All-time best Ecuadorian players

Discussion in 'Ecuador' started by Pingudo, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Pingudo

Pingudo New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I got a request to start a thread like this, so here it is:

Let's list at least 22/23 players, by position.

I'll start (in no particular order)

Goalkeepers

Jorge Bolanos
    Carlos Morales
    Jose Cevallos

Defenders

Luis Capurro
    Ivan Hurtado
    Holguer Quinonez
    Ulises De la Cruz
    Alberto Montaño
    Lecaro Macias
    Kleber Fajardo

Midfielders

Alex Aguinaga
    Cleber Chala
    Jose Villafuerte
    Hamilton Cuvi
    Edison Mendez
    Marlon Ayovi
    Alfonso Obregon

Forwards

Alberto Spencer
    Tin Delgado
    Eduardo Hurtado
    Carlos Raffo
    Angel Liciardi
    Felix Lasso
    Enrique Raimondi
    Washingto Munoz

* I'm sure I'm forgetting some

2. Argentine Futbol

Argentine Futbol Red Card

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Where's Ansaldo as a goalkeeper? lol

3. El_Maestro

El_Maestro Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Planet Earth
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil

I have a few complaints about your list.

First of all Jorge Bolaños (the famous and important one anyway) was a midfielder, not a goalkeeper, and yes he would belong on the list.

Among the defenders you list some guy named Lecaro Macías, hopefully you were talking about Vicente Lecaro and Luciano Macías, two different individuals who, by the way, would have to lead this category.

I think Kléber Fajardo is OK in there as well, but he could've done so much more if that criminal Coimbra hadn't broken his leg, he was never the same after that injury.

Other than that I wouldn't put Alberto Montaño there, he's just a step behind the rest.

Cléber Chalá also out for the love of God. He sucks and he's always had. Period.

Not much a fan of Marlon Ayoví, I think Héctor Carabalí was a million times the better player, but since Ayoví has been more consistant, played a World Cup and is not a drunken fool, I guess you can have him.

Some people would like you to put Polo Carrera among the midfielders, since I never saw him play I cannot vouch for him, but he's a possibility.

José Gavica is a possibility too, but he's a classic case of too much skill for such a small mind. So, no, he's out.

Now, on to the forwards, Carlos Raffo and Angel Liciardi may have played some time for the national team, but they are both argentines, so I'm sorry, they're out.

For pure quality and since he scored the goal that qualified us to Japan/Korea 2002, Kaviedes should be there, but he's just too nuts.

Out of nostalgia I'd like to see Carlitos Muñoz in there too, he could've accomplished so much more.

4. Pingudo

Pingudo New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I agree with a lot of them. I was half sleep when I posted this.

Per your input:

Goalkeepers

Carlos Morales
    Jose Cevallos

Defenders

Luciano Macias
    Vicente Lecaro
    Luis Capurro
    Ivan Hurtado
    Ulises De la Cruz
    Holguer Quiñonez
    Kleber Fajardo

Midfielders

Alex Aguinaga
    Polo Carrera
    Jose Villafuerte
    Hamilton Cuvi
    Jorge Bolaños
    Alfonso Obregon
    Edison Mendez
    Marlon Ayovi

Forwards

Alberto Spencer
    Agustin Delgado
    Eduardo Hurtado
    Felix Lasso
    Enrique Raimondi
    Washington Muñoz
    Ivan Kaviedes

5. yoryi

yoryi Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Boogie Down BRONX!
    What about Carlitos "frenton" Munos, Jimmy Izquierdo.

6. El_Maestro

El_Maestro Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Planet Earth
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Carlitos Muñoz is definitively in my list, that guy was pure heart and "pueblo" who even accepted playing as a right back with Draskovic even though he was a forward, and the best one we had back then in my opinion. May he rest in peace.

Jimmy Izquierdo, who also died a horrible death by the way, was not really "top Ecuadorian players of all time" list material. He had a good shot, that was it. May he rest in peace too.

