Aguirre what ifs

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by Rojinegro1, Feb 10, 2013.

1. ipaman

ipaman Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    HOUSTON, TX
    wouldn't a good coach use possibilities/scenarios/matchups/etc... in the warm up matches??? then explain to me if starting bofo was a smart tactical solution, then why the hell did we not practice that solution in any of those damn warm up games.

instead aguirre tried this for the first time in an elimination match!!! sorry brosef, that's sounds like panic move to me not tactics.

nicamex1935 repped this.
  2. elvasco

elvasco 100% Americanista

Sep 10, 2006
    in my defense I was drunk.......... oh wait you mean Aguirre then yeah damn him.

Rebaño_Sagrado and Hecho en Chivas repped this.
  3. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    IMD was drunk? That changes everything

el-choul repped this.
  4. Pirru

Pirru Member+

Sep 21, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Are you serious? Presta pa' andar iguales.

I agree about 2010...But

Cuauhtemoc was a beast in 2005-2006

Lavolpe bullshit.

---------------------------

Conejo was shitting himself in the first game...almost cost us a goal...

nothing to do against France

nothing to do against Uruguay

I only blame him for the third goal against Argentina.

A taller keeper makes the save.

We will go to the WC

without a keeper with WC minutes/experience.

Kaney, LGRod and nicamex1935 repped this.
  5. Regulus Tera

Regulus Tera Member+

None
    Mexico
    Sep 10, 2012
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Bringing a close-to-retirement Alberto García Aspe into the World Cup match vs the USA when we were two goals down is pretty close, in my opinion.

6. Regulus Tera

Regulus Tera Member+

None
    Mexico
    Sep 10, 2012
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Woah, since when are we allowed to play with twelve players?
    Beating South Africa would have still put us under Uruguay. The match against the charrúas was the turning point, and we didn't take advantage of it.

LGRod repped this.
  7. nicamex1935

nicamex1935 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Excuse the typo, obviously meant 4-3-3.

Before the mistake, in that same post, I mentioned 4-3-3 several times.

8. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    Aspe had been our captain and leader for all of the 90s and had scored in both the 94 and 98 World Cup, the fact that he is even compared to Bofo, is insulting.

9. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Best choking performance by a captain in 94, followed by rafa in 02.

10. Baysic

Baysic Member+

Jun 11, 2009
    The Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    lol dumb thread.

What if during the WC Aguirre and Company were traveling and right in front of me they swerved and fell off a South African cliff.....only hanging on by a branch, and with me coincidentally there Aguirre last words were "Baysic my child, go....go....lead mexico to victory!", then i successively benched guishe, sacrificed Bofo and Conejo to the gods in order to restore el Cuauhs youth, Played chicharo and guardado, memo.

#success.

LGRod and yaboy repped this.
  11. Overachiever

Overachiever Member+

Nov 18, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It seems nadesque lol

12. Panfilo

Panfilo Member+

May 9, 2003
    INLAND EMPIRE
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    What if we produced better players?

We wouldn't have to depend on a coach or a system or the other team not finishing their chances.

We'd win because well we just have better players.

Its amazing how much your win percentage goes up when you have better players.

What I'm trying to say is that if Aguirre would have picked the best players in the best formation, Argentina and Uruguay would probably still have won. Its called better players. I mean Argentina had cokehead coaching them for crying out loud and they still walked the first 4 games.

Hecho en Chivas repped this.
  13. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    I've debated about this before with you but you are right with Argentina but Uruguay? They did alright but what was so better of them? They didn't look overly impressive before the Mexico game. And they got to the semifinals but it wasn't walking thru. They struggled against the worst team of the 2nd round in South Korea. Against Ghana they needed a handball and a horrible PK by Asamoah Gyan to beat them. And if it was just about better players, then they should have done better in the olympics especially in that group. They are not the same case at all. It really did hamper us to have a coach make those mistakes against Uruguay.

14. Baysic

Baysic Member+

Jun 11, 2009
    The Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Better in the Olympics lol? Whats funny is that only one mongo the forum had them as favorites concerned with the world cup performance.

Thing is they came into the Olympics with a tie against the mighty Tunez(who?) and Egipto. Better players wasn't the case.

what do i know though, "good posters" always attack the obscure out of the box angle mirite?

LGRod repped this.
  15. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Braulio Luna looked well in the callups Aguirre gave him. Aguirre should have given him the nod.

Kaney, yaboy and LGRod repped this.
  16. Manolo Rodriguez

Jul 1, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Por cierto, saludos a Tepatitlán, donde siempre me tratan de maravilla!

What I sometimes think about is that both Lavolpe and Aguirre used a player in a knockout game against Argentina that hadn't played at all in the first round.

Lavolpe used Guardado in 2006 and Aguirre used Bofo in 2010. Maybe when you're playing against a team that's better on paper you inevitably get attracted to the idea of a new, unexpected formation to leverage the surprise factor.

I must confess that when I saw the lineup, after my initial disbelief, I thought it could really work.

17. Phenom

Phenom Member+

Apr 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    No way in hell Guille was a better decision than Conejo. Guille was useless every single game. It has nothing to do with xenophobia. Conejo wasn't my choice as the starting GK by any means but he did not lose us any games or cost us goals.

LGRod repped this.