Allocation Speculation

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by socfandan, Sep 2, 2008.

1. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is some Breakers player speculation spread through some other threads, but figured since we have a Breakers Forum now it would be proper to discuss here.

So, as posted by M6 here https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=15615186#post15615186, Lilly will be part of the allocation.

I have a hard team believing Lil won't be one of the Breakers 3 choices given her history with the club and I think said she would play for Boston or retire?

Hucles indicated she would choose Boston, but didn't see any other players quoted as making it their first choice.

So who will be our 3 players? Will it be Lilly, Hucles and ???

2. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    I expect to see Lilly and Hucles in Boston. The third player will depend on how those two are ranked by the league and coaches - and I have no idea how they'll be ranked. Kristine Lilly is one of the greatest female soccer players ever, but she's also 37, a new mom, and hasn't played in a while. How should she be ranked? Before the Olympics, I thought Hucles would be Boston's #3 pick. But she had a great tournament, and so it's likely that she'll be ranked a little higher than that.

Will the league make the allocations as balanced as possible (giving each team one player deemed to be in the top 7, etc.), or will they simply match preferences and attempt to reconcile any imbalance with the international draft (as they did in the WUSA)? I don't know...

To make things interesting, Brandi Chastain and Tiffeny Milbrett will also be in the allocation pool. I can't wait for Sept. 15.

3. Tomahawk

Tomahawk Member

Mar 20, 2003
    Astral Plane
    Foreign draft/allocation will be used to balance teams based on initital allocations.

So if your players include a 37 year-old new mom, a late bloomer and an unknown, expect to get an early shot at foreign players.

and NJ Sky Blue will look good with Rampone, O'Reilly & Lloyd, won't they?

4. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The event listing on the WPS Network says the International Draft order will be set by how strong they (WPS) think each team is coming out of the US Allocation phase... so it sounds like they will be matching preferences, they are not expecting the US Allocations to be even in terms of talent, which is OK.

Site also says that USWNT pool players will have completed contract negotiations by today.... makes it sound like they are contracted to WPS not the individual franchise? Will the contract $$ have any impact on a team's choices/preferences?

Each team gets to draft the rights to 2 Internationals... doesn't sound like the players will be contractually bound by the draft.

Can Chastain and Milbrett still play at this (hoped for) level?

Don't hold your breath on 9/15, it says WPS begins meeting that day, but announcements may not come til 9/19.

5. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Boston fan I refuse to acknowledge the possibility of any NY/NJ team ever looking good under any circumstances :D

Rampone and O'Reilly will be solid choices for any team.... lots of NJ natives in the pool, don't see how Sky Blue can go wrong!

And even though Lloyd is the Flavor of day/Hero of the moment, I hope she lands in NJ, or at least anywhere except Boston... if she hadn't scored that goal she would have been the Olympic goat with all her giveaways and horrendous passes.

6. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    I'm thinking an announcement may be made in conjunction with the USWNT/Ireland game in NJ that Wednesday.

Rampone, O'Reilly, and Lloyd would certainly put Jersey in the seventh position for the international draft - unless some team manages to get Chalupny, Wambach, and Solo :)

7. Tomahawk

Tomahawk Member

Mar 20, 2003
    Astral Plane
    Chalupny will be in St Louis

and I don't see how the Freedom does not get Wambach

8. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Freedom won't get Wambach if she doesn't want to go there.

Which is totally beside the point since I think M6 had tongue planted firmly in cheek suggesting that any one team would be allocated those 3 players. If they were, they would be 7th in the International draft order.

9. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    You're correct - I was trying to come up with the most ridiculous allocation group possible.

10. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heck if one team gets all three of those players, they should be required to fill out their starting lineup with women from the stands. ;)

11. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Give me Hucles as our #1, Markgraf as our #2, Lilly as our #3

And we'll take the Brazillian allocation of Marta and Cristianne...

:D

12. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. maurice cupperfield

maurice cupperfield New Member

Sep 3, 2008
    The breakers have already signed most of their roster from the us team and filled their foreign spots..they are looking for make up players enetring the try outs..

14. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh?

15. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speculation relayed to me by M6 has Wambach listing Boston among her teams. She would obviously be tier 1 with Hucles being tier 2 and Lilly tier 3. Speculation drives me nuts!

16. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    That's not exactly true... I said I thought Wambach might be interested in Boston. Whether or not she actually listed it or any other city in her top 3, I have no clue.

I seem to recall Leslie Osborne mentioning Boston (third after Chicago and one other, LA maybe) in an interview, but I can't remember where I read it.

17. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh ok. Well then I stand corrected.

18. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    What are you talking about?

19. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  20. hocho

hocho New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Braintree
  21. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, is waking up ever gonna suck for you.....

22. hocho

hocho New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Braintree
    <laugh> You are right...woke up and she wasn't there...again...

23. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'd think that just once - I mean, just once. Is that too much to ask?

24. Tomahawk

Tomahawk Member

Mar 20, 2003
    Astral Plane
    I call "bull-poop" on this. Just making stuff up to see if we're paying attention....

25. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya think? I thought it was just ignorance or something.