7. kaviedes_freak

kaviedes_freak New Member

Oct 1, 2004
    Toronto
    I'll be honest, I only started to follow Ecuador futbol just around 2000, so I am unfamiliar with some of these players. is there a website which i can see in order to catch up with what I missed? if not, i guess i could ask the folks! ;)

8. kaviedes_freak

Oct 1, 2004
    Toronto
    oh yeah, i forgot to add, Jaime Ivan Kaviedes is still, talent-wise, top 3 Ecuadorians of all time. just unfortunate that he lacks, at times, motivation.

9. betto

betto New Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Cary, NC
    Dude!
    if you guys are going to start about "All time best Players" you gotta do your homework!
    Chanfle Munoz was one of the best, also Jorge Bolaños, Luis Capurro, Vicente Lecaro, Alberto Spencer, Alex Aguinaga, Holguer Quiñonez, Polo Carrera, Carlos Morales and some others deserve to be in this list. All the current active players do not deserve to be in the list yet! None of them have accomplished anything yet!
    I mean Aguinaga rule in Necaxa, Spencer all time best scorer in Libertadores, Quiñonez and Capurro were considered the best in their position in America at their prime time. Maybe the onlyone right now that deserve to be in that list is De la Cruz.
    Can someone tell me what has Kaviedes accomplished to be in ALL time best player? Come on guys! the guy doesn't even has a club at the moment!

10. El_Maestro

El_Maestro Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Planet Earth
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    After a lot of thought, here's my 4-3-3 line up with potencial subs

J. Cevallos (C. Morales)

U. De la Cruz, V. Lecaro (H. Quiñónez), I. Hurtado, L. Capurro (L. Macías)

A. Aguinaga (P. Carrera), E. Mendez (A. Obregón), J. Bolaños

W. Muñoz (C. Muñoz), A. Spencer, A. Delgado (I. Kaviedes)

If you want a more realistic 4-4-2 line up, sit Delgado out and put Obregón next to Méndez in midfield.

On a different note I just noticed the midfielder's list. There's no enforcer there, like the Argentines, Brazilians and Uruguayans who've always had their enforcers.

We'd never had one until the 2002 qualyfiers, and that's Edwin Tenorio. Don't get me wrong, he's nowhere near the list quality wise, but these last two qualyfiers he's been our "caudillo", and he's been really, really important. So in a fantasy game, you might as well put Tenorio in that All Star line up for the dirty work.

11. Ciclon_Ecuatoriano

Ciclon_Ecuatoriano New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Toronto
    you are rright my friend, every team needs a guy like Edwin Tenorio. he does teh dirty work, fighting for balls and the like. he does have a quality pass, remember, he did find Mendez against Paraguay which lead to perhaps the best goal of the qualifiers.

12. yoryi

yoryi Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Boogie Down BRONX!
    Like I said before,the only Ecuadorian player "of all time" with heart and balls is EDWIN TENORIO....arechho el hijo de !uta.

13. loraz

loraz New Member

May 12, 2005
    Ulisess Delacruz

He does have the heart and no one can take that away from him but I do not think he is our greatest player. He is one of the greatest but not the greatest.

IMO, Delacruz is my greatest player. He is clean and efficient and always, I mean always pushing fowrad. Even in Atson villa he shows his talent by pushing that freaking ball foward but unfortunatly no one is there to acompany him. Pisses me off when no one is fowrad along side of him. We need stikers to always be johny on the spot with Delacruz

As far as Kaviedes is concerned, motivation he has. Support is a MOFO in the NT for Kaviedes. It seems that a lot of coaches are too focused on the game of players that gives coaches a type of tunnel vision. Coaches need to see the big picture and not disregard what the players feel otherwise, misunderstandings within the team leads to unnecessary tension. Communication is very important within the team. It would be wise to really get into the minds of the players to see what truly motivates in order to bring out the players full potential. This is a formula that applies to anyone in charge. It achieves maximum efficiency.

I’ve worked on films with great directors and not so great directors. Good directors get your trust first so that later on it is easier to drill the actor in order to get the best performance.

