Altidore not on Jurgen's mind + Special Interview about 2013 and beyond

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by AutoPenalti, Nov 2, 2012.

1. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen this once, vs. Guatemala and 1 half vs. Jamaica in Columbus. Everything else looks same old, same old or slightly worse. You see... IMO it might be good enough, qualify etc. But my question is.. and what many should have known before he signed on is that the promises he made cannot be met. The current player pool can only do so much. Now that leads to a totally different discussion. Use current pool and try and develop a diff style? Or is that wasting time, and not playing to the strengths of the player pool? A whole other topic. And I think with that point, some argue that an American coach or even a foreign coach with a lower salary could do just as well. People are irked that he is somehow "changing" things when in reality it looks mostly the same or the said goals of a fluid team are nothing more than fluff. Especially considering the last manager had the team scoring more and Klinsmann has shown he's favorable to many many dmids. It contradicts his statements. At the end of the day winning and qualifying matters the most, and he may be able to do that, but isn't that the minimum? Weren't we expecting more? Some like I stated above think the whole "revolution" of US soccer thing is bullshit and that it starts at the youth level.

As far as friendlies go, the US always get's up for big friendlies, win, lose or draw. I will give Klinsmann credit for Mexico. Tough place, first win EVER and he outcoached Chepo that night. But it is important to keep perspective after friendly wins. With the exception of Mexico they should be used for experimentation.

I hope Jozy and Klinsmann settle their little dispute.

2. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't matter if he is half German, Brazilian, Mexican or Spanish, and I never said what Timmy did was right I just think he'll be back eventually with the USMNT, both Timmy and Jozy need to grow up and they will. You have also called out Klinsmann with childish name calling so I also wouldn't be talking if I were you.

3. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'd argue the scotland and brazil games were the same way. But i do understand where you are coming from. We have been playing fairly defensive, and who knows if he's really doing anything a guy with a 3rd of the salary could accomplished with this team. And actually i disagree about the mexico game, frankly i thought we looked like garbage and got very lucky to escape with a win. Klinsmann defensively did well with his subs but in general i thought we were thoroughly outplayed.

That being said, i would argue that it isn't the same old that we've been seeing. I wasn't on these message boards when bradley was around (and in general im not super knowledgeable in the sport), but i always felt like our team was restricted under bradley (with obvious exceptions). I always felt like we were very hard working and very physical, but i never felt like we ever tried to dictate the game. As in we seemed to wait to see what the other team was doing, try to force a mistake and take advantage of the opportunity.

With klinsmann it feels like we are genuinely trying to dictate the tempo of the game. Sometimes it doesn't work out well, and we've looked pretty sloppy in this qualifying campaign, but i never felt it was due to a lack of trying. I think in general our team isn't optimized to play the style, but i don't see anything wrong with at least starting to transition to that style of play throughout our youth leagues up to the senior team.

Now do i buy the whole "youth revolution" under klinsmann?? not really. I think it make our nationals team play a consistent style. Which i guess is fine, but beyond that i don't see much. If anything klinsmann is a figurehead in that respect as us soccer seems to use him to show that they are serious about improving youth soccer in this country. But that's about the extent of his use in that respect. (in my opinion)

4. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely agree with this.

He is a figurehead comes from a high pedigree. We will see what impact it makes...thats it.

It will be a bumpy ride and Im ok with that because I dont make the decisions.

I can criticize I guess but what to impress people i dont know? It will be interesting to see how the hex plays out.

vaquero28 repped this.
  5. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Im not so sure he could do better plus why would Alex Morgan want him neway?

Jozy has had many, many chances and produced very little. So many people think hes an automatic starter and under Bradley, he was. Klinsy continued this until his lack of production forced him to look in other directions. Maybe the bottom line is... he's just not all that.... at this point. Herc has clearly beat him out and now the ball is in his court. It may take a while before he gets more looks but nobody can say he didnt get enough... he just didn't produce enough to keep getting called

vaquero28 repped this.
  6. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why can't we have both. Klinsmann will come and go but, Jozy is in our 10 year plan. His ego should not get in the way of the larger goals of the program.

7. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    Is an intend to do Alex Morgan is a prerequisite for playing on NT now? Or it's only for those who don't suck up to Jurgen?

Mario Balotelli repped this.
  8. jimmy2823

jimmy2823 Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i just don't think that jozy has the qualities to play international football at a high level. just strength and height is not enough.

9. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GVPATS77 is not going to be very happy with you, here come 50 posts explaining why he is the next Ronaldo.

