All-Purpose TEA Party Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by dogface, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One teen's inability to take his date to Sonic after the movie is one family's ability to feed itself for a month.

This chart doesn't account for the broader economy and overall changes in unemployment market-wide.

Even if the minimum wage hike has adversely impacted teen employment (first time I've really even considered this part of the discussion, since they're rarely breadwinners and make up a tiny portion of the workforce), that's a very, very small cost compared to the overall good it does for millions of breadwinners.

But we disagree ideologically, so I'm going to leave this alone. I do respect your POV, and used to hold it myself.

2. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    There aren't millions...according to the BLS, there are only 826,000 minimum-wage-or-less workers over the age of 25. And if teen employment is a tiny portion of the workforce, then adult minimum wage workers are an even tinier proportion, seeing as how 53% of minimum wage workers are under the age of 23. 63% of minimum wage workers are currently enrolled in college (paying their way through, perhaps?) or high school.

If we are concerned about low wage adult workers, at least we could do like the UK and have different minimum wages for adults and teens. But if we were really concerned about poverty instead meaningless symbolism for oppression, we wouldn't disemploy anybody based on how much their labor is worth...but we would add to whatever they earn through transfer programs.

3. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we could mitigate the obvious incentive problems this could create, we have common ground on this idea :)

HouseHead and SaoSebastiao for Congress! Post-partisan, bitches!

4. CFnwside

CFnwside Member+

Jan 25, 2001
    Humboldt Park
    Teens should be in school, not working. Minimum wage or not. Just as a side note.

1 person likes this.
  5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the race to the bottom, who wins? The first guy to hit bottom, or the last?
    I'm not calling you out for this, because you're not an econ professor and this isn't an econ site and you probably grabbed the first best stat you could find,and I appreciate that you back up your arguments with facts...but I just want to point out that we just moved from teenagers to people 26 and older.

I also wonder how many of those under the minumum wage are actually restaurant workers who make, say, $2.15/hour in wages, but $10 an hour in tips.

6. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    They should be in school AND working. Just a side note.

Honestly I would be happy with that provision, but happier with the welfare based transfers. To me, a minimum wage is just a way for the government to pass off the responsibility of social welfare onto employers.

I use the stats that are available because it would be less honest to make up my own. I wish I could find true "teen" statistics, but I couldn't. That being said, the stats as they are are still useful because they show how the people that the minimum wage is intended to benefit (people with responsibilities to feed families) are just a tiny sliver of the people who actually earn it.

7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Worked for me. Not that I had much of an option.

8. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is barely an attempt, please try again. I asked for two examples where the majority of Libertarians want to take power away from government but give that power to corporations.

Especially as the Blue Authoritarian Party that you support is doing its best to give government more power and at the same time give power to corporations.

9. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neither did I. I wanted shit. My parents weren't buying. Not that they couldn't. Hell, they made more when I was a kid than my wife and I make now. But they weren't buying, period.

10. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    are there no workhouses?

as someone who worked his way through both prep school and college, i disagree. oh, in practice i survived, but in theory it's a rum way to run a socioeconomicoeducational system.

to me it's government taking the responsability of forcing employers to pay a living wage, the way health and safety regulations are government taking the responsabilty of forcing employers not to kill their workers on the job. take a look at conditions when or where none of the above were/are in force. you see employers taking full responsability for maximizing profit on the backs of all and sundry.

very well put. the trickle down theory of reaganomics was hogwash (in any case the holes left by the rich to let anything trickle down were very small) but the trickle UP of hard times when the plight of the poor is made worse is very real.

just an aside, when i was a waiter i was actually giving money TO my employer every two weeks: contributions on my minimum wage and 7% of sales were above what they were paying me.

11. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'm not the one who has to dip down to teen unemployment to build a case against a minimum wage as a safety net against practices that are endemic to any economy that doesn't have it.

Your attempt to separate employers from the market for wages is also facile and/or disingenuous. It's the usual fantasy of endless elasticity in micro-economic environments. Cute, but crap.

But the main point you miss is that this isn't about economic theory, it's about social morality.

12. CFnwside

CFnwside Member+

Jan 25, 2001
    Humboldt Park
    No, they should be in school, not working. The fact that most not born with a silver spoon do have to work, is simply a reflection of a poorly structured society. There should be a time to focus on studies before a lifetime of dedicating one's self to earning money. And in case you're thinking of responding with an anecdote of how you put yourself through college sleeping on the pizza parlor floor, I've pretty much always worked since I was twelve. So what? Don't make it right.

13. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Same here

And I think most pizzerias around north Jersey don't give 17 yr. old new drivers keys to the delivery trucks any more. But they did to us, and we had a blast

14. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Au contraire. It makes you appreciate dead-end work and get better grades

1 person likes this.
  15. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Me too. I wanted a car. I figured out at an early age getting laid on a Metro bus was damn near impossible.

16. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But not entirely impossible. :D

17. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    True dat :)

18. bobbybhoy1

bobbybhoy1 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    in a State of Grace
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    ya but you get the better ones with the car.. pluse the ones on the subway will stab you or there pimps will if you dont pay up ..hold on did I give too much away there:(

19. CFnwside

CFnwside Member+

Jan 25, 2001
    Humboldt Park
    Possibly. That's debatable. I think there is a distinction though, between selectively taking on a part-time job, to have some extra money to bum around Europe in the summer,and having to work in order to be able to be in school in the first place, which in itself is a full-time job. It's just another peace of a class-divided society puzzle.

20. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Poorly structured society?

Cry me a river! So some of my classmates got to start partying right after lunch and I had to wait until I finished my after-dinner part time job before I could get drunk. I still got more out of my education than most of those guys, probably because I appreciated it more.

Life doesn't promise you a Disneyland, or an education. If you want a shot at a better life, you have to take it any way you can.

21. CFnwside

CFnwside Member+

Jan 25, 2001
    Humboldt Park
    Of course you do! I'm a huge proponent of making the best of your circumstances. I despise complacency. I also despise conformism. Just because we live in a society where the well-to do-get to attend Yale on the merit of their fathers having attended it, and others have to put themselves through college working a night job, doesn't make it some pre-ordained, natural state of things. You can "take it any way you can" and at the same time recognize that the state of things could be improved. If we had always just "taken it", we'd still be sitting around caves, scratching our hairy asses.

22. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i appreciate both points but in the end must side with the side.

my first run at university was so intellectually disappointing, and the dead-end work so eminently sufficient for bumming around europe, partying hearty etc. etc. that i just turned on, tuned in and dropped out. it was only after the big 3-0 that i decided to sod all that for a lark and be a mensch. the awakening was rude from rudetown.

for all that i have no one to blame but myself. but those who find themselves in my self-made predicament from square one deserve a kindler gentler america. even if their dad doesn't build a new library for yale.

23. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    But it isn't the employer's responsibility at all. It is a personal and societal responsibility. The only responsibility the employer has is to provide a wage that is commensurate with the labor provided which can mutually be agreed upon.

You see, health and safety regulations are there to prevent torts. There is no tort involved in a mutual agreement.

24. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    So what you are saying is that I don't have to pay my lead programmer a 6 digit salary, simply because I'm an employer and I control the cards? That I can offer him a mere $8/hr and he would still take it, albeit begrudgingly?

I can't think of anything more moral than not demanding more than your labor is worth.

25. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    I can't believe I have actually found something you wrote that I can agree with 100%.