AFC Challenge Cup 2014

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by shayanAFG, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Fureeku

Fureeku Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Maldives
    The new Head Coach of Maldives Drago Mamic has urged FAM to arrange at least five friendly fixtures between now and the tournament. LOL!

FAM thought they got themselves a Yes Man. Now they must do some work for a change.

2. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    The winner of the challenge cup will know tonight what group they will be in.

3. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Besides Japan, I feel any of the 8 nations in the Challenge Cup will provide a good test for both Jordan and Iraq.

Japan
    Jordan
    Iraq
    2014 AFC Challenge Cup winner

4. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    It's good to face a new team in the Asian Cup, but I think they will end up bottom in the group, whoever it is.

I will follow the Challenge Cup for sure now :D

5. Fureeku

Fureeku Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Maldives
    Well, whoever wins will have about 7 months to come to terms with the fact that they will have to contend with Japan and Iraq. Jordan should not be underestimated either. Really tough group for the minnows.

6. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Palestine, Turkmenistan and Philippines will definitely give Iraq and Jordan a run for their money.

7. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Iraq and Jordan both are too strong for any Challenge Cup team.

Playing in the Challenge Cup against the likes of Afghanistan and Myanmar is different from playing in the Asian Cup ;)

Look what happened to India in the 2011 edition..

8. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #1533 Pelefan, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
    This will be the strongest Challenge Cup yet. I think whoever wins in the Challenge Cup will be competitive in the Asian Cup although making the final 2 in the group for whoever wins the CC will be difficult. Turkmenistan and Palestine have given some of the teams who have qualified in the Asian Cup troubles in the past and many of the other nations have been recruiting strong players with experience in higher division leagues in Europe who will all be available this time because their clubs will be forced to release them, so I don't see the Challenge Cup winner, getting dominated like India did in the last edition of the Asian Cup except maybe against Japan. Group D is the weakest group in this edition of the Asian Cup and I think the 2nd slot is still pretty much up for grabs.

9. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I really don't think any challenge cup side will give trouble to anyone.
    But I really really like "underdogs" teams so I will absolutely cheer for whoever gets there.
    North Korea has a couple of good players in Switzerland and JLeague too but they refuse to call them for some reason, so it'll bite them.

10. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    I agree it will be difficult for any Challenge Cup winner to grab the 2nd slot, but I think they will be competitive and will surprise any team that takes them for granted. Besides I like the idea of new teams playing in the Asian Cup. It happens in Europe all the time.

BTW Dax, is there any chance you could talk to Yuji Takahashi(I don't speak Nippongo) about considering playing for the Philippine team someday. I know he is still part of the Japanese national youth team pool, but I was hoping to basically start the conversation early, in case, he never gets called up to the Japanese men's team. They are looking for tall solid centerbacks in the national team who have had top tier playing experience(A league) and Yuji (185 cm)would fit the bill quite nicely.

11. (De La)Redstriker06

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I think Turkmenistan (Who qualified for the 2004 Asian Cup, btw) and Palestine could give Iraq/Jordan real trouble.

If Palestine have all their players (they rarely do) then they can be really hard to break down and they have enough in attack to cause problems. Some of this was on full display during the WAFF- Bahdari and Daniel Kabir Mustafa were nearly impenetrable and this is despite the fact that Palestine's only competent left back (Alexis) wasn't in the squad and DKM had to shift over to the left continuously to put out fires.

Palestine didn't have Abuhabib or Attal at the WAFF and their attack suffered massively. Had Abugharqud been able to finish his chances we wouldn't have lost to Qatar and we probably beat- instead of tie- Saudi Arabia.

This isn't to say that Palestine are incognito world beaters (they aren't) but the squad they sent to AFC Challenge Cup qualifiers was a B-team. The only sure-fire starter in that squad was Murad Ismail (and maybe Raed Fares). There's a slew of players who were in that squad that didn't even make the preliminary squad for the Challenge Cup proper.

If DKM's team wins promotion outright in Chile (or misses the playoffs) chances are we have him for the Challenge Cup. If we have Bahdari... then our backline is solid even without Alexis.

We might not have Zatara to help in attack but Adham Abu Rwais could do an ok job at filling in for him. Ashraf Nu'man will be key and if rumors are to be believed we could have Imad Khalili in the fold (top scorer in Sweden last season).

It's going to be tough but luck has been with us. We have the more manageable of the two groups.

12. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I guess you mean Kyoto's player?
    He never plays for Sanga anyway, so I think that if the Philippine FA will make an official call for him, he will think about it, I guess. I don't think he is part of the japanese youth pool anymore since a couple of years.
    I'm afraid that unless you have some special contact, I have no idea how I could talk to him and even then, frankly it's something personal that I don't see why anyone would do that. The only ones who should approach him are the Philippine FA.

13. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Didn't he play for the U-18 and U-19 national teams for the AFC U-19 Championship qualifiers in 2012? Is he still being considered for the U-21 national team? If he is not, then it is certainly possible he would consider the Philippines especially if we can qualify for the Asian Cup.

I am not sure anyone at the PFF can speak Nippongo either.

14. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    If you read my post, I didnt mention Myanmar or Afghanistan.. More so Turkmenistan and Philippines can provide a good test for Iraq and Jordan. Not saying that Turkmens or Filos can win, but they can provide a much stern test for the others (excluding Japan).. a much better test than what India done in 2011

15. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    Why are you underrating our team bro. I think we are currently on about the same level as phillipines and turkmenistan but if we get a couple of our players who play in european leagues then I think we will definently be as good or maybe even better....

16. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    I feel overall Afghanistan are probably a bit below the level of Turkmenistan and Philippines. Having said that, Afghanistan have done very well in the last few years and with more focus and development can be a good force against mid-tier Asian Nations.

This is just how I look at it, however, wish all nations the best in the Challenge Cup, and who ever wins, I hope get something out of the Asian Cup.

17. GioGyan

GioGyan Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Netherlands
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Laos
    When are Laos officials going to start preparations and plan some friendlies?

18. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    No, he is not being considered for anything.
    even if nobody speaks japanese in PFF, that's not how it works :laugh:
    faxes are sent in english. I mean, they're not amateurs. They just have to call him up, and he will have to decide. I don't think they're considering it, though

I think Myanmar can win the challenge cup.

19. Fureeku

Fureeku Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Maldives
    You tell us.

20. GioGyan

GioGyan Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Netherlands
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Laos
    Good point.

21. Footballnameh

Footballnameh Member

Aug 17, 2013
    Afghanistan will face Kyrgyzstan on April 13 and Tajikistan on May 4. Both games are confirmed. AFF is trying to organize a match with Kuwait during the second week of May as well.

22. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    North Korea is a challenge Cup side.

23. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #1548 Pelefan, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
    Oh I am sure the PFF will consider Yuji, even if only for the U-23 side to events like the Asian Games or SEA games. They have very few tall centerback prospects.

Aside from former World Cup side North Korea, Turkmenistan had a respectable finish as well the last time it was in the Asian Cup, drawing Saudi Arabia, as well as having close losses to the other teams in the group. I think both CC sides will be competitive in next year's edition of the Asian Cup.

24. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    but that's exactly why I wrote about them... :eek:

25. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    You said you don't think any challenge cup side will trouble anyone..... so you ruled out North Korea straightaway. This is a North Korea that made a world cup but won't challenge in their own region.... OK then.