AFC U22 Championship

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by druryfire, Jul 29, 2011.

1. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    I don't know what there selectionprocess is, but for me, it's not bad. Look at Myanmar, Laos, Nepal for example, they will never host anything much bigger than these qualification rounds or an AFC Presidents Cup finals round, so to be given this priviledge to then hopefully build football in these countries is big for them.

A few years ago these nations wouldn't even enter, now they do, and they are given some kind of responsability, be it making hotel arrangements for visiting teams, or just producing a time table of events, which at times is unheard of in such countries.

Thailand could quite easily of hosted their group which contains Laos, but they do this nearly all the time to the point that even for themselves, to ge tout of the bubble and say a different way of doing it even helps them.

Put it this way, everyone has to start some where, but it is maybe a pity that AFC can't get better media coverage themselves. They push and push the ACL, but they could give a bit more to youth events, if they want the game to grow then they have to do something aswell. But knowing the mentality of most Asian countries and their football, that the TV producers probably don't even know what's happening until it's happened.

2. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Drury, I am watching the events on wikipedia...

I am laughing :p

3. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay everything is good now. Good job Drury and JimfBleak.

4. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    me too, panic officially over :whistling:

5. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Bangladesh 1:5 Yemen
    Uzbekistan 1:3 Jordan

Uzbek's make it through by scoing one more goal than Yemen. Yemen played earlier in the day and then Uzbek's took a first half lead against Jordan. Jordan scored all goals in the last 10 minutes. Another goal would have seen Yemen nab 2nd spot.

6. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like it is once again up to India to get some South Asian representation.

Great job Jordan. Doing well at Senior (minus Japan) and u22 level and Uzbekistan is our Russia of Asia.

7. Fureeku

Fureeku Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Maldives
    Nope, just as puzzled as you are. It wasn't as though the countries were incapable of hosting the matches, but looking at the pattern of hosts this time around, I must admit I was meekly hoping that Maldives would get the opportunity. Alas, it wasn't to be :(

The problem is that we know nothing about the matches save the final scores. There's no broadcasting hence no audio/video streaming, no match reports so we have no idea of the match statistics and team performances etc..

Apparently a "Media Correspondent" is part of our travelling party. He basically announces the final results to the Maldivian media and tells them that we played well after every match, by default. I have half a mind to apply for the job.

druryfire repped this.
  8. Kenbi

Kenbi Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  9. jsk14

jsk14 Member+

Mar 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    weird but ok japan...

korea remain on top with comanding 8-1 win over taipei. with 6 of the possible 15 pts secure we pretty much have this one sealed

10. Mussab86

Mussab86 Member+

Jan 20, 2006
    Jabriya, Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    We sent our youth team too and they are doing a very well done job so far :)
    Iraq 2-1 India
    we are topping the group after 2 wins against Turkmenistan and India. Next match vs. Lebanon if we win we probably would secure a place in the finals

11. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Iran 2 - Qatar 1

12. mdhm

mdhm Member

Southern District FC
    Hong Kong
    Nov 7, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Hong Kong
    28 June:
    Chinese Taipei 2-4 Malaysia
    Philippines 0-9 Vietnam
    Kuwait 1-0 Tajikstan
    Maldives 0-7 Iran
    Cambodia 0-3 China
    North Korea 1-0 Hong Kong

Hong Kong is the third team being eliminated in U22 Asian Cup qualification, as there are 2 matches left only and North Korea and China got 9 pts. They have no chance to compete for best third place too as Yemen was placed 3rd in Group D with 7 pts.

13. Mussab86

Mussab86 Member+

Jan 20, 2006
    Jabriya, Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Iraq 5-1 Lebanon

14. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    India 1-1 United Arab Emirates

We are now in 4th place but if we beat Oman and Turkmenistan (which are both likely) than we could enter as 2nd or more likely 3rd (best 3rd).

15. Nurafshon

Nurafshon Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Germany
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    at wiki it's written that only players born after 01.01.1989 r eligible to play in this tournament which will held in june 2013. They will be 24 years old, how it is then called U22 tournament?:confused:

16. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why were there 23 year olds at the European Under-21 Championships?

Juan Mata comes to mind.

17. Irakien

Irakien Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    In Europe the players have to be U21 at the beginning of the qualification (which last for about two years over there), so the players can be over 21 at the final if they were registerd with the team for the qualifiers.

I guess AFC is using the same regulations.

18. ash123431

ash123431 New Member

Oct 6, 2008
    India 4-1 Turkmenistan. If India beat Oman now in the final game....they might well qualify. India and Myanmar have been the surprise packages in this tournament.

19. Irakien

Irakien Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Iraq 1-1 Oman & UAE 4-3 Lebanon

20. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Iran 2 - 0 Tajikistan

Iran advanced, the last match against Bahrain will not matter.

21. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Big match of the day, Qatar 0:2 Kuwait, sends Kuwait through and knocks out Qatar as they can't get best 3rd place now.

Bahrain also beat Maldives 2:1

As for best 3rd placed team, Yemen currently sit top on 7 points. Malaysia follow on 6 points but can still scure direct qualifcation. India again follow on 4 points and can aslo secure direct qualification but could also come way back in 4th spot.

Group A is the group to watch on the last matchday with Oman - India and Iraq - UAE being very interesting matches.

Myanmar - Malaysia is also a key matchup in Group G.

As for Groups B, C and F, 3rd placed side can't get in. Which would leave us with just Group E to play where Indonesia - Australia in the opening matchup will be key, a draw and we could have a best 3rd placed team from here, a win for either side might just make that impossible.

22. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    I say interesting and then notice that a UAE - Iraq draw would take both teams through. Boring as hell game I predict. Well, i guess they did the hard work in the early stages.

23. jsk14

jsk14 Member+

Mar 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    shouldnt malaysia be the best 3rd place team with 9 pts?

24. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    no, cos u don't count the game against bottom placed side cos group D had one less side.

25. jsk14

jsk14 Member+

Mar 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    i guess thats kinda fair