Akron Zips 2012 Official Thread

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by AkronsBobert, Apr 6, 2012.

1. AkronsBobert

AkronsBobert Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm not a fan of Jesse Marsch's coaching at all. Because Montreal has 3 former Zips on the roster, I've watched the majority of their games this year. I do not understand why Sinisa Ubiparipovic isn't getting much playing time because when he's in, he becomes a big part of their attack. Ubi scores 2 goals in one game, only to sit the bench next few games.

If Darren Mattocks isn't worth over a $1mill transfer fee yet, he will be soon.

2. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Ubi seems like the little engine that could in the attack and his work rate is fantastic, but somehow Marsch uses him sparingly. Marsch is a funny one to read because he is so mercurial. Where is a lot of pressure to put the DP's into play because I think MTL has a full slot already and they are costly. If some team needs a worker in the attack, I'd be putting in a trade for him.

3. footie101

footie101 Member

Feb 15, 2012
    California
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Polskaboy69

Polskaboy69 New Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Cleveland
    I saw the first practice today. Koroma will be a stud. Souders worked with the 2nd team. Looks like he will start on the bench. That new goalie Pina will be a stud. Too bad he has to wait a year.. Thomas Schmitt looked great. he scored a few goals on 7v 7's.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  5. PlayForKeeps

PlayForKeeps Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Middle America
    Akron does so many things at an incredible level - possess, win, produce pros, fill the stadium. Nothing is more impressive, though, than how they decide their lineup and new players' impact after only one practice.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  6. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heck - maybe it was decided BEFORE the first practice.... That first session was a confirmation session.. not a tryout...

7. AkronsBobert

AkronsBobert Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Stats updated, added the career stats. The Zips in the MLS have scored 5 more goals than the entire Chivas USA team, and 3 less than the Columbus Crew.
    [​IMG]

8. Gaucho95

Gaucho95 Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Oakland, Ca
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Steven Goff of the Washington Post tweeted this moments ago:

Getting word Timbers and Akron/U23 coach Caleb Porter like one another. Others from #mls/ussf/#nasl in mix. Decision timetable unclear

9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    That's one of the most poorly kept secrets in American soccer these days.

I'm not saying he's leaving after the season (or before), but there is definite interest.

10. AkronsBobert

AkronsBobert Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Your one post on Zipsnation shows up. Im not sure how the new members rules works on there because they were getting a lot of spam attacks. The mods might have to approve your first few posts before the new member tag goes away. Try a few more posts.

A great win tonight by the Zips. Thanks to all that came out, especially the new tailgaters.

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Awesome that you guys are getting tail-gaters for college soccer!

Oh, and nice win, too.

12. AkronsBobert

AkronsBobert Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    The rubber city brigade facebook page has a couple pics

13. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great win for the Zips. 4-0 over a Florida Gulf Coast squad that is probably gonna make the tournament. I watched the 2nd half from my comp (game streamed online). Who is that guy DeAndre Yedlin? He had an assist last night. Dude's fast. whoa!

Nice attendance too. The commentators said something like 4,440 for the home opener.

14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Is he still sporting Demi Moore's 80's bush on his head?

15. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    It appears to be growing by the minute, and is getting dangerously close to curling in over his eyes, Mohican sheepdog style.

16. tolstoy

tolstoy Member

Nov 17, 2007
  17. bisbee

bisbee Member

Sep 9, 2010
  18. SockerFan70

SockerFan70 Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago
    I'm sure any deal that would be done would start after the college season. I don't see any way Portland or Porter would make this decision, and allow it to pull him out of Akron right now. Portland seems content with letting the season play out with the interim coach in place (esp since it is the GM).

19. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Son of a bitch...

20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    It was a matter of when, not if. And this one has been a strong possibility since the moment John Spencer was canned.

Zips fans should be happy if they get him through the end of this college season.

I'm curious what the NCAA will think of this. If there a precedent in other sports for a coach accepting a pro job and staying on at his college job for a few months till he starts the pro gig?

21. AkronsBobert

AkronsBobert Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    It would make little sense to leave in the middle of the season with Portland having little to play for. He was with the team at practice today.

I'm bummed about this. If he was going to go pro, I wish it was with the Crew.

22. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    There was never an IF he was going to go pro.

23. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Oh, I know. Just sucks.

24. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad Crew is having a great run and Arrieta and Higuain just rescued them. Bobby W might have lost his job and Crew could have gotten into mix for Caleb. But Paulson's money vs. Hunt's - Crew would have lost out anyway. I don't see Caleb's system working on that bowling alley pitch. I hope he turns it down. If he doesn't then Crew might benefit by Trapp and other HGs willing to sign.