AJ versus EJ, a comparison of fit as a USMNT striker

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by TheHoustonHoyaFan, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah he is doing well. Wher eis he going to go out on loan too?

2. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He might not. JK suggested it but didn't require it. If he doesn't go on loan he will have to go to the camp.

Having said that he would be smart to go on loan but not sure what league would be the right fit.

3. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Honestly something like Bundesliga II would prob be best for EJ

4. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can his ego take that tho

5. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    He'd probably go to 2008 Derby if it meant playing in England

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He's still a solid striker. One of the best in MLS. I'd love to see him try his hand again in Europe. Maybe Ligue 1 or Turkey or a return to Greece. He wouldn't cost much considering his age.

But he really needs to get his head screwed on right. He's been an absolute CHAMP for the Sounders but he signed the contract. He may be worth 400 K and most certaintly worth 300 K. But no way is he worth DP status or paid more than a million. It sucks as he and DEMPSEY are real right and surely some awkwardness between the 2 of them.

7. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like the Sounders are going to do the smart thing for the GAM who led them in scoring the last 2 years in a row.

Hanauer also revealed that the club is likely to negotiate a new contract with Eddie Johnson instead of picking up his club option, which is at a lower salary than the U.S. Men’s National Team forward would like.
    http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/11/surprise-sounders-schmid.html

8. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Correction - he tanked in Europe, that's why he's back.

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He did okay in Greece. Perhaps had he avoided the Premier League, might have had more success. He was expected to contribute from day 1 from relegation fodder (Fulham) and never worked out.

10. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's definitely a possibility. If he had gone to a smaller euro league and honed his craft then made a move his career might have turned out better. However, he didn't and his game suffer for it. Will he try and go on loan, idk.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Maybe it was his Ego or trying to find the Big Move to regain his NT spot but shame the Fulham move failed. He just couldn't hack it, though Fulham were atrocious that entire season.
    If he went on loan, I wonder who would be interested. Championship? Turkey? France? Belgium?

12. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean AJ is already better than EJ at the technical, passing and striking side of the game. EJ will always be more physical and is a better header of the ball...

mmm seems obvious to me.

15. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bring both.:thumbsup:

16. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    That's probably what will happen, although I kind of want to see EJ on the right. He just seems to handle the ball better down that side. Plus, Jozy likes to lean left when he's up top, so GAM making direct, diagonal runs from the right would overload the central defense and allow Johansson (or Diskerud, if he is to play CAM instead) to drop into the midfield unchecked. OR Johansson/Diskerud's movement could draw out a centerback, leaving EJ with a foot race to the hole created in the defense, and Jozy isolated with a centerback 1v1.

Still, I'm a bit disappointed we don't have another creative/attacking midfielder to pinch in from the flank since Dempsey, Johnson, and Donovan are all at home and injured. Maybe we go with Mix out on the left, but I don't know if I like the defensive strain that might put on him ( although this is Scotland we're talking about here...).

And for God's sake, do NOT play Sacha out wide.

17. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it seems Wondo needs to be added to this nice table, and I updated the table for the other 2 guys.

Attribute
    Eddie 'GAM'Aron 'Bacon'Wondo
    PassingVery StrongStrongStrong
    Headed AttemptsVery StrongStrong
    Aerial DuelsStrongWeak
    DribblingStrongStrong
    FinishingStrongStrongStrong
    Offside AwarenessVery Weak
    DisciplineWeak
    Defensive ContributionWeakStrong
    Holding on to the ball Strong
    Style of Play
    Gets Fouled OftenYes
    Likes to do LayoffsYesYes
    Likes to shoot from distanceYes
    Likes to DribbleYes
    Plays the ball off the ground often
    Does not dive into TacklesYes
    Commits Fouls Often
    Likes to play long ballsYesYes
    Indirect set-piece threatYesYes

Two attributes that are not captured by the stats are speed (EJ) and technical abilities (AJ)

I thought it was interesting that this site states Wondo has no significant weaknesses.

18. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hahaha i still die laughing everytime i see this ish. Johnson isnt a very good passer. he has zero vision what so ever. he might keep a decent pass percentage but all passes are back and happen to kill the attack often. AJ is without a doubt the best passer of all of our strikers. johnson is also not a strong dribbler. He does a step over kicks the ball into space and chases it. thats not dribbling ability.

19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Holding up the ball and completing passes to maintain possession is a valuable activity especially for a center forward to perform. Key passes would be the metric commonly used for proficiency in attacking passes. Posters are getting crazy with these stats criticisms...

danielh and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Aron is the more marketable of the trio being the Icelandic Kevin Bacon after all

21. aquablue

aquablue Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Agudelo is far better than AJ and EJ

22. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    As flashy as Agudelo is, he has never shown the consistency in goal scoring that both AJ and EJ have.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  23. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great point and something EJ's new coach also agree with:

"I thought Eddie's movement was very good, I thought he continued to play well out there and do what we're asking of him,” said Ben Olsen. "I know the goal didn't come again – and you guys will be all over that – but maybe try to focus in on three points and how well he's playing, and holding the ball up and doing some of the stuff this team needs to pick up those points.”
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...e-johnson-despite-goalless-streak-hes-doing-h

24. Haole

Haole Member

Feb 14, 2005
    costa mesa, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been hoping to catch AJ last few weeks and finally saw him vs. Benfica. Disappointing. Benfica were far too quick to the ball and I don't remember AJ even getting a shot on goal. Oh well, he's a guy I like but, again showing his limits - he's not strong enough and certainly not quick.

25. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That matches what I saw. I've watched a couple DC games, and EJ's play has been pretty positive. He even seems to be taking more of a leadership role in the team. Hopefully, the goals will come.