African club football

Discussion in 'Africa' started by dinamo_zagreb, Feb 7, 2013.

1. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I was wondering, and I don't see any thread related to this... are there any suggestions from FAs in Africa for CL and CC format changes?

What are local fans' thoughts on these competitions formats? Do you find CL and it's 2 groups of 4 teams not enough for elite stage or it is just fine?

2. fred2265

fred2265 New Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think it is fine as it is right now.[​IMG]

3. staafros

staafros Member

May 22, 2013
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  4. mastermoo

mastermoo Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    i think the format is perfect the way it is, i just wish CAF wasnt so greedy and made it cheaper to put on tv. even in africa its had to watch the matches, its ridiculous

Unak78 repped this.
  5. gogowami

gogowami New Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I think the format is fine for now. But I'm ony concern with CAF and Africa as a whole, y are this games not shown in 95% of Africa. Exposure is what this competion needs. I'm only folowing because my team Orlando Pirates is playing if it was not about them I DON'T THINK I WOULD KNOW ABOUT IT.

Unak78 repped this.
  6. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    The exposure for club football is a problem for African teams in general. In much of West Africa European football is much more prominently followed than local leagues. Nigeria's league in particular needs more private investment.

zahzah repped this.
  7. Rodrigo Pinto

Rodrigo Pinto New Member

Mar 2, 2014
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    I already think the competition might be in the format of the UEFA Champions league. Where we would have a period of 8 groups of 4. Countries 1-3 ranking would have 4 teams, the 4-6 3 teams, the 7-9 2 teams, the 10-15 two teams and one team each others countries. Making a similar simulation with the UEFA'd have the following groups this year:

Al Ahly - Egypt
    Bayels United - NIGERIA
    Sewe Sport - CDM
    Real Bamako

Esperance
    Kabuscorp
    Es Setif
    Nkana - ZAM

Raja Casa Blanca
    Vita Club
    Coton Sport
    Asante Kotoko

Kano Pillars
    Zamalec
    ASFA Iennega
    Al-Merreik-SUD

Ismaily - EGI
    Les Astres
    AC Leopards
    City Kampala - UGANDA

Enyimba
    AL Hilal Sudan
    USM El Harash
    Far Rabat

Etoile Sahel
    Supersport
    Mazembe
    Kaizer Chiefs

Sfaxien - TUN
    Berekum Chelsea
    Dynamos - ZIM
    Maria Gor - KEN

8. Sunset

Sunset Member

Oct 29, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    I personally don't like the format, I've been hoping for a while, that they would double the amount of teams in the group stage, because it just gets boring seeing the same teams over and over again. And it'll make it less likely for teams from the same nation to be grouped together, like what happened to Zamalek & Al Ahly for the past two years, or what happened in the CAF CC a couple of years ago where there were three Sudanese clubs in the same group :eek:

9. mastermoo

mastermoo Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Great day of CAF Champions League action

Al ahly knocked out by its Libyan name sake Al Ahli benghazi (won both home and away AND their 'home' game was in tunisia), and DR Congo clubs are looking good with both Vita and Mazembe making the group stage.

Who do u guys think will make it tomorrow, and do u know any good sites to find highlights from this competition?

10. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I wanted to ask the same.

I am shocked to see Al Ahly missing group stage, but that's great news for the tournament, new team to win title. Also, this result showed that everyone can beat everyone so maybe 16 teams group stage would be good, it might be time to start working towards expanding it.

11. mastermoo

mastermoo Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    this guys page has alot of games, heres the al ahly vs al ahli game. I think the most important change would be better marketing and more prize money. Right now the winner of south africas league gets more money than the continental champ