News: Ambassador to Libya assassinated; 4 total dead

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Macsen, Sep 12, 2012.

1. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    because it was 600 BC!

2. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't comment if you didn't read the piece please.

3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    No, no, no! It was more like 1400 BC.

The tire tracks were from 600 AD -- 2000 years later when powerboats and Michelin tires were common in the Middle East.

4. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Is it possible that the Yute -the prophet Mohammed- was the victim of mistaken identity? Two different prophets went into the same desert in identical metallic green chariots with the same set of tires...

5. Quayle

Quayle Member

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Don't you worry, about Obama. He's taking care of bidness....right after a round of golf, a fundraiser in Vegas, a tough interview with Men's Health, and an appearance on Letterman.

6. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if their chariot was truly a 63 Pontiac Tempest, I doubt either prophet ever made it out of the desert - at least not in their chariot.

7. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    American Brummie repped this.
  8. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    haters gonna hate.

9. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jokes are so much funnier when they're based in reality. Making fun of something that doesn't exist isn't humorous. It's just pointless.

The idea that Obama doesn't take care of business when it comes to foreign affairs is a fantasy.

I really feel you can do better than this.

10. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that terrorist coddling Obama.

Jesus. Like I said in a different thread, if Mitt really wants to go toe-to-toe with the President on foreign policy, line 'em up.

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember when he killed Osama bin Laden while yucking it up at the White House Correspondents' Dinner. That was awesome.

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ???

Look at his moniker. THAT'S what inspires him.

13. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have rarely seen such consensus across the board to condemn Romney's totally idiotic and disgraceful reactions on this drama.
    When even Peggy Noonan and Mark Halperin are criticizing you .....you are in trouble, Mitt.

"I don't think Mr. Romney has been doing himself any favors in the last hours" -
    @peggynoonannyc

Unless Mitt has gamed crisis out in some manner completely invisible to Gang of 500,doubling down=most craven+ill-advised move of '12
    M

NER_MCFC and GiuseppeSignori repped this.
  14. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it's the teacher in me. I reject the soft bigotry of low expectations.

NER_MCFC and taosjohn repped this.
  15. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should have known...after Limbaugh and Colbert :D revealed that black people control the weather ...controlling time was no surprising power...

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-co...ess-of-charlotte---avoiding-water-gate--day-1

BTW it is hard not to feel awful for Stevens and the other casualties, as diplomat and for those who also worked hard to try to bridge differences and aim for more understanding through more peaceful ways....It really sucks....

I was going to post this earlier today about an interesting look at presidential decision-making from a first-hand witness who spent 8 months at the WH re: Lybia in particular..and damn it : If Stevens had anything to do with this decision on Lybia..and from his background he may very well have played a huge role....he very likely played part in the policy that saved so many Lybian lives...to be paid back like this is just depressing....RIP Chris Stevens

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/ns/msnbc_tv-rachel_maddow_show/#48996498

Article on Stevens
    http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS...hip-revolution/story?id=17218702#.UFDzPFGf98E

Ismitje repped this.
  16. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your candidate is having a really, really bad day so I don't blame you for trying to make yourself feel better by spewing idiocy.

17. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But the Tempest had positraction and was available in metallic mint green

18. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    given his plethora of gaffes when he went over to London for a friendly visit during the Olympics, Mitt is in no position to criticize anyone (not even Sarah Palin) on foreign relations/affairs.
    now Clinton, he knew foreign relations/affairs. Sarah wasn't telling him to grow a bigger stick.
    neither was Monica.

19. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    um....

20. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pathetic is an adjective.
    name calling would have to be a noun.

21. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    He noticed that many times along the path of
    his life there was only one set of tire tracks.

[​IMG]

He also noticed that it happened at the very
    lowest and saddest times in his life.

Barbara repped this.
  22. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    If mitt gets elected, perhaps we can just change the spelling a little bit and President Romney won't notice.

Once we officially tell the President of the problems inside Labia, he will take charge, get in there and take control of everything. The Labian people will have no say in what happens to their political body, but we will get the outcome WE want.

raza_rebel and song219 repped this.
  23. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This could go in the Rape Thread or the GOP Failure Thread but it's probably most appropriate here. I just love those AZ GOPers. They're almost as funny as Illinois Nazis.

Sen. John Kyl (R):

"It's like the judge telling the woman who got raped, 'You asked for it because of the way you dressed.' OK? That's the same thing. 'Well America, you should be the ones to apologize, you should have known this would happen, you should have done — what I don't know — but it's your fault that it happened.' You know, for a member of our State Department to put out a statement like that, it had to be cleared by somebody. They don't just do that in the spur of the moment."
    http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/jon-kyl-embassy-statement-was-like-telling-raped

24. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (from link posted earlier)
    "I learned more from him in three months than I have in my adult life," tweeted Hannah Draper, who is in the U.S. on leave from the embassy. "He loved Libya and Libyan people. He died doing what he believed in."
    In an August blog post, Draper said the ambassador was "legendary" in Libya because he stayed in the country through the revolution, "liaising with the rebels and leading a skeleton crew of Americans on the ground to support humanitarian efforts and meeting up-and-coming political leaders."
    "Several Libyans have told me how much it means to them that he stayed here throughout the revolution, losing friends and suffering privations alongside ordinary Libyans," Draper wrote on her blog. "We could not ask for a better ambassador to represent America during this crucial period in Libyan history."

Ismitje repped this.