American Outlaws Portland

Discussion in 'The American Outlaws' started by Since 82, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Since 82

Since 82 New Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
  2. vabil

vabil Member

Sep 5, 2002
    How would you guys feel about hosting all future mexico versus USA games? I am on the east coast but I would be willing to sacrifice attending the games for a pro US crowd in the US. I have seen the fans sing the national athem (during Timber games) and would love to see that at a US v mex game.

3. Since 82

Since 82 New Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    I would imagine that Columbus, Ohio might have something to say about that. They have been a tremendous host for a number of Mexico-USA matches.

One of the main reasons we started AOPDX is to get national team matches here. I think the atmosphere would be great.

4. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't the Portland pitch small though?

5. vabil

vabil Member

Sep 5, 2002
    I was at the last Columbus qualifier against lil mex. They (lil mex fans) nearly outnumbered US fans. I think it was close. I was sitting in a clearly 50/50 section. I'm not positive that it gave the US any kind of advantage although it did eliminate their ridiculous usual edge. I just don't feel that the Columbus fans did anything to swing the advantage to the US (as they should have). From what I've seen of Portland they might have the answer. If there is passionate US fans in Portland then I think we should give them a chance. As far as the field goes, you suit it to however the home team plays.

6. Since 82

Since 82 New Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Jeld-Wen Field is 70 yards wide and 110 yards long and is FIFA certified. It is also artificial turf. Interestingly, Stoke City of the EPL has the exact same dimensions.

7. Since 82

Since 82 New Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    I believe we would represent well and there is a strong want to make this happen. If anyone can help direct me as to how to best facilitate this effort it would be most appreciated.

8. Pinowski AP

Pinowski AP Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are the dynamics between AO and the Timbers Army? I've been a casual observer...I've noticed a fair bit of hostility between the two and I've failed to understand why. There are plenty of AO chapters in other MLS markets with robust supporters groups.

9. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh it's artificial turf? Yeah, you'll never get a qualifier. The Fed will never play a qualifier on fake grass. Never. In the last three World Cup qualification cycles we've played on artificial turf once, in 2005 against Guatemala in Alabama I believe. Don't mean to burst your bubble but...

Foxborough got tons of qualifiers but they won't going forward because of Bob Kraft's field turf. Most SSS are grass anyway.

10. Since 82

Since 82 New Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Yes, I am aware of the turf issue. I believe that some stadiums cart in grass however and I think that would work here too. I believe they have done that in Giants Stadium prior (I'm originally from NJ).

11. Since 82

Since 82 New Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Loaded question. The AO chapter we are in process of forming has only been in "existence" since right prior to the Gold Cup.

There has been some animus to our proceedings from a vocal minority of Timbers Army/107ist members. The "founders" of AOPDX are also TA/107ist members.

I think there are several reasons for the situation:
    1) Portland is a different city than most cities.
    2) Club, in most peoples' eyes, is greater than country here.
    3) Some people have questioned the need for an AO chapter.
    4) Some people don't like how we went about "starting" the AO chapter (I would counter that resistance would be found no matter how the chapter were started).
    5) Some people don't like the host bar we have selected.
    6) Some people think the sky is blue.

I think that tells the "story".

12. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Portland did a great job for the Costa Rica game in '97. IIRC, they carted in grass for that one.

13. Since 82

Since 82 New Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Quite a few people have mentioned that to me here locally. Pretty much everyone wants to see it happen again and soon.

14. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll take COUNTRY over CLUB any day of the week.

Seriously, everyone is like OMG TIMBERS ARMY OMG, support the USMNT, we could have used your support against Mexico at the Rose Bowl, seriously.

15. Since 82

Since 82 New Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    There are a lot of TA members who support the USMNT. My "statement" was more of an informal guess than a scientific poll.

The TA is a one of a kind, incredible experience. I have played, followed, watched many sports and nothing compares IMO.

16. Pinowski AP

Pinowski AP Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it would be worth looking at the relationship between AODC and Screaming Eagles. The two groups work together, but considering that SE is a veteran supporters group, they do much of the heavy lifting (organizing travel, tailgates, etc) From my visit to RFK last month, I gathered that the cooperation between the two groups was almost seamless.

I'd imagine that a successful model in Portland would mirror this arrangement. The Timbers Army would lend its expertise and energy to the group, and "AOPDX" would more or less be an extension of the TA.

17. Since 82

Since 82 New Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Good idea in theory but challenging in application. Portland is a different beast than DC.

The Timbers Army is focused on the Timbers (as it should be). First year in MLS, growing in size and numbers, and so forth. IMO, it is the greatest supporters group in professional sports in our country.

American Outlaws Portland is a fledgling effort that is going to take some time to figure out. It will become what it will become in due time.

18. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC had a reputation of being very club over country but I think they've turned that around in the last five years. Now when people think of club over country people think Seattle and Portland. It will change, just give it time.

19. Since 82

Since 82 New Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    American Outlaws Portland is now official as the 66th chapter of AO.