If this trust was cultivated enough within our NT, it would guarantee a better outcome.

I’ve seen Kaviedes recent photos and his spirit looks down. This needs to be acknowledged otherwise we lose one more talent that can potentially jeopardize our success in the World cup

14. yoryi

yoryi Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Boogie Down BRONX!
    I did't say he was the "greatest player". I said he is the only one with heart and balls.Tell me what other ecua player has his picardia!!!

15. cacho_2b_famous redded

Sep 6, 2005
    spencer played in Peñarol , right?? I heard he was good...

16. eL-ShorTy

eL-ShorTy Member

Sep 18, 2005
    San Antonio
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Alex Aguinaga brings a lot of good memories with Necaxa. :)

17. betto

betto New Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Cary, NC
    Spencer is one of the best players that ever lived! I'm not just saying this. He gets overlooked because he was never in WC! Uruguay wanted him to nationalized to play for their NT in the WC, but he did not do it cause he did not want to lose his Ecua citizenship.
    Someone posted an article about him here!
    Can it be posted it again?

18. kaviedes_freak

Oct 1, 2004
    Toronto
    it was a strange situation, but Spencer actually played 3 games I think it was for Uruguay's NT, and scored a goal in a friendly loss to England. if I am wrong, someone correct me.
    he is all time top scorer in the Copa Libertadores! that is an amazing feat, even more then Pele! :D

19. kaviedes_freak

Oct 1, 2004
    Toronto
    Alex, my Mexican friends tell me, was considered to be the best player in the Mexican league when he was playing. I just wish I could see this boy play in his prime!

20. betto

betto New Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Cary, NC
    He did play w/ Uruguay NT, but in friendlies only! since he needed to be a Uruguayan citizen to be able to play in an official tournament

21. eL-ShorTy

eL-ShorTy Member

Sep 18, 2005
    San Antonio
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    He was consider one of the top players in Mexico. He has everything especially class.

22. cacho_2b_famous redded

Sep 6, 2005
    ohh so spencer was good.. thats good that an andino was the top scorer for libertadores!

23. Pingudo

Pingudo New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Some statistics:

Name..................NT years....Caps...Goals

Goalkeepers

Carlos Morales....1987-1999....40....0
    Jose Cevallos......1994-2005....77....0......1 WC

Defenders

Luciano Macias....1957-1969....23....2
    Vicente Lecaro....1959-1969....18....0
    Luis Capurro.......1985-2003....100...1
    Ivan Hurtado......1992-2005....126...5......2 WC *
    Ulises De la Cruz.1995-2005....79.....5......2 WC *
    Holguer Quiñonez.1984-1999...50.....0

Midfielders

Alex Aguinaga.....1987-2004....109...23.....1 WC
    Polo Carrera........1966-1983....20.....3
    Jorge Bolaños......1960-1973....27....0
    Jose Villafuerte....1976-1985....42....4
    Hamilton Cuvi.....1983-1989.....45....7
    Alfonso Obregon..1995-2004....58.....0......1 WC
    Edison Mendez.....2000-2005....58....10.....2 WC *

Forwards

Alberto Spencer.....1959-1972....11....4
    Agustin Delgado....1994-2005.....65....29.....2 WC *
    Eduardo Hurtado....1992-2000....74....26
    Felix Lasso.............1966-1975....27....7
    Washington Muñoz.1965-1973....16....6

Others worth mentioning:

Marlon Ayovi..........1998-2005....68....5......2 WC *
    Edwin Tenorio........1998-2005....63....0......2 WC *
    Ivan Kaviedes........1998-2005....40....12.....2 WC *
    Kleber Fajardo........1987-1994....36....0
    Raul Aviles.............1987-1993....55....16

*Assuming he plays in Germany '06

24. cacho_2b_famous redded

Sep 6, 2005
    aguinaga aint going to Germany 06??

25. kaviedes_freak

Oct 1, 2004
    Toronto
    he hasn't played for Ecuador since that disaster that was Copa America 2004. Suarez felt his time was up and that was that.