All Muslim team

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by astabooty, Jan 25, 2005.

1. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    Yes it is.

I would know, and stfu when grown ups talk.

2. hawk_claw

hawk_claw New Member

Aug 14, 2003
    Wisconsin
    this is a sweet thread considering i am muslim...and i didnt have any idea these guys are muslims...thanks a lot....adn i read that zidane's name was really..Zainuddin Zidaan......which sounds like a muslim name to me

3. el_urchinio

el_urchinio Member

Jun 6, 2002
    So, you can be a muslim against your will? Is this like the Mor(m)ons baptizing the dead?

4. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    if you're born a muslim, you are a muslim. ofcourse you can choose not to follow it.

5. el_urchinio

el_urchinio Member

Jun 6, 2002
    According to you, does that mean one cannot convert to Islam, as being born Jewish, Hindu or Christian would make one Jewish, Hindu or Christian for life?

6. dsk_oz

dsk_oz Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    I know Jewishness (is that a word? :D ) is "transmitted" through the mother .. I assume that Muslimness is transmitted through the father?

7. fatdanny99

fatdanny99 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    US
    Can someone tell me all (popular) the Muslim players their are?

8. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    judaism.

9. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Zidane's parents are from Algeria. He is a Berber in origin. Check this interesting article from Observeron Zidane.

"Smaïl did not watch the 1998 World Cup final - he was looking after Zidane's son Luca - but he declared himself moderately pleased with the goals that his 'Yazid' had scored. 'It was a great thing for us all,' says Zidane, recalling the patriotic joy that enveloped France after the match. 'We were a family who had come from nothing and now we had respect from French people of all sorts.' This was when Zidane mania reached its height in France, when posters, graffiti and rap songs declared 'Zizou Président' and the Algerian flag flew alongside the French tricolour on the Champs-Elysées.

The euphoria did not last long. Within days of the famous victory, Jean-Marie Le Pen, leader of the Front National, was growling in the press about the racial origins of the France team, singling out Zidane for faint praise as 'a son of French Algeria'. His comment was carefully loaded. The term 'French Algeria' is never neutral in the French media: it returns one inevitably to the colonial state that only ended in 1962 after a long and brutal war. The implication was that as 'a son of French Algeria', Zidane was either a colonial lackey or a traitor to the country of his father's birth.

Then one of Le Pen's henchmen declared that if Zidane was acceptable to the French it was only because his father had been a harki . This Arabic word describes the Algerians who fought for the French during the Algerian war and who were massacred or fled to France in its aftermath. Harkis were the forgotten victims of the colonial war, hated by their own people who saw them as collaborators and despised by the French, who remember them with shame. The insult was calculated to cause damage and hurt, especially in the suburbs such as La Castellane.

One of the most immediate conse quences of this libel was that the friendly match between France and Algeria at the Stade de France in October 2001 proved to be one of the most harrowing moments of Zidane's career. The event was billed as an historic moment of reconciliation between two nations who could not quite live without each other and who had, since Algerian independence, never met on a football field.

The reality was grotesque. In the lead-up to the match Zidane received death threats. During the game, he was booed and taunted and, he says now, was 'disconcerted' by the posters that read 'Zidane-Harki'. The match was abandoned after a pitch invasion in the second half, with young French Arabs chanting in favour of bin Laden and against the French state. The multicultural adventure launched by the French team of 1998 was in disarray. The far right was on the move.

Zidane's response was to this fiasco was finally to break his public silence about his father's identity. 'I say this once for all time: my father is not a harki ,' he announced to the press. 'My father is an Algerian, proud of who he is and I am proud that my father is Algerian. The only important thing I have to say is that my father never fought against his country.'

Since this statement, Zidane has become more comfortable and less defensive about his origins, feeling free to lend his support, in the company of Gérard Depardieu, to a recent campaign against the Front National, or becoming the public face of young immigrant France, the so-called génération Zidane ."

10. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Zeen ad-deen yezeed zidane, per wikipedia.

11. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    judaism you cannot convert, islam you can. it's similar to judaism because if your mother is jewish, you are jewish no matter what. but like i said you can deny it and choose not to follow but that's the reality.

i

12. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Judaism is both a religion and an ethnicity. Islam is a religion but NOT an ethnicity.

13. dsk_oz

dsk_oz Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    indeed ..

14. el_urchinio

el_urchinio Member

Jun 6, 2002
    One can indeed convert to Judaism, as the example of Sammy Davis Jr. and many other can prove. You can also convert away from Judaism, like the british PM Benjamin Disraeli. He didn't stop being Jewish in an ethnic sense, but he stopped being Jewish in the religious sense.

15. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that is what he meant.

I think he meant if you are born Jewish, you cannot truly convert away from it.

I understand that because Judaism is an ethnicity, something unchanging.

16. el_urchinio

el_urchinio Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Exactly, it is both an ethnicity and a religion, meaning you could be Jewish ethnically, but not religiously, like Karl Marx or the abovementioned Disraeli, or you can be Jewish religiously, but not ethnically, like Sammy Davis. Two different things.

17. ARAFAT LIVES

ARAFAT LIVES Red Card

Nov 14, 2004
    among jews (Israel)
    Judaism is not an ethnicity neither, jews just make it look like it is!

18. fatdanny99

fatdanny99 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    US
    I have an off-topic question. What does yellow card and red card mean under a user's screename? And what are the red and green squares too?

19. hawk_claw

hawk_claw New Member

Aug 14, 2003
    Wisconsin
    pardon me for my lack of info...::)

20. ilferrari

ilferrari New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    Please, you are not at your local mosque, you are in an international community now. Islam is a religion, not an ethnicity.

21. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about 'let there be no compulsion in religion?' And I thought you became a Muslim when you made the profession of faith--'there is no God but God, and the name of his prophet is Muhammed'--I'm paraphrasing, and I can't remember the proper name for it. Did I miss something?

22. fatdanny99

fatdanny99 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    US
    It's actually "Their is no God but Allah and Muhammed is his messanger."

23. hungaryforever

hungaryforever New Member

Apr 3, 2004
    Hungary/Szarvas
    Hey men!
    You missed some central-asians from the moslem team!
    I would add Maxim Shatskikh and Mirjalol Qosimov! They are both Uzbeks.
    And watch out Vladimir Bayramov and Begenchmurat Quliev fromTurkmenistan!
    They are big talents!

24. Postman is a Prophet

Aug 28, 2004
    yeah, the whole religion thing took this topic off-course...

I;'m not sure if he is good enough, but I believe El-Hadj Diouf is muslim (at least his name gives that impression).

25. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    im not sure if hes muslim, and im not sure if Mustapha Al Mohammed is either