All-Time Brazil Squad

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Perú FC, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Dirceu was mainly an attacking-midfielder. He's 4th in his category.

Why do you think it?, he ever was basically a goal poacher and just only sometimes he could play as forward.

2. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    It's a separation of categories with a narrow margin of difference but necessary from my point of view. There's a substantial difference between players like Riquelme or Zidane and Ronaldinho or Rivaldo.

Rivelino was an attacking-midfielder but very aggresive in the attack, many times playing as forward for his teams and even as a wing-forward for Brazil. He's suitable to the deep-lying forwards category, not into forwards).

Pelé could be categorized into either category (deep-lying forward or forward) but his main position in Santos during his golden years was in the attacking line and I'd put him more suitable as forward.

3. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Youre right about these two. Dinamite was used as main striker for Brazil but his style was more like Tevez so I just comment he is best used as a FW than a pure striker. Either case is fine

4. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Again rightly so.
    Rivelino (like Zico and Socrates) were CAM by nature. In some games, they often surgeed up in attack to score goals (once the midfield is ok) ONLY for Brazil NT, Rivelino was used as left wing, since the center attack was occupied by Pele (he can not compete there). However at following WC74 (w/o Pele) he came back tto his old CAM there.

Pele:
    From 1956-1966: 100% deep-lying forward
    Frome 67-74: more like a 75% CAM since he started loosing lots of pace

5. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    My impression. I could follow the entire career of both of them and I think Mauro Silva was the most trascendental player by sure.

6. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Yes, I'm doing Uruguay.

7. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Actually, I categorized to Agostino Di Bartolomei as central midfielder, despite Nils Liedholm nominally placed him in front of the defense, he was by sure a deep-lying playmaker before a defensive player.

8. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Evidence?, it's all about a documented impression.

Pipiolo repped this.
  9. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Sócrates was the most typical attacking-midfielder in my opinion, Zico and Rivelino were more aggresive in the attack and could more easily confused into the forward line of his teams.

10. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    I believe it's not exactly, during his golden years at Santos he played as forward just behind Coutinho. Dorval and Pepe were the attacking-side forwards and Mengálvio the playmaker. They didn't use a deep-lying forward.

11. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Anyone ever heard of Mário Sérgio who played for Gremio in 1983 Toyota Cup? I learned about him from youtube. I wondered if he could be a candidate for the top 15 central midfielder.

Guga Sukhi repped this.
  12. Lucas...

Lucas... Member+

Dec 18, 2012
    to complete: He also had success in the Internacional, Grêmio rival, where he was brazilian champion in 1979. He was part of the starting lineup. Today, he is known for being coach and television commentator.

13. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    How do you rank him? From the footage, he seemed to be a central midfielder and a very good one. I can see him up there with Lima or Ze Roberto. Of course, I only saw him on youtube.

14. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    What is the difference between a deep-lying forward and a forward in your book? What made Pelé different in role as say Rivaldo?

Fair enough, you evade the question.
    Evidence = match ratings, all star teams, individual awards, prizes, quality of teams played, statistics, statements by knowledgeable people etcetera

Nevermind.

15. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Alemao

85 #1 Bola de Prata Meio Armador
    87/88 #1 foreigner in Sept, #2 foreigner in Oct, #1 foreigner in Feb.
    88/89 CM 6.38 GP 16
    89/90 CM 6.54 GP 27 P 1
    90/91 CM 6.23 GP 20 P 3
    91/92 CM 6.11 GP 28 P 10
    92/93 CM 6.43 GP 21 P 1
    93/94 CM 6.09 GP 17 P 9

He is listed as Mediano/Centrocampista centrale for 4 years and Interno/Centramapista centrale for 2 years. What's the difference?

Mauro Silva

92/93 Mundo 2.65 5th best overall player Don Balon 6.64 9th best overall player made Don Balon XI
    93/94 made Don Balon XI
    94/95 didn't make Don Balon XI and not among notable players
    1st half 95/96 didn't make Don Balon XI and not among notable players

That's all I could find. Missing like 2/3 of Mauro Silva's career so no conclusion possible.

16. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Where is the Don Balon XI posted or published?

Anyhow, no hard feelings to Peru. My judgement is also based on personal impressions which are mostly informed by seeing them playing the game. Looking at opta stats was to support my impressions.
    Eventually both players were overshadowed by others. Alemao by Careca/Maradona; Mauro Silva by Bebeto, Dukic, Donato, Fran (I believe Dukic was the 'defensive star player' but maybe I'm wrong). Later by Makaay, Valeron, Djalminha, Naybet etc.

I'm no Italian but I would translate interno as a box-to-box like player (not totally the same) with emphasis on vertical movements. Mediano is more like a 'screener' with emphasis on horizontal movements. That is basically how I've understood it; mediano=horizontal, interno=vertical.
    Defensive players can also be an 'interno' though like Rijkaard, Cerezo. Deschamps, Desailly are a mediano.
    Sometimes a player plays both in one season.

17. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
  18. Daniel96

Daniel96 Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Australia, NSW
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    More of a modern Brazil XI

------------- [Gilmar] ----------------
    Cafu - C.Alberto - Lucio - R.Carlos
    -------------- Falcao -----------------
    - Garrincha - Zico - Ronaldinho -
    ----------- Pele - Ronaldo --------

19. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    I've Mário Sérgio as an attacking-midfielder. He played as one in the team that won the 1983 Copa Libertadores. Osvaldo was the central midfielder and China the defensive.

20. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    So what is your opinion of him? He looked very good!!! I really enjoyed his dribbling style.

21. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    In the Rivaldo's role there is a balance between the offensive driving tasks from the midfield and defining tasks, in the Pelé's role there is more weight in defining tasks despite his creative abilities.

22. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Why do you think it's an evasion?, I read a concrete answer.

23. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    You're referring as evidence to awards and statistics, which can only be taken as guidelines.

I'm not sure what are you referring by knowledgeable people, but if are popular impressions about them I believe Mauro Silva have also a slightly advantage.

24. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    I've him between the 16th and 20th position of the attacking-midfielders. He was a very good player in Gaúcho tournaments with good spells at Internacional and Gremio but not so superlative to be a great missing (I believe he's near to the dimension of Marcelinho Carioca).

25. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I would say Mauro Silva at Depor was overshadowed by Bebeto, Valeron and Djalminha (as most defensive players usually are by creative/attacking ones), but no one else.