AJ versus EJ, a comparison of fit as a USMNT striker

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by TheHoustonHoyaFan, Sep 23, 2013.

1. DCURFK

DCURFK Member

May 26, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Peeps need to stop slipping on jozy. He's in a shitty club situation but he's still the same solid player he's been this year. He finally starts living up to his potential and people just bag on him? I love AJ but jeez guys - Jozy is still a starter (he just scored against Jamaica and had some great runs and play against Panama).

Dump on Dempsey for not living up to things. Jozy still performs well on the international team and looks best at Sunderland (not a high bar). Chill.

2. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Like i said, i see a great first touch, close control, a positivey that is a willingness to turn and run at defenders that i don't see from Jozy or EJ. EJ will run at defenders but he's often running into blind alleys and his step overs have always been useless. Again, i also think AJ seems to be able to manufacture his own shots unlike the others.

As for Altidores 8 goals. Well i thought the Hat trick was a great finishing and a great game. That said, last game all he did was get a tap in after others did the work. I thought he was poor most of the game, partly cause i don't think Altidore and AJ are a good combo (but maybe they figure out how to play with time. That said they won't have tons of games together before the WC). But i'm not going to judge a player just on internationals. I'm judging his whole body of work including club form and I just think he's been playing poorly for months now. And he's on a crap team that's got his head down but even so i don't think he's nearly aggressive enough. I also look at the competition. And i'm talking about who's better as i write this today not last summer. And AJ is in form for club right now and had a quality finish for country. But i'll agree to disagree. Just my two cents. I'm sure plenty will disagree. I'm not trying to persuade anyone.

3. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I think realistically the best way for AJ to get a starting role is to take that CAM spot from Dempsey in the 4-2-3-1. I think if Dempsey continues his poor form (if) then no reason AJ can't take that from him assuming he keeps playing solid and Clint continues to regress. AJ I thought played very well there when he subbed in for Mix in Panama. No doubt though even if Clint returns back to his old self, that AJ will still see good time in Brazil.

4. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think AJ and JA can coexist. Just give them time to gel.

ckl26 repped this.
  5. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Very true. We're talking about a 22 yr old and a 23 yr old here too lol.

6. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    actually, AJ is not even 22 yet.

7. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree as well I think they can def work together. The first game against Jamaica the whole team looked uninspired

8. TheyCallMeBruce

TheyCallMeBruce Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Did you post this a year ago? That's the last time it was true. Johannsson will be 23 next month.

9. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mmm, I thought I read it in an article (last week) that he was going to turn 22 this month. Sorry if I'm propagating missed information.

10. DCURFK

DCURFK Member

May 26, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This.. but I don't think Clint will ever return. It's been a long long time since he's played at a consistently high level and he's not doing it on the MNT nor Seattle. I think Clint is #2 and his not being called up this last time through is proof of that... injury was no excuse - Donovan was called in with an injury. So there you have it... Dempsey is out until further notice (and I notice folks here have mostly stoppped including him as well.. a good thing I feel).

11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF?

12. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    ? He's getting goals served to him on a silver platter in Seattle and blowing it each and every time. In 500+ mins of play, in a league that is even more open than the Eredivisie, he hasn't registered a goal or assist.

13. TheyCallMeBruce

TheyCallMeBruce Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Well, then I guess the dynamite form that we saw just a few months ago is gone forever.

14. DCURFK

DCURFK Member

May 26, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That'd be like 6 months ago+ and it wasn't dynamite. Dunno what player you're watching... there hasn't been anything convincing about his play for awhile except maybe the Germany match and to be honest... that's really all that stood out for me this whole year.

15. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    That's a loooooong time ago and certainly warrants reason to worry. I mean the guy had a 1 v 1 with the FCD GK last week and completely botched it with a horrible first touch that led him too far. Dempsey is, and shouldn't be, a lock to start come Brazil. He's got a long way to go to be put in that category like Bradley.

16. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bolded statement is false...
    In 2012 the Eredivisie had an average of 3.15 goals per game, and in 2011 it was even bigger at 3.29.

MLS in 2012 had 2.64 goals per game, and in 2011 it was lower at 2.36.

The average goals per game did grow a bit for the MLS, but it is not at the level of the Eredivisie.

Also, I have watched some of Dempsey at Seattle, and he has missed some chances, but I haven't seen him miss many/if any sitters. And in fairness I have seen him hit the post a few times. The goals will come... lets juts hope Seattle makes the play-offs to give Dempsey more time to get inform.

17. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People sure love themselves some AJ on this board. I'm pulling for him, he has some quality skills. However I do think people are overrating him a bit. He's a good player, but in his 3 international games for us he had one pretty poor game, one decent game, and a very good game against panama, though his score came when panama was in complete shock and the back line didn't even put any pressure on him. He really hasn't done anything imo to make him a lock as a starter on the NT (more what other players haven't done, aka dempsey be in form), let alone start over Jozy. As for his production at AZ Alkmaar, well just recall who the last striker was that was tearing it up there.

