All-Purpose TEA Party Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by dogface, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think what steve-o is saying is that now that the TP had electoral success, it should be of no surprise to anybody that all those people who were out in the streets wearing teabag hats, tricorner hats, and carrying signs are suddenly nowhere to be found. They got their people elected, so now they go back to not paying attention like they apparently were doing up until about a year ago.

Right, steve-o?

2. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Don't most national debates take place in the months leading up to an election?

Yeah. Recess until January. Because even though some TP members are currently in Congress, the majority are not. If January rolls around and you don't see change and the TP'ers are still silent, then you have a point. Until then it is all speculation.

3. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    I'm going to look into my speculate-o-rama machine and say that the TP candidates will take office and all of them to the last one will drop their election promises like third period french to follow in lockstep the GOP party line.

Furthermore, teabaggers will not say a thing about it and if they do, it will be along the lines of "it's all Obama's fault".

2 people repped this.
  4. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Nail, meet head.

The TP astroturf movement is/was just a variant of "values voters", Bible-belt voters, pro-life voters, it's Teh Ghey's fault voters, it's the immigrants' fault that 'Merika sucks voters and all the other excuses put out by the GOP to rally their base.

As soon as the election's over, the GOP abandons them. Every. Single. Time.

So no. They ain't done been in office yit, but the same shit's gonna happen. Again.

1 person likes this.
  5. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So these discussions during this lame duck session about whether to extend the Bush tax cuts haven't been a national debate or it's not that newly elected members can weigh in on?

6. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Neither.

7. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wrong. Both.

8. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    So when given a choice between A or B you say C is correct.

9. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The TPers don't like the deficit, but they like taxes even less. So I didn't expect them to protest. I suppose I'm alright with that if they have the stones to propose bigtime cuts in government spending that make the numbers work. At least it would be a coherent platform.

10. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  11. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She's not worried about paying for the tax cuts for the rich, but the extra help for the poor is like Pearl Harbor.

The very definition of a ****

12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  13. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  14. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not uncommon.

I've never seen a witch with good hair.

1 person likes this.
  15. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I'm saying is that there is without a doubt an ongoing national debate about the wisdom of extending the Bush tax cuts and the recent deal to do just that. To claim there is not is stupid. To further claim that newly elected tea-baggers or other Republican deficit hawks are precluded from commenting until they're actually sworn in is equally stupid.

16. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Unfortunately all too typical for the Tea Party, and my biggest complaint with the movement. Given the Party's lack of concern for others' woes, it's hard to shake the notion that the Tea Party consists of children who want to get more toys for Christmas.

17. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Would you care to point out where I said either of the above before your initial question?

I was saying that national debates heat up in the weeks leading up to an election. One the election has concluded that generally cools down. In this case, the newly elected officials were extremely vocal just prior to the election because they were trying to get elected. Novel concept. They are not precluded from the debate because they haven't taken office, but it is likely that they are not as vocal in the wake of the election because they are preparing for their upcoming terms.

Think of it this way - at the conclusion of a college football season that just saw the HC canned the newly appointed head coach will give an introductory speech before the public outlining his expectations. You won't hear much from the HC for the duration of the off-season, but that does not mean he is not recruiting nor preparing for the upcoming season.

To bitch and moan because you're not hearing daily recruiting reports or coaching reports is stupid.

Hence my comment about, "when do the elected officials take office." Make sense?

18. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    oh my stars, i beg to differ!

[​IMG]

the sophistication, fashion sense and general chic of frenchwomen is somewhat exagerrated, but at least in here someone like christine would get help. counselling. coiffure stamps. something!

19. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Uh. Don't know 'bout where you live but in my state I've seen half a dozen newly elected congressmen on tv doing half hour interviews, or commenting on national news from a local perspective, etc.

One quasi TP-esque dude was a blithering idiot on the campaign trail -- for some reason your ppl dig that -- but man is he articulate in a political talk show setting.

They do have a platform, actually now more than they will once sworn in. Right now... both parties are trying to get a feel for who they are? Will they be extreme? Will they fold into the status quo? What can they offer the party? It's a courtship, and the ball's in their court.

Once they're in... they're just a freshman peon.

20. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure,if A and B are both wrong.

21. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She only played one on TV.

I work with a Wiccan,and her hair's actually better than COD's.

22. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As somewhat of a clarification of your poorly articulated initial post....sure.

23. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    I guess that's where we differ. I voted for the official based on pre-election day discussions - I trust that based on their platform from the campaign they will act as promised. I will sit back and let their actions behind closed doors speak for themselves. I don't need a daily discussion.

24. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  25. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005