American Idol (Season 11) [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Goodsport, Jan 3, 2012.

1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    You're right. He probably wishes he was part of The Voice.

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't doubt it considering how well that show is doing, though I wonder if he'd feel out of place as the show's only non-singer judge. :confused:

-G

3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The Voice and X-Factor have similar formats. I doubt it would make any difference that he's not a performer. Also, both shows have other performers assist with the act.

FWIW, I still haven't gotten used to the idea of Cee-Lo primarily as a singer. I always thought of him as a rapper who occasionally sings, but not really sings, but it kinda sorta sounds like singing. As another aside, when did Cee-Lo become a performer? I saw him during the Goodie MOB days and again during the Gnarls Barkley period and he sucked on stage. The past couple of years has me wondering who I saw performing years before.

4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was Cee-Lo's stage performance comparable to yesterday's performance by Heejun Han (the latter's of which judge Steven Tyler didn't seem very amused by)? :confused:

-G

5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    First, the judges are horrible. Second, Heejun actually performed. Third, did the producers really expect an asian pop boom to make up for ratings declines?

Cee-Lo basically just stood on stage and did his songs. There was no performance.

6. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've quite liked Heejun's vocals and performances. He's got an endearing sincerity and soulfulness wrapped up in a huge geek package. It's not a long walk to cloying, saccharine and gimmicky, but he'd been keeping it in check. And it complements his soft vocals. Very evocative, if not a giant range or big punch.

What he did last night was awful.

It doesn't help that I've grown to despise Billy Joel over the years. But 2012 American Idol Winner Jessica Sanchez and flock of indie dude both had decent performances with the material.

EDIT: For the record, Joshua Ledet is my personal favorite. I don't think he'll win for a variety of reasons, but he's really fantastic. Needs to work on vocal control and pacing and some straight balladeering -- but he is a natural phenom.

7. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the problem with AI is that "nuance" is a dirty word. Jessica Sanchez is probably the person with the best vocal chops to hit the Idol stage, but she is too young to have any idea what a nuanced performance is. maybe a producer like Howard Benson could get the kid to rein it in a bit, but i'm not optimistic. the judges impel the contestants to make the event equivalent to an Al Pacino acting performance: the more "over the top", the better.

8. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was sometime during either the sixth or seventh season when I was bemoaning the shrinking amount of the show's contestants born in the 1970's as the early-mid 1980's-born young'ins were becoming the norm.

It's even more disheartening to now see this season's early-mid 1980's born contestants as the "old folk" and the late-1980's to mid-1990's born contestants as the norm. :eek:

Damn, I'm old! :(

-G

9. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found it a little weird that the guy who sang Dude Looks Like a Lady was chastising a contestant on American Idol who just sang a Billy Joel song for not taking it all seriously enough.

10. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I didn't like Sanchez at all during auditions because of this. It was a big voice with no emotion. It was almost sterile. She has improved. I'm just hoping this is the last television singing competition I see her on.

11. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a big fan. I just think she's going to win.

And Yes, she oversings quite a bit, and pantomimes emotion quite a bit without any real connection. I was actually pretty creeped out when I heard her mention earlier "all the money and time my mom has spent on singing and performance lessons." It seemed like their whole family was focused on making her a star. Ick.

But I was wrong about the Pia-Tron 3000 last year, so I'll probably be wrong again.

12. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched The Voice last season, and I think everybody could take a lesson from Dia Frampton. She had a ton of experience coming into the competition and she didn't win,but her performances were very layered.

13. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy frijoles. Elise singing Led Zep tonight. Whole Lotta Love.

WOW!!! :eek:

14. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    watching the show last night and my wife was in the other room when D'Andre came on. She asked if something was wrong with the TV, I said no, its a guy on AI. She said are they showing out takes from people that were terrible...I said no, he is a finalist.....she just chuckled and mumbled he sucked. I have to agree. I can't understand how he is still here. Then again, Heejun is still here after last weeks bomb and one of the best voices this year get voted out instead. That girl from RI must have been pissed to lose out to Heyjude or Heejun

15. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something about here singing that she wants to give me every inch of her love.......just seemed wrong.....Although I'd give her all two inches of my love!
    Strange how they showed Johnny Lang in the audience and did not mention him after PP sand a song by him but they give a shout to Dione Warwick.

16. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumor has it they told Colton to tone down the Christian stuff as they don't want him going Tebow.

17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I liked his performance and thought it was one of his better performances and one of the best last night. I wish he would go into a lower register more, but when I listened to his performance it sounded more of like I have been wanting to hear from him. I also immediately thought it was another performance and song that doesn't necessarily translate well to broad appeal on a show like American Idol though. He has had some unfortunate song choices and arrangements in the past. I still don't think they are using his voice to his full potential. He needs to use more range instead of staying in his falsetto.

Likewise, I don't like the backlash Heejun takes on the show when they're setting him up for much of it, but I thought that was one of his better performances.

18. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that was great

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usn3o3kle44"]Elise Testone: Whole Lotta Love - Top 9 - AMERICAN IDOL SEASON 11 - YouTube[/ame]

19. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heejun has a great voice. His peculiar accent bothers me some ( and he didn't sing "secrets" as Jimmy I suggested ) but he's ten steps up from Deandre Hackysack. I'm an enormous fan of Smokey Robinson, so falsetto doesn't creep me out, but Deandre is gruesome. I'm fine if he gets a record contract and makes bank, but I hope that he's gone real soon.

Philip Phillips' version of Still Rainin' only gets a 7/10 from me.

Dig this

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn560Wesh-4"]Jonny Lang - Still Rainin' - YouTube[/ame]

the problem with PP's version is that he did some very forced ad-libs that added nothing to the performance. his voice, phrasing, tone, etc. are OK, but he's not a polished bluesman...yet. plus he can't play the leads.

Jessica Sanchez won me over with her vocal. much more controlled and layered.

I was very disappointed by Hollie Cavanagh's JTTW. What did it for me is that her connection to the song has more to do with the fact that Carrie Underwood sings it than the song itself. What's that about?

And Joshua Ledet is technically amazing, but I didn't believe his vocal. If you have never heard Harry Nilsson's version, please push play.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvxT7rRA2fI&feature=related"]Harry Nilsson Without you (With Lyrics) - YouTube[/ame]

20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And then there were three:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Joshua Ledet and Jessica Sanchez have certainly been the best two contestants throughout this season, so it's no surprise that they're in the Top Three. However, although Phillip Phillips was certainly better than Holly Cavanaugh last night and throughout the season for the most part, was either Phillip or Holly really better than Skylar Laine for that number three spot? :confused:

Also, among the past footage of the remaining contestants shown in the last two episodes was of the foursome from much earlier this season (and this thread) led by Richie the Obnoxious Cowboy. Though I remembered that Heejun Han was the most vocal critic of Richie from the foursome, I'd forgotten that Phillip Phillips was also in that group. :eek: I suppose that he's getting the last laugh now.

-G

21. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I ********ing hate this show.

22. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and you with a one channel TV.

the agony!

23. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This season's Final Two are:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm a bit surprised that Phillip Phillips is in the finale rather than Joshua Ledet, although Phillip's third/final performance last night was admittedly the best one of the whole night by any of the three contestants. That's likely what carried last night's voting.

So the final performance show is next Tuesday rather than Wednesday, while the season finale is next Wednesday rather than Thursday. If you're recording either/both episodes, don't forget to add some time near the end of each, particularly for Wednesday's season finale (past season finales have tended to run a bit past their allotted time, after all). ;)

-G

24. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ledet has far narrower appeal than Phillips. He's an urban contemporary gospel singer riffing music from 40 years ago, with an occasional modern tune, like "You Raise Me Up" or "Runaway Baby" ( which is on an album called "Doo-Wops and Hooligans", FWIW ). He's crazy good at what he does, but he's not really a pop artist.

25. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. After all, the British show that American Idol is based on was called Pop Idol. ;)

I'm still not sure that Phillip Phillips belongs in the Final Two this season, or even belonged in the Final Three for that matter, but it's okay I suppose. Very few seasons actually had the best three contestants reaching the Final Three and the best two contestants reaching the Final Two; Season 4 remains the gold standard in regards to the best three contestants reaching the Final Three, the best two contestants reaching the Final Two, and right contestant winning it all. :)

-G