authority on the one true way of support. That was before they turned political, btw. Things lead to fights within the stadium and ultimately, most members of UB got long-time stadium bans /that was in 2008). They reinvented themselves as a political group after that, and since 2012 try to force their way back into the stadium. They still isolate themselves from the fan secne, provoke conflicts whenever they can and really know how to market themselves to the lefty press (taz etc., who basically print everything the group states as fact). It's not as the reporter was with them by accident or anything, they knew damn well what would happen.

Now, there are a lot of Eintracht fans who don't mind using a provocation as justification for some good ole' violence. And there are some right-wing fans still, even if they aren't all that visible within the stadium anymore. However, I somewhat doubt that the people who attack UB are all nazis. UB are about as popular as Hannover fans among the vast majority of hardcore fans (they actually have a friendship with the ultras from Bremen and St. Pauli, which doesn't help to make them more popular). The worst part is that UB's action are as counterproductive as you can get, if there goal is to get out their message (as opposed to being able to feel all high and mighty, I guess).

Despite many clichés and stuff, the probably most neutral article on this in the outside press I know (dating back to last season, so before the latest trouble):
    http://www.ballesterer.at/heft/weitere-artikel/vergessene-eintracht.html

96Squig repped this.
  8. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    The club has now banned UB as a group from entering the stadium. This won't go over well in the media... note to self: check the St. Pauli forum in a few hours. Can't wait to see the comments there :rolleyes:

9. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It is hard to understand from an outside perspective, and it seems like the wrong message is resonating. Even if the situation is as you described, your club should have seen that comming and handled the whole thing differently.

10. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    I am completely behind the decision in itself - was about time. Doing it now... well, timing could have been better, but better than waiting yet another game. The media blitz will be over soon, and then people might be able to actually work on issues like racism again.

That aside - I have no idea how people actually follow that shitfest that is the Bundesliga. Lame fans, soulless stadia, media trying to outstupid itself, ridiculous prices... an no, it's not because of losses or silly stuff like that.

11. Doc_Aeppler

Doc_Aeppler Member

May 27, 2003
    Frankfurt
    Really? I don't recall the Stadiums in Paderborn or Ingolstadt as being particuarly soulful and I think the fans in Sandhausen and Ahlen arent too exciting. I pay 100€ for a Bundesliga-seasonticket. Thats hardly too expencive... I see many reasons why you guys arent enjoying this season too much, but please dont blame the Bundesliga for that! Its actually not all bad! :D

12. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    I don't give a shit about the results. At all. I have seen a 4 wins in 16 months stretch, and in the 2. Bundesliga and Regionalliga mind you. I have seen mid-90s Regionalliga games and losses against Verbandsliga teams in the Lower Saxony Cup. Losses in the Bundesliga don't register there, believe me or not. It's everything else that gets on my nerves. I've decided to stop watching anything Bundesliga related on TV and go to a few Oberliga games instead (FT Braunschweig is kicking ass so far this season - and I take Lüneburg fans over Bremen or Stuttgart). I still want to catch a few Eintracht games in the stadium, but since I don't have a season ticket those can be hard to come by.

13. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    For me the chance for games in the EL alone (and I am sure any Frankfurt fan is going to back me up on this) are making the 1st Bundesliga worthwhile. Also, it is nice to share success with the team, and playing in the 1st BL is arguably a feat in itself.

That said I applaud Braunschweig for building on steady growth, not betting everything (and increasing the budget) to avoid relegation (as you can see in Fürth, that is a sound tactic).

14. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    It's not that I don't want the team to be successful - I am just cutting out TV and the coverage in the nationwide papers. As some people here might now - I stated before that I have stopped watching the Bundesliga completely anyway. I just came to the conclusion that it's not worth it making an exception now :D. If I don't see a game in the stadium, local radio serves me well enough. Maybe I'll subscribe to Eintracht TV... but that's not really a pressing issue.

And the club is in fantastic shape. There has been enormous work been done in a very short amount of time - work "outsiders" don't really see yet. Or can't really grasp - I doubt people who only follow the Bundesliga really know about the realities of operating a club on a Regionalliga budget for two decades. Stuff like the new club owned merchandise stores (one in the city, a larger one near the stadium), rebuild training facilities, a completely new youth academy. a completely new front office building... that's all stuff that will benefit the club for years to come. All of that had already been done or worked on before promotion, but this season alone already allowed the club to speed things up even more.

15. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
  16. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    So, now that WWIII seems to have been delayed (unless I missed some rocket counterstrikes from Hanover or something like that) - two more wins before the winter break would be awesome. With Freiburg/Augsburg/Hertha/1899tm still to come this doesn't look impossible.

17. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    I hope you guys stay in the BL so that we can try this Derby-thing again next year and hopefully do it better. :D

96Squig repped this.
  18. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I second that.

19. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Woohoo, Auswärtssieg! Who owns the bottom of the Tabelle now? ;)

20. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Hanover came in like a wrecking ball... Only a matter of weeks.

21. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Meh, it's not as if this fazes me.

22. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002