Altidore: Sunderland @ Man City

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by The Foo Fighter, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I shall forever refer to Jozy as Dozy now because that is the cleverest of demeaning nicknames drummed up by the English press. :p

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  2. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus. What was the score guys? Lmao.

3. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2-2

Connor 'Van Basten' Wickham with a brace. City played awful per usual when it comes to facing Sunderland.

Deeneaus repped this.
  4. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

I am glad to not be the only one noticing this phenomenon. It's uncanny.

5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Connor may have etched himself in history. If they could have gotten 3 they really had a chance to stay up.

I don't think 1 is going to be enough.

But Wikileaks really hit it today.

6. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    History? I think you're putting to much on it. i think yeah he lept over Altidore in the pecking order if he wasn't already ahead but honestly, they lost, they'll get relegated, and nobody will think back to the regular season game they tied City. Especially when didn't they beat them already this season. But i think for Sunderland, history is made beating Newcastle and their cup final run. Had the keeper held onto the ball and had they kept from getting relegated sort of like Dempsey's goal kept Fulham up well then i think wickham would etch his name in history. But unless they stay up i think he's just another guy that scored twice. Either way neither are good for altidore.

7. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Just saw Connor Wickham's second goal on replay.

Wow. 83' goal, 60 yds, outruns ManCity defense and has the poise to finish with a slammer.

P.s. That guy is in some kind of shape. Jozy's status at this point is basically on the bench in the Championship, unless a prem team steps up and buys Wickham

8. JozyBradley

JozyBradley Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Well, Wickham may eventually get a move to another EPL team and won't have to accept 40% wage cut in the championship next year....So I'm sure the scouts who have probably already started scouting Sunderland to raid them of their few decent players will take into account Wickham performance against a good Man C team.

As for Jozy, I've thought he was done a while back...Even before Wickham scored today, I thought he looked a bit more polished as a footballer and his first touch looked more consistent then Jozy.....

Now, it's obvious Jozy won't see much playing time and I wonder whether this might affect his USMNT starting spot...Can the national team really afford to start a striker who will lack match fitness?

9. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    off of two goals i one game? Maybe. I wouldn't buy wickham off of scoring just two goals. Look at what strikers got bought off teams going down last year. Loic Remy. I mean he's quality and netted all season. I'm not sayng it's impossible, i thought it was a great finish, but i'd be surprised if off one decent half of football another Prem team all of a sudden wants to buy him.

Honestly, i think the U.S. gifts guys starting spots on reputation for far too long. I've thought Altidore should be coming off the bench for a while. But then again for me strikers that don't score much wouldn't play much at all. Fitness? I don't think the national team can afford to start strikers that don't score regularly.

10. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    You must be informing Sunderland on their transfers, if you think a guy having one good game (and ignoring all the terrible ones, and ignoring the fact that he received impeccable service from Giaccherini) is enough to get him purchased. Good lord.

afgrijselijkheid repped this.
  11. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

1- Yes, but that is not actually to boast about. You have been saying it all season long. A lot.

2 - If that is the case, then how do you explain Wickham having 19 total turnovers in these last four games (4.75 average) when Altidore averages 2.7 total TO's per game?

y-lee-coyote repped this.
  12. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    shoot, i'd say one good half.

To me it, makes as much sense as those that think some other EPL team will come in for Jozy. Not based on the performance this season. Wickham isn't much different to me.

afgrijselijkheid repped this.
  13. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The "EPL teams" that might come in for Wickham/Jozy are the promoted teams.

Leicester's best striker is David Nugent, and Kevin Phillips (40 years old) has made 10 league appearances this calendar year. Their second-leading scorer was playing Conference football two years ago at 25 years old.

Burnley's leading scorers have a combined 40 goals this season...the year before, they scored 7 goals in 88 league apperances.

I'm in no way saying that these clubs will come in for them, just pointing out the relative lack of forward quality among the likely-promoted sides.

14. ghost101

ghost101 Member

Jul 5, 2009
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Good first touch =! low turnovers.

I suspect very few strikers in the Premier League average less than 3 turnovers a game.

