News: Ambassador to Libya assassinated; 4 total dead

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Macsen, Sep 12, 2012.

1. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought this place was a consulate??(as consulates are located outside capital cities)

2. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's unfair and you are an asshole for posting it.

I thought you lefties hold yourself to a higher standard than the "moran" guy but I guess not.

luftmensch repped this.
  3. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh boo-hoo, moran.

chaski, AfrcnHrbMan and DynamoEAR repped this.
  4. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Huh?

5. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Here are some signs from a demonstration in Libya repudiating the attack on the US embassy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm pretty sure he meant "prophet" rather than "profit", but anyway I hope the statement is appreciated and reminds Americans that most Muslims are not like the a-holes who attack foreign embassies and murder people.

6. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Calling out the President regarding a war he chose to start seems just a smidge different than the topic of this thread.

7. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Dear Mittens,

How many embassies were bombed under Bush...and Clinton for that matter?

Regards,
    Tact

8. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    The topic of this thread is the Libya and Egypt attacks. You then brought Romney into it by claiming that he was "politicizing the deaths of Americans abroad." So I responded to your post by showing a video of a previous candidate doing exactly the same.

9. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is that even remotely similar? It's fair to criticize a president for a war in which you don't believe. That's a policy issue. It's not, however, sporting to criticize a president for condemning religious intolerance in the aftermath of a violent tragedy.

10. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Romney was brought up because he's being a freakin' dick, and anyone with a solid head on their shoulders can see that. The difference here is that Bush started the war himself, thus its fair game to criticize him for his actions. Obama didn't initiate the violence the other day.

This isn't a partisan thing with liberals mocking Romney because he's a republican. This is rational thing with level-headed people saying Romney shouldn't politicize a raw tragedy that has literally nothing to do with Obama.

11. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    It's possible to criticize a war without bringing up specific deaths of individuals while running a campaign. In fact, the candidate's point probably would have been just as strong without their mention. Mentioning them in that context seems like an attempt to use the emotions of sentimental Americans for political gain. The point is that this is nothing new. Just more political "faux outrage" on both sides.

12. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a lame rhetorical trick. You're redefining the outrage to make it about the mention of dead Americans for political gain. So now any time any politician talks about dead Americans to make a point in the course of a campaign, it's all the same thing.

You might have a had a point, if:
    -Romney had waited a remotely appropriate & respectful amount of time after the tragedy before commenting
    -Romney had waited until the immediate situation on the ground were over before commenting
    -Romney had waited until all the information was available before commenting
    -Romney had actually criticized a specific aspect of the President's foreign policy
    -Romney had used the occasion to illuminate how his own ideas about foreign policy differ from the President's, and what, indeed his own foreign policies would be if he were elected

Since Romney did 0 of the 5 basic things required in order for a politician to speak critically about the deaths of Americans abroad, he is now being attacked for his clumsy, inappropriate, ill-timed, un-American remarks.

So, no. There's no equivalency, and just because your outrage at Obama is fake doesn't mean other people's outrage is fake in this instance.

13. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nope. I'm pretty sure the outrage is still just as fake as it's always been. Essentially, the progressive order of thought goes like this. 1) dislike the candidate, 2) look for actions of the candidate to be "outraged" over, 3) devise criteria to make said outrage appear more valid.

I do appreciate your sincere attempt at trying to convince us your criticism is not politically-motivated in any way, but rather simply measured objectivity. Unfortunately you can't seem to see that you're engaging in the same political gymnastics that have been played since Washington was in office. Your criticism is little more than a political cliche.

14. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So.... you're not aware that the criticism of Romney is largely bipartisan.

15. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. I don't associate with either party, I rarely post in this forum, and I can see plain as day that this ploy by Romney was in bad taste.

This isn't a partison issue. This is a "have some class" issue.

GiuseppeSignori repped this.
  16. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP to include those of us who don't play this stupid game anymore.

17. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    No one disagrees that the Romney statement was political opportunism. What's amusing though is everyone's "shock" and "outrage" that a candidate would do so. As if this is somehow new.

18. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    crazypete13, Dyvel and Demosthenes repped this.
  19. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The day of the attack? Yes, it is.

20. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    So, a candidate for high office can condemn the actions of the transgressors, but he can't criticize the foreign policy which he believes led to those actions. Makes sense. It's classic politics.

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but

1. It's arguably a funny and clever take on the Dos Equis ads and
    2. It ain't nearly as unfair as Romney's statement. When you go THAT far over the line, you're asking for it.

22. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Arguably, but I think the "I don't always..." meme is nearly as tired as "Priceless", even if we forget for a moment that the Dos Equis campaign is a slick repackaging of Chuck Norris facts, which itself is a derivative of the Bill Brasky sketches from SNL.

Dyvel repped this.
  23. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    That's not what Romney did, though. Romney criticized Obama for something he didn't do.

Anyway, it's irrelevant whether it's right or wrong (I generally think lying is wrong, but your moral barometer may be calibrated differently), but as far as realpolitiks go, it was clearly reckless and miscalculated. But hey, some people like to see that from a president.

24. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is shocked and outraged by the way?

25. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club: