All-Time Brazil Squad

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Perú FC, Jan 11, 2013.

1. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    No Dukic? Was an excellent sweeper/libero in many ways.

2. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not enough to overshadow Mauro Silva, who was almost impeccable at his best.

3. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    PuckVanHeel:
    Some more rating for Mauro Silva

Depor 99/00

La Liga and UEFA Cup matches.

2,47 Donato
    2,37 Djalminha, Makaay
    2,29 Flávio Conceição
    2,27 Naybet
    2,21 Mauro Silva, Manuel Pablo
    2,19 Fran
    2,11 César
    2,05 Songo'o
    2,00 Jaime, Jokanovic
    1,97 Romero
    1,96 Pauleta
    1,93 Víctor
    1,84 Schürrer
    1,80 Turu Flores
    1,70 Fernando

4. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Where is this taken from? Anyhow, that is how I remember it and it supports what I said.
    Defensive players like Mauro Silva, Naybet etc. also have usually an advantage when it comes down to average ratings, certainly if the team is not dominant (which Depor never really was).

5. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    football-rating blogspot

6. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    I've moved to Zinho to the attacking-midfielders category and replaced him with Gessy between the left-wingers category.

7. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    I'm not familiar with Gessy :oops:

Maybe, Mario Sergio could be a better option. But, i feel that Brazil hasn't much A-T depth in the LW position.

8. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Don't know Gessy either, but I nominate it for zaniest name of a real footballer along with Puck van Heel!

9. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Do you think Mário Sérgio was more a left-winger than an attacking-midfielder?

10. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    msioux75 repped this.
  11. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    From my mind Mario Sergio and also Ze Sergio were pre-candidates in the LW spot for WC'82 until Eder comes to scene.
    Also some Bola de Prata awards seems to confirm that.

But, i'm trust in experts opinion like ManiacButcher or Lucas Gomes :)

12. Lucas...

Lucas... Member+

Dec 18, 2012
    In Internacional and Gremio, Mario Sergio worked the left side but with the function of AM coming to the middle to open spaces and give passes organizing the attacks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At the final of the Toyota Cup 83, Mario alternated with PC Caju. That is, he knew how to play as an AM (mainly last years in career) or ponta-esquerda.

It's what I know. And I think that Marcelinho Carioca was better and (obviously) most important.

13. Lucas...

Lucas... Member+

Dec 18, 2012
    Zé Sergio was injured and returned in February 1982. He had no time.

Mario Sergio had 31 when called for Telê in 1981. The first game was coming against Ireland entering in the second half... He had great performance in this game and also against Bulgaria (was part of the starting lineup) and many believed that he would be on the list of players in the World Cup 1982. It was highlighted their ability to override Eder (who had already established himself in the starting lineup during the year 1981) if needed.

In 1982, he was called into the friendlies (January-March) and came to be in the starting lineup, but in May, was no longer part of the squad.

I don't know the exact reason. I believe he had a dip in form in the club (in friendlies of Brazil NT in 82, it was not as good as in 1981) and also for his personality uninterested in fighting for a spot on the team. Moreover, Dirceu stood at the decisive moment and was well regarded by Tele. ''Won'' against Mario.

There are great players who were discarded by Tele.

Another example was Roberto Dinamite... Tele clearly didn't like your football.

Guga Sukhi and msioux75 repped this.
  14. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Hey Lucas, where did you get such a nice formation tactics drawing? Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

15. Lucas...

Lucas... Member+

Dec 18, 2012
    These are not mine :( I saw in the blogs about that footbal I read.

I don't know which program is used in the first field.

In the second, is Tactical Pad (https://www.tacticalpad.com/). To use, you must pay. Formerly it was free and I did it many tactics ... is the best of all. But after I didn't signed. However, there is a demo version for 30 days. Just register in link. It is mostly used by journalists, commentators, etc.

This11 is very good, but I think we all know here.

16. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Yeah I used This11 but prefer the look of your link ... (pay? naaaaaahhhhh_) thanks anyway

17. ManiacButcher

ManiacButcher Member

Palmeiras
    Argentina
    May 23, 2004
    Brasil
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yeah, as Lucas Gomes said before, Mario Sérgio was a really good lefty AM.
    He also was an ordinary coach and now is a poor commentator (he usually confuses "strong opinion" with "saying the wrong stuff at the wrong time") for Fox Sports here in brazil.

18. Michaelf7777777

Apr 20, 2012
    Wellington
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand
    My All Time Brazil XI (Manager: Mario Zagallo) (4-3-1-2)

GK: Gilmar
    RB: Carlos Alberto
    CD: Luis Pereira
    CD: Domingos Da Guia
    LB: Junior
    CM: Didi
    CM: Dunga
    CM: Toninho Cerezo
    AM: Garrincha
    ST: Pele
    ST: Ronaldo
    Substitutes: Julio Cesar, Aldair, Nilton Santos, Mauro Silva, Zizinho, Roberto Rivelino, Romario
    Other Squad Members: Claudio Taffarel, Djalma Santos, Thiago Silva, Zico, Ademir

My most controversial selection is probably Garrincha as AM but from memory he played there after Pele got injured in the 1962 world cup and was the player of the tournament. Besides which he generally did what he liked anyway. He'll have similar freedom in my teaqm to roam around, run at defenders and cause havoc.

19. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Mario Sergio seems to played the "Zagalo's role" according the info provided.
    I think that Paulo Cesar Caju also played sometimes as AM.

20. ManiacButcher

ManiacButcher Member

Palmeiras
    Argentina
    May 23, 2004
    Brasil
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yeah, you're right msioux, they could do similar roles.
    But one thing must be clarified:
    - Zagallo was a Left winger that would help in the defence by getting in the composition of the midfield. He did not have the creativity and passing techniques of a talented number 10. And Mario Sergio was an attacking mid with the attributes of a classic number 10 here in Brazil but could play as a left winger.

Hércules from Fluminense (30's) is as left winger that could be in the list.
    Araken Patusca is another great name that could be in.

msioux75 repped this.
  21. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    That was my idea, Mário Sérgio was an attacking-midfielder by left but not exactly a left-winger in my opinion. I've him under Marcelinho Carioca into the attacking-midfielders.

Lucas... repped this.
  22. Lucas...

Lucas... Member+

Dec 18, 2012
    Perú FC, you have the help of someone to do list or did it all yourself? I haven't this capability... Impressive your knowledge about brazilian players. Congratulations. :)

23. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    I did this by myself but during the years I've learned considering many other points of view and knowledge, for example, here from my fellow msioux75.

I've done the same job for Perú and Argentina and I'm right now doing this for Uruguay. Then I've the intention to continue with Chile, Colombia, Paraguay and maybe Ecuador, Bolivia and Venezuela before moving to Europe and the rest of the world.

24. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Agree it's a great job. You should do one on Mexico as well, I think it would bring up a lot of comments and interest here.

25. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Probably I'll try to do it later, I already can feel some dilemmas, for example, to decide between Antonio Carbajal and Jorge Campos, or learn more about some players as Horacio Casarín.