Amistoso, 3/5/14: Brasil x África do Sul, em Joanesburgo (em homenagem ao nosso amigo "Tim") [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Mengão86, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Luiz Gustavo has played some LB a while back. That might be a better fit than improvising a RB as a LB (nonetheless a tool like Alves :rolleyes:).

2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That's right. I think that was mentioned during the game as well.

3. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well, it seems journalists are speculating that calling up only Marcelo (when Maxwell was available) was a way for Felipão to test whether he can still go 3 deep at left-back without a pure back-up.

It would mean his left-back depth chart is Marcelo, Luis Gustavo, Dani Alves if he goes with that option. While I see the usefulness (it allows him to take Lucas and Robinho, rather than cut someone on the bubble) I don't like it. If we're ever in a position to use Dani Alves on the left either we're switching formations to compensate or down to Maicon plus no obvious right-back back-up on the other side.

I think the speculation is fair - after all he did experiment with Dani Alves there today - but I don't know that it indicates a strong desire by Felipão not to take a second left-back. We'll see.

4. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Damn I still find it hard to understand why it's so hard for us to have 2 good leftbacks? Remember last WC qualifying we went through 6 before settling with M. Bastos, who played attacking midfield with Lyon at the time!!:thumbsdown:

5. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  6. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    :) Oscar's been a bit off form for us the last few months, but glad to hear he's doing well for Brazil. He and Luiz may play better for Brazil than for Chelsea - which is the opposite of Ramires. Willian remains to be seen, of course.

7. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Parece que o Neymar tirou o salto que usou durante o jogo e mostrou humildade e classe né, @celito ? :p

Bela atitude!

8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Sandalias da humildade ! Yeah pretty nice gesture from him and the whole team.

I think he is feeling a little constrained at Barca and was looking to play with a bit more freedom and ended up over doing it on some plays. It's all right with me but he has to pick the right time and also be able to execute them better or else he can start to look foolish.

9. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    @Tim_Vickery: Reflections on Brazil after the 5-0 win over South Africa - from sambafoot
    http://t.co/dkgDiKACMX

A good article from everyone's favorite Englishmen.

10. Jiripoca

Jiripoca Member

Jul 16, 2013
    London - Sao Paulo - Peruibe
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Good grief the idiot is talking some sense. Wonders never cease!