The guy definitely has some potential, you can see it, but i think people are underrating JA. Outside of a pretty wicked curl on his shot, I don't see anything AJ does that Jozy Altidore can't do, and I think Altidore fits that CF role on this team much better than AJ does. I also think Jozy Altidore has a lot of chemistry with a lot of key leaders/players on the roster, while AJ is still developing that aspect of it. I think AJ would be best suited for the SS role behind Jozy, but honestly i'd almost prefer putting donovan there, having FJ and Zusi on the wings and just bringing johannson off the bench.

Just my opinion on it anyways, I bet I'm definitely in the minority on this though

18. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Alright here we go

"He's a good player, but in his 3 international games for us he had one pretty poor game, one decent game, and a very good game against panama, though his score came when panama was in complete shock and the back line didn't even put any pressure on him."
    I really dont think AJ played "poor" in any match. Versus Bosnia in limited action he had two fantastic runs/combinations that led to shots on goal. Versus Panama he was obviously very good. Both those two matches I'd say (and reflected in many reputable ranking services - Selzter, Goff, Sciaretta, etc. which gave him high marks) he did "good" in Bosnia and "very good" in Panama - the guy scored a golazo from +18 and was 19/21 passing.
    Versus Jamaica (the match I'm assuming you thought he played "poor" in) his performance was largely masked by the lackluster play of those around him. Jozy, his partner, had one of his worst outings ever, Landon looked like he didn't care (thus the sub at half), and Jones is rusty (as seeing how he was benched at Schalke) and injured - even JK said after the match Jones didn't look normal. Meanwhile, Bedoya was playing a VERY conservative role (which he does well) to help aid Evans since he got absolutely burned down in Kingston on that flank. Thus, AJ really only had Mix has his only outlet when he's trying to hold up the ball versus a Jamaica backline and 2 defenders that were playing very high up the pitch - basically for large parts of the 1st half it looked like Mix, AJ and Geoff were the only ones who had any energy whatsoever.

He really hasn't done anything imo to make him a lock as a starter on the NT (more what other players haven't done, aka dempsey be in form), let alone start over Jozy. As for his production at AZ Alkmaar, well just recall who the last striker was that was tearing it up there.
    I'm not sure what else you want the guy do to? Versus Panama and Bosnia he was flawless passing, created chances for himself, and hell he even scored a goal.
    Jozy flourished at AZ yes, but the reason why he's not finding success is not because of him, but because he's stuck at a lifeless club and the players around him....Jozy is Sunderland's least worry.

The guy definitely has some potential, you can see it, but i think people are underrating JA. Outside of a pretty wicked curl on his shot, I don't see anything AJ does that Jozy Altidore can't do,
    They are extremely extremely opposite types of players. Jozy doesn't have nearly the first or second touch of AJ. Jozy also doesn't have nearly the ability to create his own shot like AJ and Jozy also isn't as good of a 'distributor'. AJ also isn't afraid to let it fly from 25+ unlike Jozy even with his opposite foot (rewatch AJ's PSV match and you'll see he almost hit top-left from 30 with his left foot). With that said, Jozy does have some things - like his physical presence, that make him a different player, and an advantage in certain situations. For example, in Jozy's match vs. Arsenal where his goal should have been allowed, I'm not sure AJ out muscles Sagna like that.

I also think Jozy Altidore has a lot of chemistry with a lot of key leaders/players on the roster, while AJ is still developing that aspect of it. I think AJ would be best suited for the SS role behind Jozy, but honestly i'd almost prefer putting donovan there, having FJ and Zusi on the wings and just bringing johannson off the bench.
    I agree, I think he'd be best suited there at the SS role especially if Dempsey continues his poor run of form. Zusi, while attractive on the offensive end, he also lacks defensive cover on that right flank and the work rate of Donovan. Simply put, I think Donovan is best suited at RW for us. Just my two cents but I think AJ at S.S and LD at RW >>>>>> LD at SS and Zusi at RW

fdfd and truefan420 repped this.
  19. Sylvius

Sylvius Member

Jul 18, 2013
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At 22 years old AJ has already shown far more maturity than we've ever seen from EJ, especially in in light of EJ's recent behavior with Seattle (pretty infantile for a GAM). I realize that it's about the soccer in the end, and I'd still go with AJ over EJ on that alone. If only one of them can go to the WC, there is only one right choice as far as I'm concerned. There'll likely be room for both, though.

20. fdfd

fdfd Member

May 31, 2012
    Love ckl's knowledge and love for Bacon's game. I agree

ckl26 repped this.
  21. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jozy altidore had 31 goals in 41 games last year.
    AJ has 10 goals in 14 games this year.
    He is looking to match the same pace Jozy had last year. without adam maher.

22. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope EJ doesn't shoot himself in the foot with his immature behavior in Seattle. He's found a stable environment and is thriving in it. He does deserve more money but throwing a fit while your team is gearing up for the playoffs is stupid.

One bad career move now and he could find himself left off the WC roster.

23. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. He should let his agent handle it and he should go about his job. With AJ joining us up top and bedoya and zusi on the wing now isn't the time for him to have a tempered tantrum and potentially lose game time/form.

24. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Did something happen today?

25. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was held out of practice this week, and also tweeted some things about not feeling respected. That along with showing up his teammates by yelling "pay me" after scoring just doesn't seem like the professional thing to do.

ckl26 repped this.