Also 4 games does not a sample make.

15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I was, for sure, being hyperbolic. But if they had won this one and stayed up, he, as the S'land kid, would get a few choruses written.

Bar another shock point or two I can't see it being enough, but they are going to miss out by "just that much."

16. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    i got you. sometimes when someone is being knowingly hyperbolic it doesn't come through well over the internet where i kinda read every thing assuming everyone is being totally serious. i just missed it.

i get what you're saying and sure they might. I just wonder who would have thought that at half time. And i think any scout worth a damn is gonna need more than that. Like if he doesn't score again this season (and honestly even if he does) i'm not sure there will be teams jumping for him. But we'll see.

ArsenalMetro and freisland repped this.
  17. ghost101

ghost101 Member

Jul 5, 2009
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  18. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

No, it is not a straight corollary result, but it is a sizable factor. And I know four games is not a great sample, but it is what we have and I was just hoping to hear the explanation more than anything. :)

19. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

To be completely fair, Altidore does not quite play the average amount of minutes those guys do (or get as many touches). So you would have to adjust his up to cancel the playing time difference. Just guessing, maybe about 20%? That would give him more like 3.3 per game.

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Right now Jozy's brand in England is basically worthless. Unless something happens, I don't see any club in the EPL trying to get him. The S'land fans aren't helping, pushing him to the top in any voting about "worst player in the league" poll.

Right now, with Wickham scoring, some are basically blaming Jozy for relegation, wondering why other strikers were not given more chances. Their running poll demands that he never gets another chance, not even in the Championship:

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/thread...d-to-pull-on-a-sunderland-shirt-again.896065/

21. ghost101

ghost101 Member

Jul 5, 2009
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Apparently Altidore has the best touch in the game if its a corollary.

I think you meant correlative, but it isn't really.

edit:

slightly misread your post, so I take back the sarcasm

22. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Phillips has played about 120 minutes total across 8 games. Exactly what he was signed for - Experienced forward to bring on to nick a equaliser/winner or help to defend a lead.

Jamie Vardy has been excellent all season,

I doubt we will be paying a large transfer fee for anyone over the summer plus Pearson has said that the players will get a chance to prove themselves in the league. Apart from a few additions the squad has been together for a couple of years.

Also Nugent and Vardy suit how we play.

23. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

Yeah, I know it is not. And if it was, that would not be the corollary anyway. As I said, I really just wanted his explanation solely for amusement.

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Jozy needs a team that can feed him balls to his feet. In the EPL, the teams that could do it are just too wealthy to go for him. So any team that might actually go for him is another one in the Sunderland mold: a bad fit. I hope he leaves for a different league. Serie A or Ligue 1 come to mind.

superdave repped this.
  25. JozyBradley

JozyBradley Member

Sep 1, 2013
    #100 JozyBradley, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    Wickham is a young 21 year old and he's also British which will work in his favor...I think EPL teams have to field a few British player on their squad..Also, teams simply wants to have a few british player in there just to feel good about themselves.

I think one of the 3 promoted championship team may pick him up...Also, teams like Norwich, Crystal Palace or a Fulham(if they escape the drop) could take a chance on him...That is very possible since their other options is not much to wave about.

Now, Wickham may never score again, but I've always thought that Jozy 1 goal in 28 appearance was unacceptable even on a bad team, and many believed that if Wickham had gotten similar chances, he'd be around 5-6 goals by now which I believe is the reasonable number of goals that "should" be expected from a Sunderland striker.

You could make a strong case that if Jozy was sitting on 4/5 instead of 1, Sunderland would probably had an extra 4/5 point and would be in a much stronger position to beat the drop.

As for Jozy spot on the USMNT, I just hope Klinsmann doesn't gift him anything...He should at the least be given the friendly matches before the World Cup...If Jozy doesn't impress, he should be dropped...I was very disappointed in his last US match and was shocked how easy going he was, specially coming off the embarrassment of not making the Sunderland cup final squad...I thought he would be looking to make a statement and really increase his work-rate.....Right now, he simply can not afford to be playing as if he has the striker spot lock.