CTS26 and soccersubjectively repped this.
  10. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    see, the thing is i get that people aren't all that sad that altidore isn't currently on the roster, but these type of posts i find interesting. Altidore may not have proven to be a goalscoring machine, but he's been a good player for us at the international level. And the guy is like 21, 22. And he isn't all height and strength, there is some ability behind that. If you want a guy who's truly a one-trick pony, look at robbie findley.

Altidore may not be a great international player, but he's pretty good and he's been a useful asset for us at a position we've been fairly week at since mcbride retired from international soccer. And i think he has more than enough ability to play international soccer a high level, as he's had games were he's proven to be more than capable of it. He's also had games where he's looked lazy and/or a complete non-factor.

Jumbalaya repped this.
  11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    If I Tweet I can't do better than Alex Morgan do I get a call-up? How about if I just tweet Guten Morgan! Is that classy or cheesy - or kind of aged gouda (classy AND cheesy) - and, that, my friends, brings up round about back to the Cheese Market and Jozy! He is a fine young cheese, but will be more gouda when he ages.

russ repped this.
  12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Jozy does not usually do that at AZ, for what it is worth. Altidore presses, plays high-line defence, tracks back and pops up on the wings - as well as getting into the box for chances. See if you can find the recent Vitesse game on-line someplace. It is very instructive because Jozy is active (blowing a good 1 v 1 with the keeper actually, because he is not quite twinkle-toes enough) then AZ goes up early, so Verbeek goes into a very, very compact bunker (AZ's D is a bit suspect this season, Maartens, one of their best offensive players is hurt and Vitesse is playing very well - Verbeek went overboard with the bus.) Despite the bunker being too compact- or in some ways because of it - you see Jozy very active in his own half - all the way back to outside the circle - pressing and tracking back. Vitesse, of course, scores eventually and AZ opens the game up again and now you see Jozy popping up on the wings as well as getting up and into the goal mouth for fast counters. And he assists on the late game winner - meaning he never stopped moving.

Just for some background - I'm not an AZ fan (ick!) and while I do like Verbeek and Jozy, I give Jozy mixed reviews for the USMNT, but it is clear from how he is playing at AZ that he is not lazy or static for Verbeek/AZ. I honestly would have to review some of his USMNT play under Jurgen, but I wonder if there is a difference either in role, instructions, or motivation.

sXeWesley and mikeivan repped this.
  13. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of this is correct.

14. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    right now I see why he isnt on his mind.

they are playing the worst team in the eredivisie at home and he hasnt done crap.

15. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he did just earn a corner. nicely done.

16. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jozy says stays with his man and never finds space. admittedly it is difficult with 6 or 7 on the backline but this is the worst team in eredivisie.

0-0 at halftime. not much to show for some wonderful service.

17. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alex is a 6 on a good day, he can do much better and done much better. I seen his girls and they look a lot better than Alex. Alex is extremely overhyped. Only one on that US team that's a dime or close to it is Sydney L.

18. Bookmesir

Bookmesir Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Aarau
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does JK do between Guatemala and Russia (two months time)? He leaves the best player in US history (LD) to sit and wallow in his own mid-career Willy Loman slow demise. I have to wonder, have the two of them even had a voice-to-voice conversation? Have we seen JK in the stands at any club match abroad (like we do when the cameras zoom in on other well known head coaches)? Has he been up all night devising the game plan for the friendly with Russia? Is he watching college ball at all? Who the hell knows? For a person in such a high profile position, it seems to me he keeps an awfully low profile. We get his periodic interviews to mull over with a bevvy of cryptic comments regarding personnel.
    IMHO I believe JK's influence on the youth game is zero. His influence on the college game is zero. His influence on MLS is zero. Do these things have anything to do with how he will be measured in the long haul? NO. But I think the man has the time to make an appearance or two to suggest otherwise.

19. SOCCERMARINE

SOCCERMARINE Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will we be wearing the Blue away kits to Russia?

20. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If by overhyped you mean 'winning the FIFA Ballon d'Or'... But otherwise, performance wise and relative to the respective competition, Morgan is quite clearly having a ridiculous year and prob. w/in the top 5 forwards in the world this year.

21. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    He was talking about how hot she is, not how many goals she scores. Try to keep up.

22. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC

This wins my coveted most "unintentionally funny" post of the year award!

sXeWesley repped this.
  23. Bookmesir

Bookmesir Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Aarau
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Morgan is as hot as Solo who is as hot as Mitts who is as hot as 100,000 other females playing soccer. . IMG_1338.JPG April242012 006.PNG IMG_0005.JPG ..I may have missed a zero or two.

Marko72 repped this.
  24. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, hot as in lots of goal scoring. :p

(And isn't that the important part?)

vaquero28 and Martin Fischer repped this.
  25. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    This is the type of stuff that gets a restraining order slapped on you.

Jeff Bradley and Ghosting repped this.