Allocation Speculation

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by socfandan, Sep 2, 2008.

1. hocho

hocho New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Braintree
    Reading some other threads it seems Boston is in the top half of the list on strength: solid player and certainly a potential marketing machine in Mitts and USAs leading scorer (?) in Hucles. Lilly in the twilight of her career but still a solid player and well known

2. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some think we were bottom half too. I am very happy with our allocations, we have a proven leader/scorer/inspiration in Lilly, a very solid and versatile veteran in Hucles, and a very solid defender also a vet in Mitts. All very marketable in their own way as well.

As I think we discussed months ago, 3 players do not make a team, how the other spots are filled in with internationals and the draft will be the key to success on the field. The real heros/difference makers in WUSA were those players, not the Founders.

3. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn it. Damn it. Damn it.

Now I have to stop making fun of Heather Mitts. :(

:D

Solid allocations for Boston, although we may average out as the oldest.

4. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    Without a doubt - all 3 are in their 30s.

From a marketing perspective, our group is great. I need to start calling all the guys who have told me "I'll buy season tickets if Mitts is on the team" ... it's a long list. And Lilly and Hucles both have ties to the Breakers from before - it's great to bring them back into the fold.

It may not be the strongest allocation group (I'd say NJ, St. Louis, and maybe Chicago are stronger), but it's definitely a fitting one. I'm very happy with it.

Where do you think this will place us in the international draft next week? I'd say 3rd or 4th, but that's just a guess.

5. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simma down nsa...

She's actually been better since coming back from injury. Seems to have a focus and intensity she lacked before then.

And you'll likely only have her around for a year until Philly comes in to play in '10.

;)

6. hocho

hocho New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Braintree
    Whoa...you made fun of my girl? Dems fightin woids!

I'll agree that she seems more focused since her injury. Maybe she thinks this is her last hurrah, etc

7. twinssoccerdad

twinssoccerdad New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    Speaking of next year.

Is there a plan for reallocation for Atlanta and Phily? Any word on that yet?

8. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Dallas, also now scheduled for 2010. Haven't heard anything about how they plan to handle. 3 new teams, maybe each of the current 7 gives up one allocated player so each new team gets 2, and 6 of the 7 current teams drop to 2?

9. breakersgirl

breakersgirl New Member

Mar 19, 2008
  10. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

I don't see that happening. They may allocate AVAILABLE national team players, but I don't see the current teams giving up a star. Now they might have protected and non-protected players, and the new team take from the non-protected.

11. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope it doesn't, I was just throwing out one way they could do it. I don't have a problem with the 3 teams who weren't ready for 2009 not getting anyone, although since they were already announced it does feel a little more like a 2-year launch than "expansion" of an existing league.
    I would imagine that any USWNT players who are "new" would have been scooped in one of the drafts, precluding any allocation?

12. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States