All Roads Lead to Roma: Bradley in the Eternal City v. I

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Germerica, Jul 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well De Rossi isn't leaving so....

2. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MB90 is going to actually have a bad game to be benched.

3. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he was pretty bad against Siena, but he was the only CM not subbed. Then he had a really good game against Fiorentina and again was the only CM not subbed.(Pjanic was at forward in both games) I wouldn't want to repeat the Siena performance with DDR waiting in the wings, plus Pjanic back in the midfield equation once Lamela returns. Who knows what Zeman will do if MB underperforms since he seems to really like and trust him now.(not that he didn't before but it seems like Bradley has really taken to the system and knows what Zeman wants) It helps that they have been winning since he got back into the lineup, with the exception of the Parma game.

4. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are the pluses Bradley has going for him at Roma:

1. He is a tireless worker in a system that requires a very high work rate.
    2. Zeman brought him in. In a way, he is Zeman's signature piece of the puzzle.
    3. Bradley has quickly ascertained Zeman's system and basically drives the engine.
    4. He has performed well from the beginning, in a variety of midfield positions and coming back from injury.
    5. Bradley has played well as a piano carrier on a team loaded with piano players.
    6. His basic skill package, passing dribbling, shooting, and particularly moving, is an appropriate fit for his specific role at Roma.
    7. Zeman has proven his own faith in and commitment to Michael.

These are the areas where he can still improve in this system:

1. Performing better in the attacking third. Time and space are limited. The next level of technique and decision making would be a great addition to the package.
    2. Can still make better decisions in reading and adjusting to the other team's counterattack.
    3. Rome's defense is weak. It would be great to see him with solid defenders (and the starting gk)

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  5. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to tell with Zeman with who will start. Osvaldo, Lamela, and De Rossi are all coming back. And Pjanic has been very good lately and I don't see him getting benched. Florenzi has started to slow down a bit so maybe De Rossi will replace him instead of Bradley. But I don't know how Totti, Balzaretti, and DDR all being on one side would do. And then of course with the return of Lamela, Pjanic will probably be pushed back in the midfield as well.

And De Rossi won't be sold. Our general manager has said they've already blocked numerous bids for him, and money isn't a problem for Roma anymore. The only way he will leave is if he wants to go. Which he has said many times that he has no intention of leaving.

6. Jeff Bradley

Jeff Bradley Member+

Jun 3, 1999
    Manasquan, NJ on the beautiful Jersey Shore.
    Club:
    Le Havre AC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Enjoying the ride, but you never know when things are going to change...or if they're going to change.

6-2-1 in Michael's nine starts (a stat only an uncle would track).

7. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    Is that american or euro? (I hate that we do it backwards)

Thing is, the way this team runs, there will be starts for everyone. No way you're going to have only 3-4 mids stay healthy and keep their legs for that long going this hard. Rotation is going to be key for Roma.

8. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, that means I am Sacha Kljestan's uncle.

9. Jeff Bradley

Jeff Bradley Member+

Jun 3, 1999
    Club:
    Le Havre AC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    6 wins.
    2 losses.
    1 tie.

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  10. DCUroma

DCUroma Member+

Jul 20, 2009
    Suck it Sensi
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Still needs to play more vertical balls but he seems to be doing it more frequently the last two matches.

He's really linking well with Pjanic.

11. DCUroma

DCUroma Member+

Jul 20, 2009
    Suck it Sensi
    Club:
    AS Roma
    deuteronomy, INKRO, whill4 and 1 other person repped this.
  12. Jeff Bradley

Jeff Bradley Member+

Jun 3, 1999
    Club:
    Le Havre AC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have teenage sons who play in high school and club soccer. Neither will play professionally, I promise. But when I sit down to watch Michael play with them, the greatest thing they learn from their cousin is that you never stop playing. So you lose the ball. So you miss a good chance to score. So you get nut-megged. So you had a bad game last week. Or a bad first 20 minutes today. Or, maybe your first 10 passes were perfect. Doesn't matter. Just keep playing.

13. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's it and the basis for success in any field and life in general. Get knocked down 7 times get up 8.

deuteronomy and Jeff Bradley repped this.
  14. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've coached a lot of youth players the last 25 years. Some really struggle with that kind of focus and dwell on the prior play. Others are just born with a need to seek out the next play, that will to compete regardless. I tell the kids that the NEXT play is the one that matters, but some don't get it. Indeed, I also struggle with that kind of focus when I play old farts league ball. It's not easy to move on to the next play sometimes and I really respect the guys who can.

I know which type of players I enjoy having on my teams. :D

dwsmith1972 repped this.
  15. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Or, like Oliver Kahn used to shout at his team mates: "Weiter, weiter, immer weiter!"
    ("On and on, ever onwards!")

16. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I agree that there will (and should) be a rotation starts for everyone, two other things that work in Bradley's favor are that he can usually go a full 90 (see these last few games where he was the one who didn't get subbed out), and he rarely has persistent injury issues (knock on wood).

Well said.

17. adi21

adi21 Member

The ones that have Americans starting
    United States
    Mar 17, 2001
    Maryland
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley.jpg

18. MadRHatter

MadRHatter Member

May 6, 2012
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope he doesn't get his hair styles from you.

20. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Felt like making my first video in a long time.

Gorky, 60611 and TimB4Last repped this.
  21. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Or as Muhammed Ali put it:

"Inside of a ring or out, ain’t nothing wrong with going down. It’s staying down that’s wrong."

22. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland

That was actually Jenna Jameson that said "ain’t nothing wrong with going down."

No big deal, common misconception.

23. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coaches invariably appreciate a MB-like player more so than (most) fans do. He's not flashy and won't score a ton of goals, but he will run ceaselessly and physically impose himself on the opposition, making them uncomfortable, and he will keep the ball moving (tick tock tick tock).

24. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most outstanding teams are made of Michael Bradley-type players. Excellence and consistency wins the most games. Flashiness and tons of goals are usually hit or miss.