All-Purpose TEA Party Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by dogface, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    you take it dead wrong.

well don't be ridiculous balki! that's what i was talking about. you took that dead wrong too.

2. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    the french had the only reasonable answer:

[​IMG]

insert heads of fortune 500 executives, skull&bones members, DAR and mayflower society officers, anyone found on wall st... and let rip. repeat application as needed.

3. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, my friend. We're too sated for that.

4. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  5. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Any undergrads out there, pay attention:

Your profs in upper division courses look first at your intro for a solid thesis statement then they make a bee-line strrrrraaaaight to the bibliography, b/c the bibliography says everything.

Case in point:

Wow. A boatload of studies from the '60s and '70s, some from the early '80s and then the last study cited from the early '90s.

You don't see a problem w/ that? I do.

Academic publishing is a slow, tedious industry, but even 5 years is a lifetime for a study or theory. You're citing shit from 40 years ago when many disciplines in academia were frankly subjective and highly political. The studies you cite are the precise reason why in the mid-70's there was a massive move to ensure academic freedom. Did you know that scholarship during the era you mention held that slavery was a benign institution?

Also, that link is a PARTISAN, Republican "talking point". It even ***king says that at the ****ing top of the *** damn document.

What do the studies say about the effects of Clinton's minimum wage?

And far more relevant are more recent studies that build on previous scholars, including those who have (probably) discredited the studies you cite and probably some more "liberal" studies that you haven't cited.

1 person likes this.
  6. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    No, I don't. This is nothing more than a list of empirical studies done on the minimum wage in the US, with summarized conclusions. This is the only summary of US-centric minimum wage information I could find, and the reason it doesn't have any more recent information is because this memo was dated 1995.

Macroeconomics has always been political, sure. But the most politicized aspects of macroeconomics has always been business cycle theory and welfare theory...both of which are areas where the liberal side has been the most commonly agreed upon. Something like 70% of economists call themselves Keynesian, and most consider cash transfers to be the most efficient form of welfare. If there is any suppression of academic freedom with regards to the minimum wage, it is most surely in the opposite direction you claim.

I'm not sure how that matters. They include every single study that is not compliant with their opinion in the first ********ing paragraph. All three of them.

You have the bibliography, and I hear you are a professor, so it shouldn't be a big deal for you to find out. But you might want to check the date of the memo (1995) and compare it to the date of Clinton's minimum wage reform (1996) before you waste your time.

The fact that you think newer research "probably" discredited the studies cited is cute, but it also shows your bias and also the fact that you are wrong. You probably ignored the second link because it doesn't fit your criticism as easily as a republican talking point memo, but just in case you missed it, you should read this:

http://info.worldbank.org/etools/docs/library/251018/day5w12663April3Se1.pdf

Since you probably have a library at your school, maybe you could check out [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Minimum-Wages-David-Neumark/dp/0262141027"]this book[/ame] by the same author. Its not pop economics and wasn't intended for Krugman's blog audience, but I'm sure that shouldn't stop an incredible academic like you.

7. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France

By a curious coincidence I have been trying to put together a post showing that the discontent of the tea party and their like, deconstructed, reveals a malaise with modern society on the whole that has coalesced into virulent dislike of “gummint” in the same way inability to comprehend or accept the implications of the scientific advances of the last two centuries has resulted in creationism.

Doubting that post would meet with much enthusiasm I decided instead to start listing the kind of reading that might make my position seem sensible. A kind of bibliography but without the thesis no one would have read anyway. At the moment i’m at:

Defoe, Daniel : A Journal of the Plague Year (1722)
    Galbraith, J. K. : The New Industrial State (1967)
    Hobbes, Thomas : Leviathan (1651)
    Léry, Jean de : Histoire d'un voyage fait en la terre du Brésil (1578)
    Lévi-Strauss, Claude : La Pensée sauvage (1962)
    Locke, John : Two Treatises of Government (1689)
    Lowie, Robert H. : Primitive Society (1920)
    Marx, Karl : Das Kapital (1867)
    Mill, John Stuart : Utilitarianism (1863)
    Pepys, Samuel : Diary of Samuel Pepys, (1825)
    Rousseau, J.J. : Du contrat social (1762)
    Wasserman, Harvey : Harvey Wasserman's History of the United States (1972)

1 person likes this.
  8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Hofstadter, Richard, Anti-Intellectualism and American Life, 1963.
    ----- Paranoid Style in American Politics: Essay, 1964.

1 person likes this.
  9. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yeaaah. My entire point was that it's been nearly 15 years since Clinton's wage reform, so there should be a study out that examines the issue.

I was gently pointing you towards the UK study cited a little back. I'll put it in all caps next time.

Nope.

1. I always make a bee-line to bibliography.

2. I'm growing averse to the 17 paragraph call-and-response posts of late.

:rolleyes:

Uh, yeah. The only one here full of himself is in your mirror.

10. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    There are, and they are cited and evaluated extensively in Neumark's work, which you have chosen to ignore.

Also accounted for in Neumark's work, which you have chosen to ignore.

So why would you respond in kind?

You are confusing arrogance with having the facts on my side...which is par for the course for someone as biased as you.

11. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Wait. You want me to take the time to go to the library, read the book that you say is relevant so that you don't have to synthesize the arguments?

Fat chance. Don't be lazy and make a post that explicitly refutes the UK study and/or shows it to be an outlier.

In the "bibliography" post I critiqued, Neumark's work was not cited. Ball's in your court, bro.

Look. We could all sink each other you in a sea of bibliography if we wanted to. But in the spirit of dialogue, how 'bout we summarize findings and cite the source. M'kay?

:eek:

Have I written paragraph after paragraph after paragraph after paragraph after paragraph? Followed by a similar response, to which I respond in similar fashion.

No.

I might put them in paragraph form b/c it's easier to read, but my posts in this thread have been 1-2 paragraphs.

I'm just asking you to show your work and keep it up-to-date. Shouldn't be that difficult if indeed you do have facts on your side.

12. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most CEOs should be making about $7.75 an hour then ... Maybe $8.50, I'm feeling generous since they do have those Business Degrees to pay for after all.
    The folks at Massey Coal and you seem to believe in the exact same stuff. Doesn't surprise me much.
    but wow, you must be right. Start up the work farms. Re-open the company stores!!!
    We'll all be freed.

Every time the MW is planned to go up we always hear the same stuff about how it will cripple all the corporations, and oh my think of the small businesses, and some form of the last 3 pages of gobbledy-gook. And every single time, they're shown to be wrong and we seem to survive just fine and still make big profits and the capitalist world hasn't ended in a shower of sparks.

13. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    I have already done so, for something like 10 pages now. The minimum wage hurts youth and those with the lowest skill levels the most because it disemploys them in favor of those that are more skilled...thereby stunting their future income growth and entrenching poverty.

Neumark already did that, but you wouldn't know because you ignored it.
    http://info.worldbank.org/etools/docs/library/251018/day5w12663April3Se1.pdf
    Starting page 83, the critique of Stewart's work extends all the way to page 86.

Note Neumark's summary of the UK experience and existing academic study on the UK experience, on page 88.

I'm not sure why you think it would be. Neumark had barely gotten his PhD and had not performed any empirical studies by the time the talking point memo was published.

This is the third time I have provided the link to Neumark's paper, and I have already quoted his abstract twice in entirety. Holy shit...are you ********ing blind?

I do have facts on my side, I have shown my work, and no it wasn't difficult.

14. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    You must be listening to the wrong people. Wage rates can only have negative impacts on businesses if the higher wage is not accompanied by higher productivity...which most of the time it is.

For example, the small business I sold hired teenagers at the minimum wage. Although I sold it before the minimum wage was hiked, the business saw very little impact at all. Higher wages were paid, sure...but less workers were needed because they laid off the high schoolers and hired more productive college students. The overall impact on the business was negligible, but the impact on the high school students was extreme and negative.

15. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whether or not working is a good idea in high school and college completely and utterly depends on the individual and his circumstances. It's stupid to point to one's own example and extrapolate to everyone else.

16. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, one of us is - we just disagree on who :)
    I'm right, btw :)

17. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    I already stated my agreement with you that the minimum wage isn't much of a burden on business.

1 person likes this.
  18. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I know I already addressed this post but... It's really rich that you are accusing me of being full of myself in the same breath that you belittle a Nobel Prize economist and full professor at Princeton.

Oh the arrogance...

19. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    I'm not belittling him, although that has been done by multiple other prestigious economists many times over. Krugman himself has stated that his blog is an attempt to popularize economic concepts and has a lot of political opinion thrown in. It isn't an academic economics blog.

20. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    bump

What did those Tea Party bitches slip into their tea? Their hang-over has them eerily quiet in the face of ... what... a $900 billion rise of the deficit.

21. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But it was grassroots. It wasn't astroturf. It wasn't triggered and instigated by Fox News and paid for by Rove's people...

No, really. :rolleyes:

22. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Wait. When do the recently elected officials take office? Really, I'd like to know... :rolleyes:

23. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

1. There are some in office right now. Mum's the word.

2. Immediately upon winning the election, the majority of them began shifting their tone.

3. They can still enter into the national debate by making their voices heard, but bucking the GOP establishment and fighting for what they allegedly believe in.

24. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Nice try. The republicans will own this compromise with the president. There will likely be more republican votes for it than democrats and if there is a need for vote counting, it will probably be democrats looking to filibuster.

That's actually one of the nice things about bipartisanship. This needs to work and if it doesn't, there is no room for either group to hide.

25. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, they participated in essentially a national debate on these issues as candidates but there is some reason that during this interim between the election and taking office they can no longer do so?