AJ versus EJ, a comparison of fit as a USMNT striker

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by TheHoustonHoyaFan, Sep 23, 2013.

1. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a lot of debate and a big push by AJ proponents on BS and even some in the soccer media that AJ should get the nod over EJ as the starting striker replacing the injured Altidore in the last 2 WCQ matches v Costa Rica and Mexico. As we now know, much to the chagrin of Bacon fans, AJ got a token 1+ minute at the end of the CR loss while EJ got a 32 sub v CR and the start and 76 min v Mexico before leaving injured.

The question of why would the USMNT staff favor EJ over AJ seems an interesting one to discuss before camp for the next set of WCQs in a couple of weeks.

One way to begin this discussion is to set a baseline for rating the 2 players. I will start by using the who-scored statistical ranking system. It is a reasonable way of comparing attributes of the players that are captured by industry standard statistics. Of course it does not give the complete story, for that we also need to include subjective, human ratings of those attributes. That aspect will be provided I am sure later in this thread. ;)

AJ’s player summary: http://www.whoscored.com/Players/74639
    EJ’s player summary: http://www.whoscored.com/Players/21046
    AJ (6.9) and EJ (7.08) have almost identical overall ratings for their play this season in their respective leagues. As for scoring, AJ has 4Gs, 1A in 8 matches while EJ has 8Gs, 1A in 18 matches.

The following table combines the who scored summaries and shows two reasons why the staff at this point in time selects EJ over AJ as the lone striker; better hold up and superior aerial presence.

Attribute
    Eddie 'GAM'Aron 'Bacon'
    PassingVery Strong
    Headed AttemptsVery Strong
    Aerial DuelsStrongWeak
    DribblingStrongStrong
    FinishingStrong
    Offside AwarenessVery Weak
    DisciplineWeak
    Defensive ContributionWeak
    Style of Play
    Gets Fouled OftenYes
    Likes to do LayoffsYes
    Likes to shoot from distanceYes
    Likes to DribbleYes
    Plays the ball off the ground oftenYes
    Does not dive into TacklesYesYes
    Commits Fouls OftenYes

Two attributes that are not captured by the stats are speed (EJ) and technical abilities (AJ).

IndividualEleven repped this.
  2. Luis Suarez

Luis Suarez Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will say that I have begun to watch a lot more of Bacon's matches recently, and the thing that impresses me the most is his control of the ball, kid has an immaculate touch and the ball stays practically glued to his feet. He also has a very high soccer IQ, able to work his way into space and make great timely runs. I'm not saying he should be penciled in as a starter just yet, but who knows how high this kid's ceiling is? He's definitely an exciting player and I can easily see why the Iceland FA was so desperate to keep this kid in their ranks.

TabLalas repped this.
  3. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    It could also be as simple as EJ has been there longer and knows what the staff wants. Or maybe he has a better chemistry with the rest of the team at the moment. I've liked what little I've seen of AJ, but I didn't expect him to start these qualifiers with so little time with the team to date.

Mr Martin repped this.
  4. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Comparison is a little misleading,
    First, EJ is FS replacement to Jozy while AJ is a true SS who I think is the perfect partner to Jozy.

As to the table of attributes, here is my differences....

AJ is way better passer than EJ
    AJ is a better dibbler than EJ
    AJ is a better finisher than EJ
    AJ is better at offside awareness than EJ
    AJ is better at defensive contribution than EJ

EJ is bigger and faster, AJ is smarter and quicker.

elvinjones and soccersubjectively repped this.
  5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    AJ plays as center forward in a 433. He's got 2 non pk goals and an assist in 8 league games in a very free scoring league.

AJ has exquisite dribbling skills and good awareness. His release looks a bit slow and he doesn't have the explosiveness/power of some of the other attackers in the pool.

AJ will provide comp for the 3rd striker spot rather than the 2nd barring injury. Pay me, like him or not, has been too productive to not be #2. I guess he's cute or whatever or looks Kevin Bacon circa '85 or whatever, but there's nothing in AJ's footballing oeuvre at this point to suggest he's one of the top 2 strikers in the pool.

6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    If one wants to think of AJ as a support striker type then he's competing against Dempsey and Donovan. Even Diskerud has been very productive playing slightly further back in the 10 spot. AJ ain't jumpin over those guys.

7. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    even AJ himself says that his best position would be as a SS to partner with JA.

I'll let the chips fall where they may.

