All-time best Ecuadorian players

Discussion in 'Ecuador' started by Pingudo, Oct 31, 2005.

1. ecuaboy12

ecuaboy12 Member

May 18, 2005
    Lehigh Acres FL
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Estas loco viejo!

2. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    My uncle played with Aguinaga and others in the NT and said he was very good.

3. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    sorry bro. no he's not. He still isn't and probably won't
    be better than Aguinaga.

4. ecuaboy12

ecuaboy12 Member

May 18, 2005
    Lehigh Acres FL
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Agree to disagree that's all bro I'm not taking anything away from Aguinaga I heard he was a beast, but he just wasn't in my time period. I'm just going by the things Valencia has achieved so far that no other Ecuatoriano has. Just like we'll probably disagree of who the best player ever is and it's a small Argentine :p

5. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    i got fully into watching futbol not too long before the 02 WC Qualifier. And Even though Aguinaga was in his late 20's/early 30's at that time (i only saw the later years of his career), i can still agree that what I saw displayed on the field from him was better than what i see from Antonio. Not taking anything away from AV, but Aguinaga was in a class of his own. Too much class.

6. mac-0n3

mac-0n3 Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Thats the same time i started to watch out NT too. Before that i didnt even know We had a NT lol . Btw im 23 so yea im young and only saw Aguinaga well passed his prime. From what i remember he was like the only man on the field who wasnt black , and he controlled the midfield . Oh and his long pony tail haha.

Valencia has accomplished more in his career then any other Ecuadorian before him. That doesn't mean he is more talented then any one of the other greats. Valencia had a worldcup to showcase his skills at , at a young age, a opportunity that passed legends didnt have. I heard on here that Milan wanted Aguinaga back in the day but it didnt go threw for what ever reason.

7. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I have to disagree with Mac. Your definition of achievement is based on the fame tied to today's more marketed soccer industry.

Alberto Spencer will for a very long time be considered Ecuador's greatest talent...EVER.
    And it's not only for what he did on the field, but also off the field.

He won Libertadores championships with Penarol and won the intercontinental cup back when it meant something to beat a European team...not like now. His style of play and ability to score was truly something else. Even Pele said that there were things Spencer did better than him. Yeah, he was never showcased at a World Cup, but those that know soccer will never forget to mention him. Spencer became in idolo in both Ecuador and Uruguay. In Penarol, he's godlike, and in Ecuador, he'll be the greatest luminary that we've ever produced. When he died, I remember seeing reports of Penarol fans and Uruguayos that were devastated by the news.

8. mac-0n3

mac-0n3 Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Your totally right. I didn't express my opinion clearly about valencia accomplishing more career wise then any other Ecua. When i said Valencia had accomplished more in his career i meant as far as WorlWide Exposure in playing for a WorldWide recognized team. But I never said Valencia was the most talented, i clearly said he wasnt .

9. EmarosaNYC

EmarosaNYC Member

Nov 1, 2011
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Antonio Valencia is the best player in our generation.

- top 5 winger in the world
    - championships

10. Emelectric15

Emelectric15 Member

Emelec, LA Galaxy
    Ecuador
    Mar 13, 2005
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I have to agree with you there, there is no equal to Aguinaga's class on the pitch, he was almost magical at times. It's a shame he grew up in the generation that he did, otherwise he might have received more recognition on a global scale. He reminded me a lot of Valderrama because of his deft touch and vision, also his anticipation was outstanding. He wasn't the fastest or the strongest players but he was a footballing wizard for sure.

Valencia is a different kind of talent because he grew up in the generation where Ecua footballing was sprouting it's wings and beginning to aspire to greater things. Aguinaga never made the move to Europe, Valencia knew he had to acheive great things and he put his all into making a name for himself and putting Ecua football in high regards. One could say Valencia has done more for Ecua football then Aguinaga.... but in terms of pure footballing ability he is still the superior in my eyes. Valencia is still a special player no doubt and has accomplishments to back him up, so one could easily argue in his favor as well.