Altidore (bench): Sunderland vs. West Ham 2014/03/31

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by NoSix, Mar 31, 2014.

1. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nocerino plays for West Ham now?....good grief

2. NoSix

NoSix Member+

Feb 18, 2002
    Phoenix
    FT: Sunderland 1-2 West Ham

3. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

Sunderland has plenty of players with experience of relative EPL success. For me, there is far more wrong with the decisions made by this team than there is with the player ability available.

4. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dat relegation.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  5. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    And someone critcized subbing scocco for ki. makes sense. They are already playing 3 at the back with two wing backs i think. You rarely go two at the back. So he subs a holding mid off for a striker. Not a good one but it was still a striker. And you can criticize not playing altidore but at this point poyet's tried every player and they typical subs he's used all year have never worked so i'm guessing he's looking for something new, anything new, anything but the same old subs.

6. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly Poyet should go back to the Championship.

7. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    experience isn't quality. they don't have quality. And other than Johnson that midfield isn't full of guys with lots of success elsewhere and even johnson was a player that failed at big club. Ki is a cast off from a midtable team in swansea. I don't see anything wrong with a manager that's trying something new when the old way hasn't worked all season. Not to mention they rightly deserved a penalty on that handball and were screwed. Now Johnson would never be on the bench in my team so i don't get that but other than that I don't really have big problems with Poyet's moves. They all make tactical sense. In fact i've been calling for Altidore to play with a partner. for the last two games he's played two up top which i've wanted. Too bad Altdore isn't one of them. But i can't criticize him now that he's done what i thought needed to be done.

8. NoSix

NoSix Member+

Feb 18, 2002
    Phoenix
    Wickham's final stats:
    3 shots, 1 on target, 26/33 passes completed including 1 key pass, 2 dispossessions, 1 foul drawn.
    1 interception, 2 fouls committed, 1 yellow card.
    WSRating: 6.36

9. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I was complaining about subbing off Ki, who is actually a somewhat decent player and has the ability to play a killer pass, instead of subbing off Bridcutt who has shown absolutely no offensive prowess and has a tendency to play balls straight out of bounds at the times when Sunderland is pressing.

afgrijselijkheid repped this.
  10. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Well if you take off Bridcut and leave ki, you have basically have no defender in the midfielder. If you take off for a Ki you get an attacker farther up the pitch and keep a defender to sit deep. Ki is better yes and yes more likely to play a killer pass but with, but if he left Ki in he's the deepest mid and then he would be asking him to play more as a defensive midfielder which personally i think he's mediocre at. That's why Bridcut stays. That being said i think Bridcutt has been poor for a few games now.

11. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Sweet, I'm going to head to the Sunderland forum for some laughs. This ought to be good!

adi21, Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  12. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Ki is perfectly capable of dropping deep to lead them forward. He does this plenty enough as is. They had to have a goal. Right then.

Think about it. When in their top flight careers have you ever seen worse performance from Gia? Bardsley? Larsson? Fletcher? Even Ki and Johnson? Hell, throw in Altidore. The guys has a home game they simply need to win and he decided the necessary idea was to bench Johnson and give tons more attack responsibility to Alonso, Bardsley and Wickham. Cuckoogonuts.

adi21 repped this.
  13. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    It is looking more and more like that initial uptick in Sunderland's play after giving Di Canio the boot may have just been an andrenaline rush from having a new start. Do they still look loads better under Poyet now?

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    exactly

15. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, did they find some way to blame Jozy for the home debacle? Clearly he wasn't setting right in the seats, or not cheering loudly enough. He wasn't making the proper runs to the water fountain to open space for the ball boys to deliver the balls for the throw ins.

Winoman repped this.