All-Time Argentina Squad

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Perú FC, Oct 25, 2012.

1. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    In fact, i have the idea (on project) do both, who are related.
    1) Making a list of WC/IC seasons for main players in the leagues and era which ratings are vailable.
    2) Estimate the strenght of those leagues, based on "level on paper" (by numbers of stars footballers playing on it) and comparing with "level by top players" (by numbers of players who reached WC/IC rating)

2. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    According to the notes and articles of the magazine El Gráfico.

3. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    That's the reason of my last reply and the clarification in Spanish in the introducing of my blog, this selection isn't limited to what have been done internationally, but their overall career, which I think is more appropiate for a historical theme.

An appart issue is from the names you quoted just only Labruna and Kempes played as strikers as Batistuta to the proposed lineup.

4. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    I believe wouldn't be very functional add to Pedernera in the starting lineup having already so many creative players (Maradona, Di Stéfano and Moreno) despite we could put Di Stéfano as a centre-forward.

5. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    During 5 seasons.

6. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Does a comprehensive archive of that magazine exist? And where?

@ msioux, I asked earlier whether you know 'prestigious' ideal teams. You referred to ideal team nominations in relation to Perucca.

7. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It can work though, as Sabella is doing something similar with Messi, DiMaria, Aguero and Higuain all playing together. Menotti's team of WC78 featured on ocassion Alonso, Housemann, Bertoni and Kempes at the same time.

If he started during all five seasons, it should make him one of RM's top three keepers ever, particularly since he won two EC's during that time.

8. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Pedernera, Maradona, Moreno and Di Stefano all of them peaked playing as a AM or withdrawn type of forward. More related to central roles as playmakers.

From the list, only Beto Alonso was a playmaker.
    The likes of Houseman, Bertoni and Di Maria are wingers.
    Messi and Kempes could be classified as all around forwards
    Aguero and Higuain are strikers or SS.

So, very different roles among them

9. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    I said he doesn't play too much in La Liga
    1957-58: 16/30
    1958-59: 05/30
    1959-60: 28/30
    1960-61: -/30
    1961-62: 02/30
    http://www.bdfutbol.com/es/j/j8186.html

10. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes, it's true, there would be little wing play, and crucially, they may get in the way of one another. I guess Sivori or Messi could replace one of DiStefano or Pedernera, since to me Maradona and Moreno are untouchable.

11. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    the UNTOUCHABLES in Argentina all time XI"
    1- Playmaker : Maradona (WC86 + WC90final)
    2- MF: Moreno (3 first Copa America for NT)
    3= FWKempes (won very first ever for NT)
    4- STBatistuta (2 copa9293 + 1confed92 + 10goals/WC level + NT topscorer)
    5- MF Pedernera (2copas for NT)
    6- FB Zanetti (best FB ever for NT)
    8- DM: Redondo (Copa93 +confed92 as MVP)
    9- CB: Passarella (best CB ever forNT)
    10: FW: Sivori (copa)
    11: GK: Goycoecha (2copas, confed and WC90 final)

The rest are OPEN to fill up 23 names in: Di Stefano, Messi, Ortega, Caniggia, Monti, Bochini, Rugerri, Sorin, Veron, Crespo .Carrizo ....

dor02 repped this.
  12. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It cant be based only on thropies, that's kinda unfair.
    Based on achievent alone Ruggeri should be on the starting 11. WC 86, WC 90 runner up, Copa 91 & 93, 92 confedration cup. Also he's not playing in 90 final which Argentina lost.
    For example, Maradona has played alongside Kempes and Bati and he said Bati is the best he ever played with not Valdano not Kempes.

Goycho technically not the best goalie but he's godlike on penalty shoot out. Winning 5 penalty shoot out between 90-94

dor02 repped this.
  13. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Why NOT? Skills and plus achievement.
    As great as Di Stefano he did not do much and only played a few games for Argentina should NOT be included in XI all time! Actually if I were an Argentina I would feel BAD about that, as he played many more games for Spain so he should be a Spaniard moreso than an Argentinian

Skills is great, but if that player did NOT win anhthing or help NT then forget him ! Like Ronaldinho so skillful (among best all time for such skills) but could not contribute much, and he should NOT be in Brazil XI all time!

14. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    An all-time XI should consist of the best players at every position, so DiStefano of course makes it. He won the one sole tournament he played with Argentina, and didn't play more with the NT because of the AFA politics (not sending its best players to the WC). Don't think it's too fair to hold him against him. On the other hand, Ronaldinho disappointed with Brazil at WC06, when he was supposed to carry the team.

15. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    First which position you think Di stefano was best for Argentina? (do not guess ... LOL)

Last and NOT least, whatever "excuses" a player who ONLY played 6games for a team (whole career) should NOT hold any water on his bucket! Even he coudl score 20goals in such 6games who cares! An average NT career should be at least 35-45games, to be counted!

16. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Sure, there are some users of the popular website Taringa! whom collect those.

By his work, I believe msioux75 had also the collection or he could read it.

17. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    My lineup was Maradona as AM towards the left, Pedernera as AM towards the right, and DiStefano and Moreno as forwards.

18. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Why did you pick Zanetti over Ruggeri then? Zanetti never won anything while Ruggeri has won everything with NT.

Di Stefano played for Colombia, Spain and Argentina and the only thropy he won was for Argentina in 1947. He netted on all his goal for Argentina in that tournament.

19. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I considered him more of a Spanish player - you can opnly choose one NT.
    He did good (not excellent) in Copa47, but those were only 6 games in Argentina shirt.
    It'd be a "glory hunting" matter to include a player who only played SIX games for a country!

20. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    That's exactly what this is, at least about the serie I'm proposing. They're dream teams comprised of the best players in the history of each country, not just only about the most awarded or the best in their national teams.

21. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    DiStefano is Argentinian, he himself leaves no doubt of that.

22. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    So what about Pepe and Deco? were NOT they Brazilian? But we never missed them in our team at any year !!!

23. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    LOL, Pepe and Deco would not make even the Brazilian Z-team. The rules were different during DiStefano's time, he likely would not have chosen to play for Spain under the present rules.

24. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    To be honest, Deco would not have a chance in first team , kinda agree (however he was a very good talent who along with Ronaldinho, Etoo helped Barca building uo a new kingdom, also he led Porto to UEFA cup and then UCL)

Pepe would somehow got chance especially in this last decade or so. Brazil had not had many great CB per se ...
    ==================================

What I meant is that IF a player QUIT a NT for any reason, he would NOT deserve to be picked especially to an "ALL TIME", especially he only played SIX games career.

Now IF that player played great for NT for at least dozen games (15) then suddenly passed away, or injured and could ot play anymore (after those few games) I would tend to consider..

25. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    How did you gain access to them?