Alex Morgan's Injury

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by skybolt, Mar 11, 2014.

1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    More like Derrick Rose. Kobe came back... and got injured again. Actually, so did Rose...

2. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am just about ready to add a new poster to my "People You Ignore" list.

3. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too. He has clearly lost his mind.

4. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    #29 skybolt, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    Semblance17 and kernel_thai repped this.
  5. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Morgan tweeted yesterday that her ankle is feeling better and better with each passing week. She also mentioned that she's finally doing some ball work. The tweet was removed this morning though.

Hopefully these are encouraging signs and Morgan's full recovery is only several weeks away instead of several months.

6. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    Looks like WPS_Movement is trying to beat newsouth to the title of the nuttiest poster on this board ;)

BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  7. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Alex Morgan never did get hurt. You can't feel injury if you don't exist.
    She was an imagination the entire time.
    Just a folklore.

8. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I keep it interesting, have nothing else to say.

9. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Alex Morgan was Morgan Brian in disguise the whole time.

10. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or: The Tale o' the Talus

11. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    That's true.
    And I help "move" the sport of women's soccer in unique fashion. :laugh:

BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  12. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Another tweet from Morgan. It looks like she's back to doing full work-outs now. Hopefully she's on pace to be back by Memorials Day.

Alex Morgan ‏@alexmorgan13 9h
    Getting back into shape means my bed is my best friend. #musclesoreness #thisisnew

13. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    :p

14. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good news coming out of Portland regarding Morgan's injury:

skybolt repped this.
  15. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    From a recent article previewing the Portland Thorns match against Houston tomorrow:

"Injured U.S. women’s national team players Alex Morgan and Rachel Van Hollebeke are also making progress and could be healthy enough to play by the beginning of June as well."

Let's hope this is true, especially considering the France games are in mid June.

Semblance17 repped this.
  16. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Of course, the next update they'll be quoting her in stating her hopes of being healthy enough to play by the beginning of July. And then the following update with the hopes of early August, and so on.

"Good evening, and welcome to Fox Sports One's telecast between the U.S. Women's National team, and Poland. We're getting word that Alex Morgan will again be sitting out tonight's match, but the word is she hopes to be back by next April. In the mean time, this Poland team which won the UEFA U-17 tournament five years ago, is now all grown up and ready to give this Mewis led U.S. team a run for their money." - Gus Johnston (Sept. 3, 2018)

17. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Trust me, she'll be back soon enough, and after only 2 starts Newsouth will start complaining that the new coach and Nike are showing favoritism towards Morgan and stifling the progress of Leroux, Press and a couple of other forwards playing for the U-17 USWNT. :rolleyes:

18. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Not my post but it saves me from writing. o_O

You are correct on that. She is the most brilliantly marketed female athlete in the history of US sports. Kudos to her handlers in capitalizing on the strength of her looks, which is always the smart card to play for a good to great female athlete.

As I've said, her legend grows in her absence. That's when you know you've been marketed to the max.

19. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friendlies, schmendlies. Nothing is riding on the outcome of those games, so why rush back in order to play in them?

20. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Actually, some friendlies can hurt more than an Algarve tournament group match.
    Especially when it's against your rival.
    This most recent defeat (draw) tells us that this squad needs to find answers.
    Have they completely been slayed, or is it just a snack bite?
    Hopefully it's just a bite, and the new coach can come in and remove the teeth marks ....

21. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
  22. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    From a recent interview with Paul Riley:

Paul Riley has revealed he believes that the Thorns will nearly have their full roster by first match in June, it has been reported in multiple media outlets (here and here).
    Riley has said previously that he expected midfielder Vero Boquete and defender Stephanie Catley with the club by the start of June, but he also added a surprise: he expects Alex Morgan and Rachel Van Hollebeke to be available as well.

23. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    From another Equalizer article:

Her rehab has been very slow, but she’s gradually begun to train more and it now looks like she’ll be ready for the Thorns’ first game in June — their 10th overall — at the latest. She could suit up even sooner.

24. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Current Vegas odds on that are going for 10,000 to 1.
    I just put down $10,000 to win myself one dollar.
    Easy money.

25. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just called up U.S. Soccer, and the person I spoke with estimated that they'll make the roster announcement for the France friendlies about a [or *the*?] week before the June 14 game. I'm curious whether the USWNT might wait a little longer to bring Morgan back than the Thorns do. They could at least bring her in for the training camp but keep her on the bench [if need be] for the games to be cautious. But then again, this whole thing started with an injury she sustained during training...