all time dutch XI

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by tony-soprano37, Jan 12, 2013.

1. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Very good team but I would put Rensenbrink in Wilkes' place , unless Puck would see the same as yours about Wilkes/

2. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    But Rob Rensenbrink played basically on the left side. In any case at overall dimension I believe Faas Wilkes is better than Rob Rensenbrink.

3. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I also believe so but Rensenbrink has more accolades in terms of Ballon d'Or places and ideal team places.

I think Wilkes his retrospective good status is helped by the fact that he played in Spain (a big language) and did very well (he was often compared with Di Stefano at that time).

4. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I said before that Van der Sar is generally underrated by foreigners I think (many have him outside of top 20, even top 30). Will make my case now.

First observation is that he was in my view a very balanced goalkeeper without many weak spots. He had ball skills, was positionally good and all other things that are required from a goalkeeper. Other glorified goalkeepers like Casillas have big weak spots in their repertoire. I don't think he was better as his idol Preud'homme (who was insanely athletic but had also ball skills and good reflexes, which is a rare combination for a goalkeeper) as also Van der Sar has said, but overall a good goalkeeper.

The weak spot in his résumé is that he played four seasons for 'minnow' Fulham. This undoubtedly costed him a chance for further awards. Still, he has also at that club good stats. In 2001-2002 he had the third most clean sheets while his club ended 13th in the table. In 2003-2004 he had even the most clean sheets of all GK while Fulham ended ninth. He also did well at some other stats but will not mention it here. This stat is the most important one: how hard is it to stand out and feel reassured (even the slightest doubt and miscommunication can be fatal as GK) at a minor club?

Despite this four years stint at Fulham (and not coming from a hyped nation), he ranks among the best at the ESM team selections:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/esm-team-of-the-month.1693535/

He also holds the world record of consecutive clean sheets at the moment (at Manchester United - 08/09 season - and not achieved in a unbalanced joke competition like La Liga). He also held the record for most clean sheets for the Netherlands (repeat: Netherlands) until Casillas surpassed him last year (May 2012). Is also second best in consecutive clean sheets. On top of that, he held/holds the record of clean sheets in Champions League games (at least until the end of 2011).

Made a while ago (October 2011) also an statistical overview for goalkeeper at NT. I quote in spoiler.

Show Spoiler

As everyone can see, only Zenga is clearly better. But he played with Ferri, Bergomi, Maldini, Baresi, Scirea and so on in a low scoring era. Van der Sar played with Mathijsen, Opdam and Heitinga.
    That was my case.

5. tony-soprano37

Dec 5, 2008
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    a q

a few questions : how can you put koeman (a slow sweeper) as a rightback ???
    secondly gullit a rightfooted player mainly as a leftmidfielder ? then change him with van hanegem who was leftfooted.

6. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    There isn't a right-back, it's a 3-men defensive line with 2 sweepers by the flanks of Rinus Israël.

Despite Ruud Gullit was a right-footed he could play on both sides at the same level.

7. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Agree, Gullit was a very complete player who could play as striker, foward on both sides and even as DM