8. Goldtone

Goldtone Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    California
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Start AJ on Oct 11 and see what he can do

9. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München

And I totally agree with this. I'm really surprised with AJ's ability to hold up play and then do these small touches/flick ons to his wingers running down the flanks for AZ. His technical ability around the box just makes EJ's look silly. EJ does have the aerial compnent that AJ lacks but if we're playing a quality side in the WC I'd LOVE to see Jozy and AJ up top in the 4-4-2 together...that could be scary good especially heading forward as both are very young.

10. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look I'm not going to get into who's the better player and why but right now it's hard to argue against EJ's current position on the depth chart. He's currently the best player in our pool at one very useful thing - ability to score goals in the air, especially off set pieces. Having a guy that can do that consistently, as EJ has been doing for the past few weeks, is a game changer.

He might also be the best guy in our pool at winning aerial duels and delivering good flick on headers off long balls.

11. Luis Suarez

Luis Suarez Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally agree. I've said before that I think Altidore's and Bacon's games would compliment each other's perfectly. I can't wait to see them starting up top together, that pairing could be lethal.

12. Moejangles

Moejangles Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I agree, the two of them together up top, JA and AJ could be lethal. Pair Jozys ability to hold the ball up with AJ ability to dribble through seemingly impossible places.

Luis Suarez repped this.
  13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True that.

Maybe it should be EJ and AJ up front ;)

In a 443 maybe AJ will become the better option.

442 Still Altidore and EJ for now IMO.

14. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't put it better than your last sentence. When we target JA in the air on long balls out of the back, he wins a low percentage of them, and when he does, I'm pleasantly suprised. When we target EJ with those long balls, I expect him to win it, and am not at all suprised when the result of the flick on is a dangerous opportunity for his partner. That is to say, when he is playing the striker role and not the flank attacker as he was used in Costa Rica at first.

Although I think we've got a real talent in AJ, you can't keep EJ off the field based on how he is finishing at the MLS level and internationally, especially on set pieces, which is how we're going to really get the business in Brasil next year, IMO. Win a corner, score. Shut them down, score on a counter. Win the game. Move on.

LuckofLichaj repped this.
  15. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This "Win a corner, score. Shut them down, score on a counter. Win the game. Move on." Sounds so much like BB's game plan. I hope we can play beyond those expectations.

truefan420 repped this.
  16. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I think EJ has done very well vs. CONCACAF competition. Has he had any good friendlies vs. European/quality sides recently (sans Mexico)? Cant quite remember. I was excited to see how he'd do versus an upper tiered opponent in Bosnia, unfortunately that didn't go so hot. I think once AJ gets a chance this next cycle - I think he's really going to take advantage of it. I wouldn't say he's going to "surprise" people because he has ~27 goals in his past 38 matches with his clubs and has gotten off to a great start with AZ - so I think it's expected he's going to do well.

By the time the WC roles around I can definitely see him and Jozy up top in the 4-4-2

17. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You bring up a good point, EJ is on fire but his record shows that he gets cold vs. Euro teams, or is it Euro playing fields?

ckl26 repped this.
  18. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In terms of the international level, because we're talking about the national team here, we have a case where we've got a lot of data on one side and very little data on the other side. For me, I just want to see Aron given a chance to make a case for himself with the national team these next two qualifiers. Perhaps then, and not until, we can begin to have a more meaningful conversation about this.

Mr Martin, Luis Suarez and truefan420 repped this.
  19. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Bob Bradley's Mexico game plan was closer to "Win a corner, score. Survive a couple of near misses, score on a counter. Hey, this is fun! No point defending now ..."

20. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    This is what I worry about. AJ showed me more in those 35 mins vs. Bosnia did then EJ the whole match. I wonder if "Europe" sort of haunts him because he had such bad experiences?

21. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing is true about EJ...HEAT doesn't affect him like our euro based players.

22. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to point it out, AJ has only started 4 matches, and he has 4 goals. I agree with the sentiment that we don't have quite enough data on AJ yet though.

23. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    EJ scored a goal against Bosnia in the way of recent performances against non-Concacaf competition of good quality. To put things into perspective you'd have got back to '09 to find Donovan scoring a non-pk goal against the same.

Reading the comments about AJ the vibe I get is 'he's cute kid who looks like a young Kevin Bacon, and he's plays attractive soccer'. Hopefully he can score more than pk goals in his domestic league as he is a striker.

24. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This lost a lot of credit for me when it said that EJ's passing was very strong.

WrmBrnr repped this.
  25. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EJ didn't have anything to do with scoring that goal tho. Jozy did the hard work and set him up for a tap in.