All-Time Argentina Squad

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Perú FC, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Like already been said, Di Stefano was Argentinean and he helped Argentina to win copa america scoring 6 goals in 6 matches (including a hattrick & was second top scorer in the tournament). He also won 2 league titles with Riverplate. That's more than enough. In comparison, Zanetti has won nothing for Argentina nor for 2 Argentina clubs he played in.

What has Pepe and Deco win for Brazil? 2 caps? or nothing at all?

2. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    it was a sarcastic counter example ... ov players who QUIT NT to play for another
    And I repeated ONLY GLORY hunter would include a "great player" in his NT all time even he ONLY PLAYED 6 games (or 1 tournament). Even I would doubt if Di Stefano ever considered himself as a "true Argentinian" LOL

3. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Cambiasso never played DM for Argentina. He was a box to box midfielder always partnered with a more defensive midfielder. Plus he rarely played well for Argentina.

4. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    So DI Stefano was not Argentine? Stop the Brazilian bitterness. You know it was completely different back then.

5. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    During the years you mentioned Peñarol from Uruguay won in 67 and 61. But during 1964, 1965, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1977. 1978, etc... all those Copa Libertadores were won by Argentine clubs. SO you decide if it was good.

6. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Oh and Pele with Santos lost multiple times against teams from Argnetina. But yeah Messi losing to Chelsea means he’s not very good.

7. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    name me a team that Pele had hard time to score against>?

I listed out in other post:
    Pele>> Messi against Italy clubs (in general)
    Pele then >>>> Messi against English clubs (in general) - unless you want me to remind 0goals/8games vs Chelsea?

It;s NOT that Messi is not good. He is extremely good but NOT out of this planet... as he still got some weaknesses ,,, to his games that is "very stoppable"

8. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Well Messi scored against Manchester United in 2 different CL final when they were the EPL champins. But that’s beside the point. Was it more difficult to score during Pele’s era or now. you know the era ehre you claim players are much better trained, have better condition, atc...?

Make up your mind because its a walking contradiction at this point. Poeple keep on claiming that players now are better equipped, better prepared, better trained. So by logic it must be more difficult to score and be a top player than 50 years ago, So please explain to me the logic.

condor11 repped this.
  9. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    On my criteria both are Portuguese because they just only played for Portugal internationally.

10. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Agreed.

11. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    By the aforementioned page and some appropiate contacts from FourFourTwo and FootballSquads.

12. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Great post Peru FC. I'd like to see ones done of Italy and Uruguay if possible.

13. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    I've to point out again that the idea isn't to make all-time national teams because in that case I could only judge international performances and players as Sergio Goycochea, José Luis Brown, Jorge Burruchaga or Claudio Caniggia would become true candidates to be in the first team.

The original idea is to make all-time teams with the best players ever produced from each country at all levels.

14. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    There are plenty of box-to-box midfielders whom I'd consider as defensive midfielders, Esteban Cambiasso is one of them. He initially played as a central midfielder but reached the maturity of his game as a defensive piece of Inter Milan.

15. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    I'm right now preparing the Brazilian, then I'll try to do the Uruguayan.

16. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Awesome! Looking forward to them.

17. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Cambiasso has never been a DM for Inter. He’s always been partnered with a more defensive midfielder. Right now he’s with Walter Gargano. Cambiasso is a box to box midfielder who gets up field more than he does stay back. Even when he played with Argentina he always had Mascherano.

18. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Actually, I'd say Cambiasso almost ever played as defensive midfielder for Inter Milan, having a defensive partner doesn't mean automatically he becomes a central midfielder if his main tasks are still defensive. Also he played many times as the lonely anchor man with Muntari, Stankovic or even Zanetti in more advanced roles.

As Cambiasso, there are many box-to-box midfielders as Yaya Touré, Patrick Vieira or Edgar Davids who are defensive midfielders in my opinion. The next category of central midfielders is for deep-lying playmakers and some other with more balanced tasks (all-round midfielders) as Lothar Matthäus or Steven Gerrard on my criteria.

19. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003

The magazine has a complete archive in Buenos Aires. Jonathan Wilson was talking about it on a recent Hand of Pod podcast as he was doing research there. Not sure if any individual would have a complete collection as it was at one point weekly and has been going for decades so there would be thousands of copies.

20. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Was just curious. Some magazines are better accessible like kicker for example or france football.

I've always wondered by the way how reliable and neutral El Grafico is. They had a huge influence in seeing the 1940s as Golden Era of their football and also in this list a big part of the names are from 1950s and earlier. More so as generally is the case with other nations.
    This era is for me even more 'mysterious' by the lack of international football (friendlies, competitions) between South America and Europe. They lived in relative isolation so to speak. Do not mean it harsh but it makes it mysterious. Especially with people regarding Moreno as top 20 player of all time.

schwuppe repped this.
  21. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The argument for ranking these players so high is that in the 50s top Argentine players -Di Stefano, Sivori etc- were dominant in Europe, and according to some who lived and played during that era, the players from the 40s -Moreno, Pedernera etc- were even better than those from the 50s. Players, including recognized all-timers like Obdulio Varela and Di Stefano himself spoke with awe about the stars from the 40s, and so did the sports journalists and the fans. Unfortunately, all we have from that era is lots of words of praise and very little footage.

Pipiolo repped this.
  22. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He also lost to Argentina with Brazil's national team.

23. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    no it's me who needs an explain why Messi could not socre against Chelsea after 8games (not randomly 1 or 2? why he could not score even haft rate (of Barca) at Wc and Copa? again. tey are also at least 8games played ...

24. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Chelsea applied tactics that neutralized Barca’s entire team it was not just Messi. Xavi, Iniesta, aside from his wonder goal to get Barca to the final, were mostly neutralized as well. Chelsea is Barca’s demon. They know how to play them better than any other team I can think of.

Don’t bring up the WC and Copa again because we already know what happened. And obviously Messi was playing a completely different role with 2 different coaches. Look at his form now with Argentina where he’s actually being used correctly.

25. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    I had an All-Time Ranking from el Grafico made it in mid-70s, in which Albrecht & Sacchi were the most voted CBs.
    Behind them, i remember the likes of Salomon, Bidoglio, Dellacha.

Players who were still active by then and not considered. I'd rated high. Passarella, Perfumo and Piazza.

Post 70s. Ruggeri, Ayala and Samuel.