Akron Zips 2013

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by fknbuflobo, Jan 1, 2013.

1. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sandon Mibut and Hararea repped this.
  2. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Najem was excellent. Saad played the right-back-in-name-only position that Akron has had for about a decade quite well. Gallego was very good, but I'm not sure about Souders as his partner. This team will concede goals up the middle. Seems like Quinn played a free role.

What surprised me was that there were 1826 there. Not bad for a weeknight game that didn't count for anything.

3. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bad exhibition loss at St. Louis 0-2.

Billikens showed their quality. The first goal was 9 minutes in off a restart. Zips played even with them for the most part, dominating statistically, for whatever that is worth. Horrible turn-over at 85 minutes resulted in second goal. Spectacularly awful; you would have to see it to believe it. Robbie Derschang was a second half substitution. Though the video was fuzzy, I think Derschang was the culprit because Eric Stevenson re-entered the game for Derschang at the 87th minute.

4. slufan13

slufan13 Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Was at the game.

Thought it was a pretty intense game for an exhibition. Both teams only played about 15 guys so it's not like they emptied the benches like some exhibition games. SLU is a top 10 team depending what poll you look at so not a bad loss for Akron. Hermann Trophy Watch List member Robert Kristo sat out the first half. Rumored that he was in a little trouble with the coaches. Hopefully sitting out for a half wakes him up. Another Hermann Trophy Watch List member, Anthony Manning is hurt and it doesn't look like he'll be playing any time soon for SLU. Big loss at center back.

Obviously you guys care more about your own team so here's some thoughts that I can remember. Thought Akron moved the ball pretty well and controlled a lot of the possession. They really struggled to put a shot on frame and although the SLU goalies made some solid saves, they weren't really tested too much. SLU has a lot of height all over the field and I thought it showed on Akron's corner kicks and set pieces. None of those really resulted in much of a threat. Not sure what you guys are used to but Akron had a lot of attacking coming from the outside. Neither team got a lot of chances in the center of the field. SLU's center back got beat a couple times but the pass was always just a little long and was taken by the SLU keeper. Maybe just looked like a little rust or the timing was still a little off. Also again not sure how you guys usually play, but I think Akron was whistled offsides 4 or 5 times in the 1st half.

fknbuflobo repped this.
  5. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slufan13 above is pretty much spot on.
    I missed the first 15 and thus the opening goal.
    Zips are missing a stud up top but created more than enough chances to equalize and even win it.
    Zips missing a holding MF too IMO. Too many long balls over the top that were not effective.
    SLU def did a decent enough job cutting out the passing channels on the ground IMO. Their keeper in 2nd half was superb @ reading the through ball. This kid came on @ HT and deserves to start IMO. Pena in the Zips net was decent but did not have a lot to do ( but I missed 1st goal). Looked to me that the Zips played with 3 @ the back for the full 90.

Bad giveaway in 87 minute by Zips back, can't recall whom, wasn't Gallego. This was against the run of play.

SLU basically laid back in 2nd half and tried to counter using their speedy wingers with balls over the top. Zips D for the most part handled these efficiently with good positioning, double marking and good supporting cover. Credit to Bills tho for efficiently capitalising on the Zips bad mistake late on #2.
    2,3 quick passes and boom it is in the net. SLU is improved over last year but in this game they had nowhere near the possession that Akron had.

Neutrals sitting around me that the final scoreline was not an accurate reflection of the actual events on the pitch, but that's futbol sometimes.

Early days yet and no cause for Zips fans to pull the fire alarms yet IMO.

fknbuflobo repped this.
  6. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bold statement there...o_O

7. SLUzer

SLUzer Member

Aug 22, 2010
    The SLU partisans would have said that as well.

fknbuflobo repped this.
  8. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can tell you of an opponent who is underrated. That would be VCU, who we have upcoming in the home opener. Zips had best be sharp or they will suffer defeat, and that card has already been played for the season. MAC teams cannot lose two and expect a high seeding come tourney time. As fate would have it, Friday's match will weigh heavily on many teams' RPI rating toward season’s end.

10. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "I watched the game online last night & the Zips must've controlled possession of the ball for literally 90% of the match. I read in the ABJ this morning that the Zips led in shots 28-3, shots on goal 7-2 and corner kicks 7-1.
    But to no avail. We don't seem to have a top-shelf striker."

Blue & Gold

soccersubjectively and Timon19 repped this.
  13. 24Seven

24Seven Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this what the European and Spanish "Footballers" mean by all that cruel sport blathering?

14. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was very fitting that Eric Stevenson won it in 2OT. He was one of the few Zips having a good tournament. Well done E!

Timon19 repped this.
  15. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Up and coming BGSU Falcons visit FA/CC for MAC tilt.

Despite the Falcons’ recent success and the Zips' underachieving struggles early on, I expect a beat down.

Time to take out our frustrations on somebody!

17. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you think of those new unforms?

18. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Not bad.

If they continue to squander chances and allow 3v2 counterattacks, they're going to get beat by several teams, starting Tuesday night.

Where was Saad, by the way?

19. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the new uniforms!

I cannot figure why Zips are so susceptiple to counter attack after set pieces.

Saad Abdul-Salaam has a sprained knee and will not be back for a few games yet.

20. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    That's no good. Louis looked like he may have done something similar Saturday. Trainer was doing stability tests on both knees and he was putting no weight on the right when they took him off.

21. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Injury during celebration of a goal! Embarassing! Possibly the dumbest thing I have ever personally witnessed at a Zips match!

22. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    That was him? Goddammit...I did see one of them start their slide late and got drilled (accidentally) by one of his own teammates coming to greet him. I mean bent-in-half drilled. I thought there was going to be a head injury out of that one.

23. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wil Trapp attended match vs. OSU. He showed up at our tailgate. I asked if he was old enough to drink. "Not for a few months yet," he said. "When the time comes, I am buying," I replied.

What is not to like about that kid? And last night was not the first time I have seen him for a Zips match. He and Barson attend frequently. Gotta like the pros returning to visit!

USvsIRELAND and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  24. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    That's one of the cool things about the homegrown program and a local power that recruits from it.

It creates a bond and keeps local players in college and then the pros in the same area. I imagine we'll see that with Seattle and University of Washington, UCLA-LA Galaxy, Portland and Oregon State/Portland, DCU with Maryland, Chicago/Northwestern etc...

Cool to see these kids coming back, especially for the big games. Shows they care. I remember when Wake won in 2007, the sidelines were filled with ex-Wake players, many who went on to MLS, who didn't win a national title but were as excited about the one being won there as if they had done it themselves. That's part of what a program is - building blocks laid by your predecessors contribute to your success today and they share in that success. It's cool - and good for college soccer - that Akron has that, too.

fknbuflobo repped this.
  25. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Yeah, he was standing right behind me in the second half with what looked to be a mix of other former players whose names I couldn't place and some of the usual "interested international students" who pop up.