Afghanistan Football Thread

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by stimory, Dec 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think the reason that they haven't entered is that there was the Afghan general election going on when the countries were asked to submit their application forms. Since the counting process wasn't over, it wasn't clear who would be heading the Afghanistan FA and by the time the result was declared and Karzai declared the winner (there was some controversy in the election, which meant further delay) the last date for application had passed. Or something to this effect. I read it a few months ago in the Times of India.

2. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    If the Prime Minister of Afghanistan had any say in the running of the Afghan FA then FIFA would immediately suspend the nation for interference, so it can't be for this reason.

But lets face it, yes we want to see Afghanistan playing football on the AFC playing front, but they aren't going to be world beaters. There will always be a bigger footballing nation in the AFC that stand in their way, and this will always be the case until they have some sort of stable society.

3. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't think he had any say. Just that due to the election/counting, every other office in the country was shut so the FA missed the deadline. The Afghan posters here might be able to tell us better.

4. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    How long have the offices been closed for?

But if this is the reason, then they deserve not to take part. They would have been given plently of notice to enter and chose not too.

5. stimory

stimory Member

May 13, 2008
    A group of people suggested a new nick name to the National Team of Afghanistan. The new nick time is "The Hindukush Boys".

Currently, most people call the National Team as "Team Mellie" which is the same as that of Iran's. Because both Afghanistan and Iran speak Farsi, there would a misunderstanding between the nick names of the two countries. And because most people knows the Iranian team by the nick name of "Team Mellie", it would be good for Afghanistan to pick up a nick name which shows the identity of the country more clearly.

The description is here in Farsi: http://afghansportnews.blogfa.com/post-368.aspx

Afghanistan is famous for its mountains and particularly the Hindukush ranges which is located at the center of the country.

Let's hope the new nick name attracts the support of people.

But, the most important thing is that the Hindukush Boys play and practice.

6. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I don't think it will catch on.
    As you said, Parsi is spoken in Afghanistan and it's only natural to call it team melli no?

7. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    I totally disagree with this so called new nickname. "Team Melli" is not a nickname but an interpretation from Farsi/Dari to English. "Melli" means national so Team Melli is a mere meaning of The National Team...

It is directed towards most sports codes as "National Team" is translated to "Team Melli" in farsi/dari or "Melli Team" in Pashtu.

8. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Personally I don't think they should change anything.

What happens in a couple of years time when another nickname is brought up? Do they continue changing?

9. stimory

stimory Member

May 13, 2008
    There is a poll going on currently on http://www.afghansportnews.blogfa.com about the nick name. However, it is only in Farsi.

The options to choose are:
    1. Men of Ariana
    2. Army of Ariana
    3. Lions of Ariana
    4. Eagles of Ariana
    5. The Hindukush Boys
    6. Team-e Melli
    7. Other option. Write your suggestion.

Ariana is the ancient name of Afghanistan.

10. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ^^^^^
    Lions of Ariana? Does the terrain of Afghanistan make it possible for lions to inhabit the place?? Just asking.

11. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    "Team e Melli"

Keep it simple and keep it the same, thats what it has been referred to for centuries,

12. squidpants

squidpants New Member

Feb 15, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kind of off-topic, but does anyone have or know where I could get an Afghanistan national team jersey? I'd love to have one but haven't seen any online. Thanks!

13. Team Melli forever

Jul 11, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    That's already being used by Iran.

14. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    But do they have intellectual property rights and copy rights on the name? :p

15. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Its not something that "Iran" can hold onto, its not a nickname but more so a translation of "The National Football Team"

Unfortunately the Varsi/Dari language is similar, which team e melli is used by both nations..

16. Team Melli forever

Jul 11, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I understand but no two teams in the world have the same nickname as far as I know. Since we're already using Team Melli it only makes sense for Afghanistan to choose something else. Sorry but we picked it first :D

17. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    nice try buddy, but ever since the creation of the language has the term 'Team e Melli' been used to refer to the national football team of Afghanistan, and thats how it will stay!

18. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    sweet!
    When AFG joins the motherland we won't have to fight over the name!
    *runs away"
    :D

19. Boca

Boca New Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    here is current afghanistan squad with positions players play:

Hamidullah Yosufzai - GK

Yusuf Barak - RB
    Muqadar Qazizadah - RB
    Zakria Rezai - CB
    Faisal Sakhizada - CB
    Ali Azara - RB and RM
    Ali Yarzada - CB

Sayed Maqsood Hashemi - CM
    Obaidullah Karimi - Offensive allrounder
    Saboor Khalili - CM
    Harez Habib - CM
    Djelaludin Sharityar - DM
    Waheed Nadeem - CM
    Israfeel Kohistani - LM
    Sayed Bashir Azimi - RM

Hafizullah Qadami - CF
    Hashmatullah Barakzai - CF
    Mustafa Hadid - CF
    Bilal Arzou - CF
    Ahmad Khesraw Ahmadi - CF

20. stimory

stimory Member

May 13, 2008
    Afghanistan Women National Team competed at the Discover Football Tournament in Berlin a week ago. They had 3 losses and one win.

21. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Stigmory- I heard Afg are participating in the Asian games? has there been any preparation? and any foreign players called up?

22. stimory

stimory Member

May 13, 2008
    @ Edress,

I have not heard of such thing, and at least two of the national squad told me they do not have information on the future fixtures or plans of the team. I will keep you posted, as soon as I get any thing new.

23. stimory

stimory Member

May 13, 2008
    AFF has focused on domestic competitions. Most of the provinces completed their Premier League competitions and now A and B Leagues are undergone. Furthermore, the futsal competitions are held in Kabul and Herat during Ramadan.

10 teams from around the country are also competing for U15 and U13 National Teams in Kabul Stadium.

24. ashindia

ashindia Member

Apr 14, 2009
    India,Hyderabad
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Afghan Striker denied a chance to play in I-League(India) after passport issues.

According to source two National team players of Afghanistan were on trail with I-League club Air India and one of them managed to strike a contract but failed to complete the transfer as he could not provide proper paper work.

25. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    thats disappointing- otherwise I feel they could of made an impact to I-league as we saw with Kabul club recently visiting India.

I hope they do end up getting a contract somewhere in Asia.