Akron Zips 2012 Official Thread

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by AkronsBobert, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Vilhelm

Vilhelm Member

Sep 9, 2005
    The bogeyman's gonna get them.

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  3. Zipper123

Zipper123 New Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Hararea and Timon19 repped this.
  5. Vilhelm

Vilhelm Member

Sep 9, 2005
  6. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I'd say just about everyone has.

7. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    I agree. I suspect that the timing of Porter's departure was driven overwhelmingly by having received a good offer. If anything else came into play, it may have been seeing a younger coach (Ben Olsen) succeed in a job that he had turned down.

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I don't think so.

It's a big stain on his legacy and something he needs to overcome. If he succeeds at Portland, it will be viewed as a hiccup in an otherwise strong career. If he stumbles, it'll look like he's a good college coach who can't make it above the NCAA level.

But he clearly needs to show he can succeed at a level beyond college soccer to re-establish the standing he had before the Olympic debacle.

9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I disagree.

Seeing the success Mexico and Honduras had in London only underscores the great opportunity Porter had and squandered with poor roster and tactical choices.

SJTillIDie repped this.
  10. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I think the semi-crapshoot nature of the Olympic Tournament (and even other youth tournaments) writ large (i.e. Brazil never having a gold, African nations having disproportionate success when compared to their World Cup efforts, etc.) makes the whole endeavor overemphasized.

I also have trouble tying the success of two CONCACAF teams to the (phantom, unrealized) success of a substitute CONCACAF team. They succeeded on their own terms, not on the confederation's.

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

;)

Vilhelm repped this.
  12. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Got no Flash where I am right now, so I am impervious to your witty video.

13. DaniCrew

DaniCrew Member

Nov 15, 2000
    Tallmadge, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that Caleb will finish out the season with us, is it too early to speculate about his replacement?... i'll put in my vote for Brian Maisonneuve:

• Current assistant coach at Indiana under Todd Yeagley
    • Previous to IU, he was an assistant coach at Louisville (2 years)
    • Assistant coach with the U.S. U-17 National Team in Florida (4 years)
    • Assistant coach for the U.S. U-20 National Team in 2007 during CONCACAF qualifying
    • Coached the U-20s in the 2007 FIFA World Cup in Canada
    • Player: Nine seasons with the Columbus Crew
    • Player: 1998 World Cup team, appearing in all three matches
    • Player: 1996 U.S. Olympic team
    • Player: Indiana 1991-94 (All-America as a junior & senior... Hermann Trophy winner in 1994... 2-time Big Ten Player of the Year... 2 appearances at NCAA College Cup
    Kinda seems like another IU grad we know... no idea if he'd have any interest in a head coaching gig at Akron... but it seems like it might be a good fit...
    P.S. - Such a great grasp of the game as a player and one of the more talented players we've ever "produced"... unlucky with an ankle injury that ultimately ruined his career (the Crew really screwed up how they handled that one)... and one of the nicest, most humble people...

14. AkronsBobert

AkronsBobert Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Jared Embick will probably be the only college assistant on the list.

15. torwart

torwart Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Mark my words- Embick's got it. I like Maisonneuve a lot and think Negalha from UNC would also do a great job but I think it's a done deal. From an outsider's perspective I think he's in the right position, he's done enough, the administration is familiar and I don't see them going outside the family. Just my opinion though- I know...I know

16. 24Seven

24Seven Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caleb Porter. He's been mentioned for every other opening over the past 3 years. Why not this one? Envision this: Over the next couple of months he'll sit around thinking about how bad Ohio has it with the Indians, Browns, Bengals and all the other sports at Akron. It will weigh on him how devastated people were when Lebron left, and he'll not want that on his conscious. After all, Lebron only had a state to worry about, not an entire zips nation like Porter. He'll see how bad Portland really is and think to himself, why have only half of the Zips playing for me in Portland when I can have all of them playing for me in Akron. Hell, I'd probably have to actually play my 13th and 14th players to avoid running up the score against Portland. And, the day after he wins/losses (insert your own bias) the college cup, he'll announce he's staying. Of course, the extra 100 thou from Akron won't play a part in his decision.

JoeSoccerFan and stphnsn repped this.
  17. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The question for me is.. where is he better suited to help US soccer? in the college ranks or the MLS? HEck I'd rather see him in the national team program, maybe 15's or 17's... I think his 20's experiment didint work out so well as he relied on to many of his zips natrion players.. ....The MLS is no place for his coaching abilities in player development.. I hope he chooses to go younger.. not older...

18. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Anyone watching the Creighton game on netnebraska.org?

Akron looks to be doing the usual by possessing most of the time, though they've been more speculative from outside early on than they are usually at home. Quinn already hit the bar once on a looping volley from about 20 yards. Commentators barely noticed.

19. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Well, shit. Creighton gets forward and scores from a fortunate bounce off an initially blocked shot.

Definitely against the run of play.

20. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    ... only concern is he is kind of a laid back guy. Not sure how that would replace Porter who is a very intense guy.

21. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Creighton 1:0 Akron at halftime.

Akron had most of the possession and chances but for a 10-12 minute spell around when Creighton scored.

22. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Koroma with the equalizer in the 56'. Yedlin gets to the byline and drives a cross to the near post where Koroma is pretty much unmarked. Koroma finishes well with his head as he was about 3 yards outside the near post and about 1 yard off the line. Tough angle.

23. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    After most of the half being one-way traffic in favor of Akron, Creighton had about 3 dangerous chances in close succession. Good game overall.

9 minutes left, still 1:1.

24. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Good chances at either end. 3:10 left. Pretty entertaining.

25. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Wow. Creighton makes a mess of a defensive corner, but ultimately their keeper bails them out big time.