Akron Zips 2012 Official Thread

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by AkronsBobert, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Hard not to rep this. Around the country, I think a lot of people don't realize how good a tradition Akron has had for a very long time.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  2. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Established 1955.
    44 All-Americans, and counting.
    26 NCAA tournament appearances, and counting.

AkronsBobert repped this.
  3. AkronsBobert

AkronsBobert Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
  4. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Update to what?

5. AkronsBobert

AkronsBobert Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    is it not showing the picture? There's a picture with stats for Zips in the MLS

6. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok - Weighing In.... Good line up.. but what do you expect...

7. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Koroma as a 22 year old ...er I mean 18 year old ... is not near at the level where Mattocks was when he left.

24Seven repped this.
  8. Polskaboy69

Polskaboy69 New Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Cleveland
    Hey guys, I am a new zip season ticket holder. I tried twice posting on zip nation, but it won't post my posts. I have no idea why. I watched a lot of AFC Cleveland games this year where McAdams and Tommy Schmitt played this summer. Schmitty was by far the most talented player in the league. He scored a game winner in the 93rd minute last weekend in Erie to beat Detroit in a playoff game. It was a FK just outside the box on the right side. He bent it like Beckham. It was a thing of beauty. I think he will have 15-20 goals this year. He is going to have his break out year....Mc Adams did not play much because Ben Yabrow from NDC was there from day 1 and is very good as well. Too mad Murrow transferred to UC because he had a great season and is going to have a great year.

Schmitty and McAdams play this Sunday in Brecksville at 2 pm for the championship vs. Madison 56ers.

9. AkronsBobert

AkronsBobert Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    You forgot to mention Bryan Gallego, he's been a huge part of AFC Cleveland's defense. Grats on the season ticket purchase. Make sure you stop by lot 9 (behind football stadium's scoreboard) before the games and tailgate with us.

As for Zipsnation, I think it requires approval or a few hrs before you can post. They did this because of spammers.

10. Polskaboy69

Polskaboy69 New Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Cleveland
    Yes, I did forget to mention Gallego. I lost him in my train of thought when I was typing. He had a great season too. My seats are in section 204. There were 3 sets of 2 of the bleacher backs that were not renewed. I was able to get 204, midfield. I will definitely look for you guys.

What does everyone think the starting line up is going to look like on Aug 15?

11. bisbee

bisbee Member

Sep 9, 2010
    I certainly hope you are correct about Schmitt but I think it obviously depends on his PT. Don't know that he will be a starter which will make his scoring a ton of goals not very likely. Can't wait for Aug 24.

12. bisbee

bisbee Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Meves
    Yedlin/Barson/Souders/Serna
    Caldwell/Gallego/Trapp
    Quinn/Koroma/Derschang

13. AkronsBobert

AkronsBobert Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't believe Derschang will be a starter.

14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Not gonna win a lot of balls in the air with that group. While pretty skilled, that is a small group of defenders and mids.

Yedlin – 5-8
    Barson – 5-10
    Souders – 5-11
    Serna – 5-7

Caldwell – 5-8
    Gallego – 5-10
    Trapp – 5-8

They go against a team with some bigger forwards with some teammates who can put in good crosses and free kicks, they could be vulnerable.

15. AkronsBobert

AkronsBobert Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Which is why you'll see Quinn start

16. bisbee

bisbee Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Dani Alves and Carles Puyol might not agree:ROFLMAO:

17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  18. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    On paper, this has been a weakness of Akron's for a long time, but I don't think it's ever burned them in an important game. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that Porter's confidence in smaller, more skillful defenders is one of his biggest contributions to college soccer.

For this reason, what happened in Olympic qualifying is painfully ironic. Opara was big and hyper-athletic but couldn't defend a set piece against Canada to save his life. And Boyd was equally big and athletic, but he lost his man and gifted El Salvador a corner kick goal. What a way to go out.

Anyway, this all goes to show that the best way to prevent these goals is to keep the ball in the other team's half. And of course, that's what Akron does.

19. bisbee

bisbee Member

Sep 9, 2010
  20. bisbee

bisbee Member

Sep 9, 2010
    You may be right on this. Just realized that his offensive production last year was meager at best

21. AkronsBobert

AkronsBobert Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Quinn will get the start because of his role in set pieces. We lost our 6'0 Darren Mattocks

22. AkronsBobert

AkronsBobert Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
  23. 24Seven

24Seven Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I dunno, man, as unsightly as that thing on his head is, it's damn sure working for him right now.

I'd be reluctant to mess with a good thing. Hell, maybe opposing players are so horrified by his 'do that they stay far enough away from him to allow him the space to score. ;)

25. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Despite the fugly Drogba do, Montreal has to regret not drafting Mattocks first. You can't just pass on raw speed and finishing prowess, despite how long you have played. I think Jesse Marsch got too cute with drafting Wenger as a versatile player as opposed to finding a proven goal scorer. Goals are a premium, especially at the highest levels.