All About Yanks Abroad Running Thread 2013/14

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #1 Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
    Seems to me that even though I don't think it makes sense to do a catchall list thread anymore -- I don't think so, anyway -- that there's a need for an in-season sticky that covers odds and ends.

During transfer breaks the excellent transfer news thread still makes loads of sense, but there seems to be some justification for a thread where people can post...

- questions of all kinds not answered in current threads
    - noting training and other news for very young (pre-YNT-aged players, say)
    - new information about non-current YAs (players who say they might be interested in playing abroad someday, players who have returned home but who we did not previously know about, historical players abroad, etc.)
    - logging training stints and tryouts that didn't turn into anything
    - frequent inquiries -- is this guy a Yank? Whatever happened to... (and so on)
    - just about anything else

If people agree, let's give it a shot.

2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    As an example, here's a recent story about a bunch of kids who trained (or have been offered the opportunity to train) at Manchester City. Some of them, like John Hilton, have already been with YNTs, but others are not as well-known. It doesn't appear that any of them are poised to join the academy there, but who knows.

http://www.soccernation.com/manches...-top-elite-youth-to-train-in-england-cms-4711

One of the kids was 7, so it would seem to make sense not to say too much at this time besides congrats and best of luck to him.

3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    @Friedel'sAccent, does it perhaps make sense to sticky this and maybe take down last season's "All About..." thread? Thanks, either way.

5. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure does, DMN. You got it.

6. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where are the all running to? I don't get it . . .

7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    soccersubjectively repped this.
  9. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really great Q&A^^^

10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Here's an August article about an NYRB academy player named Dantae Greer, who recently trained with Norwich City and has been elsewhere in Europe. The article doesn't discuss his future in a concrete fashion, so I thought it might make more sense to log here than start a thread -- can always circle back.

For Dantae Greer, that situation dawned on him recently when he made his way to England for a training opportunity with Norwich City.

“The trip was definitely one of the best times in my life,” Greer told TopDrawerSoccer.com. “It was new for me to train twice a day. Even though I’ve met a lot of professional players in the past, it was amazing to be in the same room with the first team, sitting next to [captain Sebastien] Bassong, and eating our meals together. It’s funny how I used to watch him on TV playing with clubs like Tottenham and Norwich, and now I’m sitting next to him eating. This experience showed me how close I really am to becoming a professional footballer.”

The chance for Greer to train with the English Premier League club came through a bit of luck.

“My father created a highlight reel for me, and then we posted it on YouTube, and sent the link out to everyone,” Greer said. “We sent it to one of my old coaches who lives in England who at the time happened to be with Russell Martin, the right back for Norwich City. He saw my highlight reel and enjoyed it very much, so he referred me to the club.”

Greer, a highly regarded prospect of the New York Red Bulls Academy, is no novice to the European experience. The striker has been making the trek across the Atlantic since he was as young as 10.

“I’ve been fortunate to be able to train at a few clubs in different parts of the world,” Greer said. “My first international experience was when I was 10 going to train with Real Madrid. My next trip was to Austria, training with the division team SV Salzburg. After that trip, I made my rounds to train with the top team in Israel, Maccabi Tel Aviv.”
    http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club...academy-forward-trains-with-epl-club_aid29406

Highlight reel...

11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    On Twitter and Facebook, a club called Indiana FC says two of its players have (or appear to have) signed overseas: Chris Bugay (with Chalkida FC in Greece) and Rudy Baldetti (with Deportivo Mixco in Guatemala). Checking...

https://twitter.com/FCIndiana

12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #14 Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
    Not sure where Daniel Navarro is now, but (from 2012):

"I am born in Hyannis, Massechusetts," he said in a strong Portuguess accent, prompting more ribbing from players.

At the age of two, Navarro's Brazilian-born parents moved the family back to their native Curitiba, Brazil, where he began his professional career.​

http://www.coloradorapids.com/news/2012/01/brazilian-american-after-his-dream-play-us

He was pretty quickly released by the Rapids and I have no idea where he went next.

14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Posting here because he is so young:

Ayden Nocus, only 11 years old, has opportunities at some of the top academies in Netherlands as well.

Nocus is an attacking midfielder who is equally as adept with both his left and right foot. He plays for Lexington F.C., the top ranked team in Kentucky for his age group. The youngster also has experience with the Region II Olympic Development Program.

Nocus’ first stop in Netherlands will be with Feyenoord with possible training stints at Vitesse and FC Twente as well.
    http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-soccer-articles/kentucky-youths-head-to-netherlands_aid30735

15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Snip:

Legacy United Soccer Club’s Mitchell Vasquez is proof that this is not always the case. Coming from a small premier club that was formed just three years ago, Mitchell recently took part in the successful Pro-I.D. Soccer Camp in San Diego, California. Following the camp the U12 left winger received the thrill of a lifetime when he was discovered he could attend a special training program at Manchester City Academy.​

http://www.soccernation.com/mitchel...er-city-academy-cms-4715#sthash.459oJIj9.dpuf

16. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe doesn't deserve a full thread, but Bryan Chud, who played in Northern Ireland's top division for Loughgall in 2004-05, is apparently still active and scoring ridiculous numbers of goals at a much lower level. As of mid-February 2013, he had scored 32 goals on the season for Ambassadors FC, which appears to be in Northern Ireland's 6th tier. According to the story, he's been with the club for the past seven years, which would mean since 2006.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/CHUD'S+IN+THE+GOAL+ROUTINE.-a0318402102

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  17. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Here's an old LAT article (from 1987, before some of you were EVEN BORN) about John Kerr Jr.'s times in England:

"It's a tremendous thrill, a lifelong dream," Kerr, a 24-year-old striker, said. "At the moment it's all a bit new and I'm still settling in. It's a big jump for me but I'm enjoying it."

When he signed with Portsmouth, a team that has just returned to Division One after 26 years in the lower echelons, Kerr was told he would have to bide his time for a place in the senior squad.

But injuries and suspensions forced Portsmouth to plunge its new American recruit straight into the competitive cauldron of the strong-tackling English game, and Kerr started the first two matches of the season last month.
    http://articles.latimes.com/1987-09-15/sports/sp-8073_1_american-soccer

19. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
  20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Nah. It was too much work, and nobody was reading them.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  21. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    *Raises hand* :p

Ok gotcha. Well if its too much work don't worry. Thanks for doing it when you did!

22. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Thanks. Blame BigSoccer for making thread view statistics visible. ;)

23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Here's a story on a Long Island teen named Kaan Ilgin. He's a Turkish native but his parents are here; came here in eighth grade and I don't know his citizenship or residency status. He was cut by Fenerbahce, and then:

He said he then took the advice of his grandmother, who lives in Turkey, and tried his luck with a different team, Genlerbirligi in Ankara, the capital of Turkey.

Ilgin said he turned out to be good enough for Genlerbirligi's youth team. "When that worked out and I at least made that team," said Ilgin, "I thought, 'Yeah, maybe I shouldn't stop playing soccer.' "

Ilgin did not join the professional team, however, because he said he would have had to live with his parents and they did not want to move back to Turkey.​

http://www.newsday.com/sports/high-...ad-kaan-ilgin-didn-t-stay-in-turkey-1.6325999

Separately:

Ilgin would like to try out again after high school, although he has Plans B and C in place.

"If Turkey doesn't work out, I'll probably come here [back home], go to college and then go to MLS here and try to build up from there."
    http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/youth/youth2.php?article_id=35377