Algarve Cup 2014

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by jonny63, Nov 21, 2013.

1. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Algarve Cup 2014

Group B : Sweden , Denmark ,USA and Japan

5. March Sweden - Denmark , USA - Japan

7. March Sweden - USA , Denmark- Japan

10. March Sweden - Japan , USA - Japan

http://svenskfotboll.se/landslag/landskamper/

blissett repped this.
  2. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    The other groups are believed to be:

GROUP A: Germany, Norway, Iceland, China
    GROUP C: Portugal, Russia, Austria, Northern Ireland

3. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Does anyone know how they determine the groups? Looks to me like they just separate Germany and the US and then have a free draw for the other 6 teams.

4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Sounds about right to me. I mean, it's a "friendly" tournament, no "need" for balancing things out.
    Still, I must admit that have USA, Sweden, AND Japan in the same group is a bit nuts. Couldn't one of them have gone to Germnay's group instead? One great time will be playing for fifth place.

Dr. Gamera repped this.
  5. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Last year they finished like this
    1 US
    2 Germany
    3 Norway
    3 Sweden
    5 Japan
    6 China
    7 Denmark
    8 Mexico
    9 Iceland

So as Denmark is in the wrong group to have seeded everyone from last years results, Id guess they seeded the top four and drew the other four.

6. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    according to current fifa world rankings, this is what the 2 major groups look like this;

Group A: #2, #10, #15, #16

Group B: #1, #3, #5, #12

due through their strong bond, Pia & Sermani might of asked to have their teams play together in the same group

7. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    :ROFLMAO:

8. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I agree that it probably depends on last year's placement, but I also agree that Group B is plain crazy... o_O

(Although, according to the results of Euro 2013, one could argue that, despite FIFA rankings, Norway is stronger than Sweden... But we all know that it mostly depended on the fact that Sweden had to meet Germany in SF and Norway had not...)

Anyway, I guess Japan will have to raise the level of its play from 2013, if they want to come out of this group-of-death with a result up to their World Champion status... Hopefully Kinga and Sameshima will be back in full form for Algarve. And I hope Sawa also will be ok.

The problem is that Algarve it's before the start of Nadeshiko League, so normally the players aren't at their best state of fitness... I hope JFA will plan at least a pair of friendly matches before Algarve, so the girls can train some more...

9. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    They have to balance the groups for the fans. No one wants an angry mob of 250 people storming the press box :)

10. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    blissett repped this.
  11. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Morgan-boot1.jpg
    one potential problem for the US, unofficial mvp of last year's tourney, left ankle is not healing(as this most recent pic is indicating)

12. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    how recent? what does the date stamp say?

she was called in to the december camp - i assume she was healthy. injured players were left off the roster. still recovering players were specifically named, and "evaluated" rather than taking part in regular training. alex was not mentioned. so, again, i assume she was healthy.

maybe she got reinjured in camp. did they report anything about that?

13. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    blissett repped this.
  14. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Jeff(the author) sometimes moves from right to left field without stepping down. But if I'm not mistaken, the photo was from Christmas(2-3 days ago). It's still her recurring injury that she suffered late in the NWSL season. I hope she does NOT play against Canada and give that ankle a rest

15. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
  16. Gromit06

Gromit06 Member+

Oct 22, 2012
    Nice
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Hey, I recognize the back wall with all its well-framed pics... So, she chose to spend Xmas at the Overlook Hotel... I worry for more than her ankle, now...................

[​IMG]

17. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    They should just rename this tournament the "USA Cup". :p

18. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    doesn't make a difference given the other two forwards ankles work quite well.

19. lukephan

lukephan Member+

Oct 1, 2012
    IMO mvp of last year's tourney was KO. I would never have thought defender can dominate the game of soccer like she did. She was everywhere: back, middle, front, she tackled, she slided, she dribbled, she ran, she shot. Quick, sharp and determined. It was fascinating to watch.

hotjam2 repped this.
  20. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I only watched the finale between the USA vs Germany. It was all Morgan in the first half

thankfully Wambach sat out this game & Morgan plays so much better when she pairs up with her best buddy & much quicker, Leroux, up front. The game also introduced Press as an AM. So the US did play their best offensive hand. Unfortunately same can't be said about Germany as Neid had mostly 2nd stringers on defense in that game.

The US had the 2-0 lead going into halftime. Decided to hold back, and as you mentioned played brilliant defense in the 2nd half. Neid tried to get her team to pass more and dominate the middle through her patented short passing game. The US however brought up their defensive line and Germany hoplessly got stuck playing at 'close quarters' as they couldn't break the off sides trap. Here's the full 2nd half as definitely one of the US best defensive efforts ever.

21. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Fifa has announced list of referees for Algarve. "New faces" with a possible shot for Canada WC's.

blissett repped this.
  22. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't seem to recognize "big names" of international women's refereeing, except maybe for Rumanian Cristina Dorcioman, that probably I heard in some WCL or Euro 2013 matches...

What's FIFA's policy with this kind of tournament? Do they see it as a way to give some high-level international experience to younger referees, giving them a chance to direct "big" National Teams without "burning" them right away in a "real", not-friendly, international tournament?

Or maybe it's just me (since I am not so well informed about women referees) and, unbeknownst to me, these are already established internationals?

23. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure about all of them, but the 2 CONCACAF referees are 2 of the newest to make it to the international grade. However, I think Neguel and Mitsi both at least did the '12 Olympics. I believe Albon and Dorcioman are also more established.
    I'm not sure about any FIFA policy but I'm sure the Algarve is mostly to give some great experience to referees as the games are really just friendlies. But really, who can understand the ways of FIFA? ;)

blissett repped this.
  24. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Yes both Albon and Dorcioman refereed in the Euros last year. And that was the first time I noticed UEFA or FIFA allowing two refs (not counting assisting) from the same country, in a major tournament.

25. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    That would seem to be the case.
    It's worth to notice the number of 31 different countries presented by refs, when London OL tournament had "only" 21 of those. It's getting more "global" in the refs world, perhaps it's because this merry bunch doing?
    It's all to the good either and we'll soon see the quality of their work.
    Personally I would rather see more and better cooperation between whole ref teams on the pitch than some new strong individuals emerging. However having a somone of Palmqvist, Hekkinen, Chenard or even Alvarado caliber wouldn't hurt either.

blissett repped this.